Beer Snobs (you know who you are)

stevestojan

Yeah, noticed after writing.  Never said it was the best.  It's widely available though, relatively cheap and quite refreshing (regardless of who it's made by).  But I guess this thread went the route of the beer snobs.  I would say if he's enjoying Sam Adams White Ale, he'll enjoy Blue Moon, and not break the bank doing it.

726739[/snapback]

There's whole legions of snobs out there who wouldn't touch anything by a macrobrewery no matter how good it is. Even Sam Adams doesn't get much of a pass on their large volume offerings. Blue Moon isn't the best example of a Witbier, but it tastes decent and is readily available, even in chain restaurants. I have to agree with Johnny Coli. Every beer has its place. While I enjoy craft brew immensley, when I get done landscaping the yard, I don't reach for a Victory Stormking.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, noticed after writing.  Never said it was the best.  It's widely available though, relatively cheap and quite refreshing (regardless of who it's made by).  But I guess this thread went the route of the beer snobs.  I would say if he's enjoying Sam Adams White Ale, he'll enjoy Blue Moon, and not break the bank doing it.

726739[/snapback]

I agree. Blue Moon certainly isn't a terrible beer like Bud, Miller and Coors normally puts out. But like anything else, you get what you pay for.

If you don't mind sharing the recipe for Blue, I'd like to take a crack at it.

726696[/snapback]

Here is a start for you:

Malts/Adjuncts:

14.33lb Belgian Pale

1.76lb Belgian Munich

0.26lb Belgian Aromatic

0.28lb Belgian Caramunich

0.1lb Belgian Chocolate Malt

0.132lb Candi Sugar (Amber)

0.44lb Torrified Wheat

5 grams curacao peel

3 grams fresh ground coriander seed

Hops:

0.75oz Cluster (Pellets) (60 min)

0.25oz Hallertau Hersbruck (Pellets) (15 min).

0.25oz East Kent Goldings (Pellets) (15 min)

0.25oz East Kent Goldings (Pellets) (1 min)

0.25oz Saaz (Pellets) (1 min)

Yeast:

WYeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II if you so not use cultured Chimay Blue Yeast

Specs:

Batch Size: 5 gallons (use a full boil)

OG: 1.087

FG: 1.019

SRM: 16.9

IBU: 25.3

ABV: 9%

Personally, I have not tried this recipe, but it has received some favorable reviews. I have another version at home that I can post this weekend.