What should the Bills do with Clements?

Cutting him won't get you a draft will it. i think not. If we hold on to him somebody is going to way over pay for him. Maybe giving us a OL linemen, draft picks, whatever. I say hold on to him and get paid.

what does it matter? He'll be like 99% of the previously tagged franchise players and sign the offer sheet 2 days before the season starts, and play the season as a Bill.

I say they should cut him right now.  He's becoming the T.O of the Bills. :D

681839[/snapback]

he has to play this yr or he wont get paid.Let him play--and impressively we hope----then use him to move up in the draft next year.simple;):angry:;0nudge nudge wiink wink whose you father...

681839[/snapback]

Upon seeing you started a new thread I figured uh oh he must have done something new. Upon reading the following posts I gather nothing has changed in terms of his actions and that we should do exactly what were doing.

Tag and continue to negotiate with him for a long-term deal that is helpful to us, but since the lowered top 5 salaries for CBs has gone down while the total cap # has gone up we should be fairly tough about negotiating cause we are in the drivers seat.

Ironically, if you personally think NC is a spoiled brat or jerk we are probably in a more secure position if in fact plays under the tag. This will be a contract year for him and particularly given his disappointing year last year he will need to be productive to get the biggest bucks.

In fact he is in such a weak position coming off a year of play which diminished from his Pro Bowl performance the year before, that it would hurt him financially a lot to throw a hissy-fit which got him a rep as a bad teammate.

He strikes me as not being an equivalent to TO at all, because TO is a jerk but he is a jerk that is one of the best WRs in the NFL. Clements has done nothing TO like such as going on TV to trash his QB and he is no where near seen as gamebreaking a player as TO is.

We are in very good shape in the NC situation and I am surprised people would be so cheesed about it without something new happening.

681839[/snapback]

how the hell is he becoming the TO of the Bills???? guess I missed all the disruption that Clements has been making....all the ridiculous interviews with the media ripping the team and other players

do you have any clue about the franchise tag and the process every team goes through when they tag a player

how annoying is it when people post completely moronic statements without any thought or clue to what they are talking about...why dont you learn a little about the NFL before you start clamoring that someone is acting like TO

what does it matter? He'll be like 99% of the previously tagged franchise players and sign the offer sheet 2 days before the season starts, and play the season as a Bill.

681853[/snapback]

You know, if Seattle had cut that no good, bum, SOB, bastard, rat !@#$, turncoat Walter Jones they might have made the Super Bowl :D

681839[/snapback]

How stupid could that be? I've never heard NC say anything near the level of T.O. All he said is he wants to be paid, and he has that right.

The solution with NC is simple. He stays a Bill unless a team offers a 2007 1st rd pick. If nobody ponies up this year then re-franchise him next season, and trade him. NC will still be playing for a long term contract, and there is a good chance his value will increase next season. On top of this we need his expertise until our new rookies come of age with a years experience.

You pay him the franchise $ this year & see what you have in this year's draft during the season. If he's expendable, you try to trade him & if not, let him go UFA. If you didn't find his replacement in this draft, you sign him to a long term big $ deal. There is no other answer to the question.

You pay him the franchise $ this year & see what you have in this year's draft during the season.  If he's expendable, you try to trade him & if not, let him go UFA.  If you didn't find his replacement in this draft, you sign him to a long term big $ deal.  There is no other answer to the question.

681992[/snapback]

Ditto, except for the letting him go UFA part.

I wouldn't sign him long-term this year. I hope he plays great in 2006 and I tag him again and get a first rounder for him. Why not just sign him long-term next year? It's an option but I don't think we can afford to pay him top cornerback dollar and still build the lines, especially since Whitner will already get top 10 dollars in this draft.

I think this is a total no brainer. Let him be the franchise player this year. There is zero question that he will sign his tender and play. Stick to your guns or raise your price a little to try to sign him long term. See how he plays this year in a new defensive system. See how Youboty plays and then determine at the end of the season if A) Clements picked up his game and is worth the big bucks, and/or b ) Youboty is ready to take over. Then try to franchise him again and see if you can con some team out of a draft pick if Clements does not play great. Otherwise, if he is a stud and this team looks to be on the rise, consider your cap but pay him the bucks.

Cutting him won't get you a draft will it. i think not. If we hold on to him somebody is going to way over pay for him. Maybe giving us a OL linemen, draft picks, whatever. I say hold on to him and get paid.

681847[/snapback]

Clements is saying that if the Bills don't sign him to a long term contract he will be a holdout. I say get rid of him before he becomes a problem.

Clements is saying that if the Bills don't sign him to a long term contract he will be a holdout.  I say get rid of him before he becomes a problem.

682050[/snapback]

Okay, seriously. Just think about it. LSI Cadets is Nate Clements. You think you're one of if not the best CB in the game. You're trying to be paid that way but the Bills, your team, are not offering as much as you think you deserve, so you have turned down their long term offer. You now have a grand total of two choices. Sit out the year and get zero, and still have the Bills hold your rights next year, which would make two down years in a row. Or play for 7.2 million this season, which is twice as much as you have ever made, and about what you would get if you signed the huge contract, and prove you are the greatest in the league no matter what anyone says. There is zero chance of Nate sitting out the year. There is very very little chance of Nate making any threat and having the Bills cave in thinking Nate is going to sit out the year. There is only a handful of players who have ever sat out the year and I don't recall any of them being a good idea or advantageous in retrospect.

Okay, seriously. Just think about it. LSI Cadets is Nate Clements. You think you're one of if not the best CB in the game. You're trying to be paid that way but the Bills, your team, is not offering as much as you think you deserve, so you have turned down their long term offer. You now have a grand total of two choices. Sit out the year and get zero, and still have the Bills hold your rights next year, which would make two down years in a row. Or play for 7.2 million this season, which is twice as much as you have ever made, and about what you would get if you signed the huge contract, and prove you are the greatest in the league no matter what anyone says. There is zero chance of Nate sitting out the year. There is very very little chance of Nate making any threat and having the Bills cave in thinking Nate is going to sit out the year. There is only a handful of players who have ever sat out the year and I don't recall any of them being a good idea or advantageous in retrospect.

682066[/snapback]

I guess.......I see where your going with this. :D

I think part of the new CBA is that you can't use the tag two years in a row on the same player.  Can anyone confirm this?

682090[/snapback]

I don't think that is true. Have never seen it. I think there is a new rule about the franchise player and his second year but that isn't it.

After last years frankly mediocre performance, I don't think he's worth the 7.2 mil they're offering him this next season, and there is NO WAY he is worth some six year fifty some odd million dollar contract ala Champ Bailey. Not right now, IMO.

If he plays well, and shows the organization over the course of the season that he is worth expending this unbelievably large sum of money for, then they will sign him. Until then, the team has other needs that they could use that money to address rather than tying up huge surpluses of money in a player who last year was frankly just par. IMO.

Go Sabres!!!!

i'd like us to keep him, but a franchise and trade for a pick (asuming youtoby can play at that level) would be good too.

if we keep him we have

clements

mcgee

whitmore

vincent

youtoby

simpson

who at that point will be the best dime package in the NFL and a lot of depth at nickle.

along with a 3/4 man line and 2 LBs that would REALLY help us on 3rd and long (particularly with gerry joker not running madden Ds all the time with sellout blitzes at outside gaps)

I don't think that is true. Have never seen it. I think there is a new rule about the franchise player and his second year but that isn't it.

682094[/snapback]

You can tag the same players 2 years in a row with the same rules as used to be (120% of previous salary, or top 5 avg, what is higher) If you tag the player for a 3rd year in a row, he gets the QB franchise tender.

Nate has very little leverage here. After a Pro Bowl 2004 campaign, he is coming off a mediocre 2005 season. Thus, he knows that his stock is especially low right now. That's why he really does NOT want to go out on the free market. He knows that he is more valuable to the Bills than anyone else, which is why he is demanding the big contract with the large signing bonus.

If the parameters were reasonable, I'd hope that Marv would come to terms with him, as we could be buying low -- and fortifying our secondary for years to come. However, something tells me that Nate's demands are NOT reasonable, which is why the stalemate continues. When it come down to the final hour, when the deadline for signing the tag hits, Nate will be smart enough to realize that it is in his best interest to sign the tag and play for free agency in 2007. Considering the draft that the Bills just had, I doubt that they'd re-tag him then, considering the $9 M price tag.