Moulds likely to be cut very soon!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...n_john#20060317

Moulds era over in Buffalo: The $2.5 million average for Bills wide receiver Josh Reed pretty well spells the end of Eric Moulds' days in Buffalo. Reed's four-year, $10 million deal is good No. 2 receiver money. Moulds has a $10 million-plus cap number and refuses to take a pay cut. The Bills have been aggressive in the offseason and will need Moulds' cap room to free up money for the draft and other signings.

:lol: It's going to be hard to see him leave this team after 10 years here, but a least the Evans era begins now.

Clayton's a tool. If Reed's contract is backloaded, his cap load will be like $1-$1.5 million the first two years, with a (worst case) $1 million dead cap hit in year 3 if he's cut. That's 3rd-WR money at best under the new CBA.

Guest BackInDaDay

Reed's been most productive as the slot in Trips, so they should keep him there.

Evans is going to be another JD Hill (That's a good thing, kids) out wide.

So Davis will replace Moulds as the other wide-out. OK, I guess.

Reed's been most productive as the slot in Trips, so they should keep him there.

Evans is going to be another JD Hill (That's a good thing, kids) out wide.

So Davis will replace Moulds as the other wide-out. OK, I guess.

634220[/snapback]

That would be a pretty good WR core except I think Parrish should try playing slot instead of Reed.

Clayton is speculating, he has no facts here. He is saying Moulds will be released soon (the popular opinion everywhere- I think he is staying) based on the fact that the Bills signed Josh Reed to a "4 year, 10 million dollar contract, a good contract for a #2 receiver". The problem is, only Clayton is reporting that Reed signed a 4 year deal. The NFL Network, and two other things I heard and read earlier today (sorry can't find the article now) said that Reed signed a 1 year deal...

Yhen why don't we cut the entire team and sign the practice squad to play for one season. The bills get #1 overall pick in 2007 andand go in the record books as having the worst team ever. then we get a QB with the first pick and sign every big money player available cause we have the room, and become the first team to ever go winless one year and win the Super bowl the next year. Its genius I tell you

Clayton's a tool.  If Reed's contract is backloaded, his cap load will be like $1-$1.5 million the first two years, with a (worst case) $1 million dead cap hit in year 3 if he's cut.  That's 3rd-WR money at best under the new CBA.

634219[/snapback]

Yeah, that quote basically reads as if the new CBA didn't exist. They have plenty of cap room to keep him. Probably not the best use of resources, but they could keep him.

Guest BackInDaDay
That would be a pretty good WR core except I think Parrish should try playing slot instead of Reed.

634232[/snapback]

The last time they moved Reed out of the slot was when Price was traded. That didn't work out too well, which is why Evans was drafted.

If we cut Moulds and want to keep Reed where he's been most productive, we have to use Davis, Parrish, Aiken, Smith, etc. as the other WR. This player will see more snaps than Reed because teams that want to run the ball, as most northeastern teams do, use more 2 WR formations than 3 WR formations. This means you better block, also. Aiken may have the advantage there.

Moulds likely to be cut very soon!, According to John Clayton.

He's been saying this for 2 months.

634233[/snapback]

Well then, he'll have no excuses if he doesn't have enough bandages ready after he gets cut. Will he? Maybe his friend Clayton can run to his aide and stop the bleeding when it does occur.

Yeah, right. NEXT year they will sign STARTING players in FA.  :devil:

634556[/snapback]

I doubt that because, I don't this we will be able to compete with teams like the Browns who have all the money in the world. Next year might be a completely different year. Who knows maybe we will have all the money in the world and sign almost every player who is in FA, like the Brown are doing right now.

Because if we unload this disruptive, rapidly declining malcontent now, we will gain huge dollars toward the 07 cap.

634360[/snapback]

Yeah, that "rapidly declining" guy put up 27 catches in the last three games of the season. :devil:

I won't argue that he's not worth the cash but he's still a very good WR and unless the Bills are actually going to USE the cap space created by cutting him then I'm all in favor of keeping him.

If this team goes into the season with Evans, Reed and Davis as our WRs I think you'll be kicking yourself for your anti-Moulds crusade. Evans getting double covered every down isn't going to be a pretty sight.

Yeah, that "rapidly declining" guy put up 27 catches in the last three games of the season.  :devil:

I won't argue that he's not worth the cash but he's still a very good WR and unless the Bills are actually going to USE the cap space created by cutting him then I'm all in favor of keeping him.

If this team goes into the season with Evans, Reed and Davis as our WRs I think you'll be kicking yourself for your anti-Moulds crusade.  Evans getting double covered every down isn't going to be a pretty sight.

634656[/snapback]

Nahh, it would just support the anti-Losman (or whomever the QB is) crusade.... ;)

Yeah, that "rapidly declining" guy put up 27 catches in the last three games of the season.  :devil:

If this team goes into the season with Evans, Reed and Davis as our WRs I think you'll be kicking yourself for your anti-Moulds crusade.  Evans getting double covered every down isn't going to be a pretty sight.

634656[/snapback]

Not if we draft Vernon Davis. ;)

Sign Wells and Neal and perhaps Runyan and cut Moulds. We easily have the money with the extra 5 mil and it won't break the bank for the future.

We would have great depth at TE with Davis and Royal the blocker along with Everett.

Davis and Everett will open up the middle of the field. Evans and Reed and Andre Davis or Parrish will have great speed at WR.

The line will be Peters at LT, Wells LG, Preston, Neal RG and Runyan RT, with Villarial and Gandy providing solid depth, or maybe Wells plays center with Neal and Villarial at guards.

Draft a DT in round two.

John Clayton is the absolute worst "insider" out there. He's just brow-beating the Bills because his prediction still hasn't come true. He saw the Reed deal and figured it was time to bang the same stupid "Moulds will be released" drum. The Bills would be absolutely foolish to terminate ties with Eric without getting any compensation for him. There are plenty of teams that want Moulds and all Buffalo has to do is wait for someone who's willing to give fair compensation or he'll just keep Moulds for the 2006 season. The Bills will be well under the cap and dumping Eric would blow a huge hole in our offense. A hole that won't be filled in 2006. Marv's a smart man and he knows releasing Eric is a stupid idea. I can't wait to see Clayton's whiney face when he has to follow up on this one. I think it's 50-50 on whether Eric stays or the Bills deal him for a second round pick.

This just in...John Clayton reports that sometime in the Future Eric Moulds will retire...a specific date has not yet been set.

634534[/snapback]

Nicely done.

Clayton is speculating, he has no facts here.  He is saying Moulds will be released soon (the popular opinion everywhere- I think he is staying) based on the fact that the Bills signed Josh Reed to a "4 year, 10 million dollar contract, a good contract for a #2 receiver".  The problem is, only Clayton is reporting that Reed signed a 4 year deal.  The NFL Network, and two other things I heard and read earlier today (sorry can't find the article now) said that Reed signed a 1 year deal...

634275[/snapback]

FWIW (from Allen Wilson of 'The Buffalo News'):

"According to NFL sources, Reed got a four-year, $10 million contract that includes a $2 million signing bonus. "

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060...?tbd1064548.asp

Could the "NFL sources" be Clayton? Funny, but I can't seem to find the specific terms listed anywhere else, either.

FWIW (from Allen Wilson of 'The Buffalo News'):

"According to NFL sources, Reed got a four-year, $10 million contract that includes a $2 million signing bonus. " 

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060...?tbd1064548.asp

Could the "NFL sources" be Clayton? Funny, but I can't seem to find the specific terms listed anywhere else, either.

634925[/snapback]

Interesting. So, Clayton is the one behind the "Nfl sources", or in this case "source".

Interesting.  So, Clayton is the one behind the "Nfl sources", or in this case "source".

634951[/snapback]

Or, Clayton and Wilson talked to the same person...

Yhen why don't we cut the entire team and sign the practice squad to play for one season. The bills get #1 overall pick in 2007 andand go in the record books as having the worst team ever. then we get a QB with the first pick and sign every big money player available cause we have the room, and become the first team to ever go winless one year and win the Super bowl the next year. Its genius I tell you

634305[/snapback]

Did you just see THE PRODUCERS? :lol:

Disregarding what Clayton says; cutting MOULDS is a stupid move by the Bills. They still need a playmaking receiver. Andre Davis, is like a 4th liner in hockey terms.

PAY the man what he's deserved on his contract ya bunch of cheapies!!

Disregarding what Clayton says; cutting MOULDS is a stupid move by the Bills. They still need a playmaking receiver. Andre Davis, is like a 4th liner in hockey terms.

PAY the man what he's deserved on his contract ya bunch of cheapies!!

635307[/snapback]

It won't matter. The Bills wouldn't have enough cap room to sign players if we keep Moulds around. He's asking for around $7 million well according to http://www.billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#031906 we have around $11 million to spend.

It won't matter.  The Bills wouldn't have enough cap room to sign players if we  keep Moulds around.  He's asking for around $10 million well according to http://www.billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#031906 we have around $11 million to spend.

635688[/snapback]

Moulds contract and cap number is already in place. Bills are trying to reduce it for more cap room. The amount listed at Bills Daily already accounts for his current contract. He's not asking for $10.mil. Prorated bonus is $3mil and current contract calls for $7mil.

So there is room $$$ for him, correct?

If so, I say its not wise to cut him. He is still a big threat receiver!!!

636647[/snapback]

Very true. It is hard to find receivers who have 4 touchdowns in 15 football games, let alone a whopping 10.1 ypc!

Now, if you can find one who quits on his football team against their biggest rival, he is truly a keeper.

The Bills should not only keep him, they should give him a raise and extend his contract so we can have him long term.

Eric Moulds has a HUGE long term interest in our franchise, and is just what the Buffalo Bills Football Team needs. I don't see what the hesitation is all about.

Very true. It is hard to find receivers who have 4 touchdowns in 15 football games, let alone a whopping 10.1 ypc!

Now, if you can find one who quits on his football team against their biggest rival, he is truly a keeper.

The Bills should not only keep him, they should give him a raise and extend his contract so we can have him long term.

Eric Moulds has a HUGE long term interest in our franchise, and is just what the Buffalo Bills Football Team needs. I don't see what the hesitation is all about.

636651[/snapback]

Just a hunch here, Bill, but I'm guessing you don't like Moulds? :lol:

Send Moulds packing, but do it this way: Tell him he isn't going anywhere unless he can go find a trade partner. He'll obviously have to agree with the other team to rework his contract upon being traded, which is STANDARD practice. I really think the Bills would end up with a first-day pick in the end; Moulds would end up on a team he wants to play for, and everyone wins inthe end. Of course, this would mean Evans would be the #1, which is a risk, but the team would have a little more dough to spend in the end on opening holes for Willis and protecting JP/Holcomb/Nall.