McDermott Growth/Expectations

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Bad/lazy take.

Jauron was 60-82 as a head coach.

McDermott is 73-41 as a head coach.

Jauron had a .42 win percentage as a head coach.

McDermott has a .64 win percentage as a head coach, which is best all time for the Buffalo Bills, and just below Andy Reid and Bill Belichick's career win percentages.

Dick Jauron had one playoff season in 10 seasons as head coach. He was 0-1 in the playoffs.

Sean McDermott has had six playoff seasons out of seven seasons as head coach. He is 5-6 in the playoffs.

I'm no McDermott apologist, and I'm not sure he's the man for the job long term, but to compare him to Jauron is simply unreasonable and unrealistic.

What do you think mcDermott would be without Josh Allen? What if we took “The right Josh” 

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

As I stated before. Josh is not a panacea, but he appears to be a crutch.

I don’t ascribe to the “maybe we will fluke our way to a championship “ train of thought. 
   He is a generational talent. He should be harnessed and used correctly. IMO that is not what we are looking at moving forward.

That’s fine. We will still make the playoffs this year barring injury.

11 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

It’s a fine line. He’s done a great job turning around the franchise but I’ve expected better growth from him.  For as much as he preaches fundamentals, execution and preparation his teams struggles when it matters most. IMO, this is a big season for him to step up. 

Yeah, I’m leaning towards agreeing with others here.  It seems similar to the situation with Granato and the Sabres.  He’s taken them as far as he can.   Need someone ( dare I say Belichick?) who can come up with the game plans and game calls to get to the next level.

I’m sure many of you, after 3 years, are still not over the 13 seconds game where he calls timeouts before each of the last 2 plays in regulation and they give up big plays.  I’m not.

45 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

i don't care about the jets game...at this point i only really care about the playoffs. in that sense i give credit to McDermott for creating the environment for higher expectations. under his leadership we now have a consistent winning culture and that's no small achievement.

the reason i asked is because in our recent eliminations our defense minded HC has presided over some absolute capitulations. i'm talking worst defense in the league type outings. the fact that it's been happening w such regularity on his side of the ball is why i'm out on McDermott and have been for some time now. he's the tua tagovailoa of HCs- great stats, can't get it done when it matters.

I’m talking about the Jets game.

I answered your questions. 

In what world does a QB that leads the offense to a blistering 16 points, turns it over 4 times including with less than 5 min to go on our own 25, not near single-handedly responsible for a loss?

9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Bill Belichick went 11-5 with matt Cassel, He dragged Mac Jones tot he playoffs kicking and screaming.

Kyle Shanahan has people thinking Jimmy Garoppolo might be the next elite QB in the NFL for a minute and now he's doing the same with Brock Purdy. We all know how Jimmy turned out.

Great coaches get the best out of their players, but you can't get gold from *****.

Bad counter argument.

And McD took a Tyrod Taylor led team with mediocre weapons to the playoffs in his first year.  I'd say that's getting the best out of your players.  Btw, I'm not a McD believer, but I definitely wanted to counter your argument.

13 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

What do you think mcDermott would be without Josh Allen? What if we took “The right Josh” 

The HC that broke the worst playoff drought in football with Tyrod Taylor at QB?

3 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

And McD took a Tyrod Taylor led team with mediocre weapons to the playoffs in his first year.  I'd say that's getting the best out of your players.  Btw, I'm not a McD believer, but I definitely wanted to counter your argument.

My bad....this fact was already called out much earlier in the thread.  It still stands though.

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

The only expectation I have for him is that he cannot lose again to non-Chiefs teams in the playoffs.

if we lose to the greatest dynasty in the NFL currently, oh well.

If he loses to the Ravens or Bengals or Texans in the postseason, he’s gotta go. 

Imo.

This team can't lose to ANY team. 

It's SB or bust

bottom line 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

I hate to sound like a broken record but if we don't get in by a miracle that season blends in with the rest pretty easily. Even worse by plenty of measures. Not enough to anoint the man and the records of teams with elite QB play is plenty to explain away our success. As I said earlier, teams with a QBR of 65 or higher have a better winning than we do in the regular season since 2020. 

image.thumb.png.dd212fcbe8207afe2249bcb48b555a18.png

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

This team can't lose to ANY team. 

It's SB or bust

bottom line 

I know you say that but if the Bills lost a nailbiter to KC again in the playoffs, I think they are 100% safe. There is no bust in the equation imo.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m talking about the Jets game.

I answered your questions. 

In what world does a QB that leads the offense to a blistering 16 points, turns it over 4 times including with less than 5 min to go on our own 25, not near single-handedly responsible for a loss?

I don't have any issue blaming the Jets loss on allen in its entirety

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I know you say that but if the Bills lost a nailbiter to KC again in the playoffs, I think they are 100% safe. There is no bust in the equation imo.

oh yea, i agree McBeane is safe no matter what 

My expectations are SB

For me, it's not the in game decisions that are concerning.  I don't think he has 'the eye of the tiger'.  He's got the 'eye of the process' down pat.  And the process is important.  The culture is right.  But it rarely feels like we have the mental edge in games.  Heck...it looks like he's about to cry most of the time.  Dan Campbell has it with the Lions.  McVay seems to have it.  Reid oozes it.  

Anybody into basketball?  Anthony Edwards absolutely credited his coach after beating the champs yesterday.  They believed they were the better team, even down 20 in the 3rd/15 at half time.  He told them at half-time, "If you do (insert strategy) you will win, if you don't, you will lose."  He went on to say he will call out every player equally if you aren't doing your job.  Do you get those vibes from McD?  I'm guessing he was somewhat scared of Diggs.  

Watched video of Bellichik and Brady parsing tape together before a regular season game.  Two complete pros figuring out a path to victory together.  Do you sense that relationship with Josh?  If he's such a great defensive coach, tell Josh how to beat the other defense.

Finally, and I keep going back to this.....as a Bulls fan who grew up in Chicago.  The switch from Doug Collins (who they won with) to Phil Jackson was the start of the dynasty.  The Bills need their Phil Jackson.  So, either McD morphs into him, or Beane has to swallow hard and let go of the dude who hired him.  Me thinks it will be the later.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

i don't care about the jets game...at this point i only really care about the playoffs. in that sense i give credit to McDermott for creating the environment for higher expectations. under his leadership we now have a consistent winning culture and that's no small achievement.

the reason i asked is because in our recent eliminations our defense minded HC has presided over some absolute capitulations. i'm talking worst defense in the league type outings. the fact that it's been happening w such regularity on his side of the ball is why i'm out on McDermott and have been for some time now. he's the tua tagovailoa of HCs- great stats, can't get it done when it matters.

To respond to your post, I personally think the only way we win a SB with McD/Beane is to just not face KC in the postseason.

Probably a crappy way to look at it, but it reminds me of the Cavs/Raptors in the NBA a few years back. Lebron just destroyed them. Every year. They could have a great regular season, be the #1 seed and they had lost the mental battle before the first whistle blew.

I think McD and the Bills in general (outside of Allen) are there.

I'm not ready to put the Bengals in that rarefied air. But I get why you are.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bearstobills said:

I brought this up in my postalready. McDermott really had very little hand in us reaching the playoffs in 2017. In the two years before he got here, Taylor went 7-6 and 7-8. In 2017 Taylor went 8-6. We finished 9-7 which wasn't any better than Marrone did with Kyle Orton. Cincinnati deserves more credit for getting us into the playoffs. If you want to celebrate the second 9-7 season in 4 years as evidence that McDermott is great, go ahead, but I won't.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

To respond to your post, I personally think the only way we win a SB with McD/Beane is to just not face KC in the postseason.

Probably a crappy way to look at it, but it reminds me of the Cavs/Raptors in the NBA a few years back. Lebron just destroyed them. Every year. They could have a great regular season, be the #1 seed and they had lost the mental battle before the first whistle blew.

I think McD and the Bills in general (outside of Allen) are there.

I'm not ready to put the Bengals in that rarefied air. But I get why you are.

This is my plan for us to win a Super Bowl. Ideally Burrow is out of the picture too in whatever way possible. Also not sure we'd match up to SF, but at least that isn't proven.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

McD played no part in the D absolutely crapping the bed to start the game? His scheme was above reproach?

Could have had Belichick and Landry coordinating the D that night. Wouldn't have mattered.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I especially enjoyed the fake punt with Hamlin.  Genius 

If it worked we'd all be singing his praises because he realized we were too beat up at linebacker to stop the Chiefs offense.  The real limitations being a defensive minded head coach was not stopping that ridiculous low percentage shot play call by Brady to Shakir on 2nd and 9 coming out of the two minute warning imo.  An offensive minded coach wouldn't have approved of that stupid play call given the situation in the game.  That play call haunts me even more than 13 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1