Buffalo has Back to Back League Champs! Bandits #1

Posted (edited)

I was there in ‘93, Chandler, for the first championship on home field (‘92 championship at Philly was unreal).  I wish I had been there last night, but watched it on ESPN+.

So happy for the team, the fans and the city.  I have a church commitment today, will someone please go to the celebration at the plaza today at noon and have a beer for me?

Thank you.

Congrats on #6 in I believe 13 Finals, Banditland!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This championship win is filed under things that make me happy.

My bucket list has "attend a Bandits game" on it. I understand they are quite an experience. Raucous.

Vinc is a helluva goaltender. I believe hockey and lacrosse dynasties come down to goaltending. Like QB is to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

What a great playoff run! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Only went to one game this past season, but I intend to up that to at least several next. The atmosphere is so much better than Sabres games. Such a blast. 

• Like (+1) 3

This play was the dagger. Hidden ball trick. Fooled everyone. Albany was cooked at that point. 

In fact the Bandits used all sorts of Harlem Globetrotters-style moves all night. Stuff I'm sure they were saving for last night.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

What a great playoff run! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Only went to one game this past season, but I intend to up that to at least several next. The atmosphere is so much better than Sabres games. Such a blast. 

I think it shows what a Sabres atmosphere could be like if they were good again.  It used to rock like that when the Sabres went to the finals - the lack of any kind of winning has killed the vibe.

Bandits games are amazing.  Being in Rochester - I enjoy the Knighthawks, but love the Bandits.  I am so thrilled for Banditland.

Congrats Buffalo 🦬!!!

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This play was the dagger. Hidden ball trick. Fooled everyone. Albany was cooked at that point. 

In fact the Bandits used all sorts of Harlem Globetrotters-style moves all night. Stuff I'm sure they were saving for last night.

That was amazing - I rewound that play like 10 times during the broadcast - just unbelievable.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

The Bandits are the most successful indoor lacrosse franchise. No other team comes close in attendance. Is it just because they have always been good? Is WNY, that includes several tribal areas, just a natural for the game? Albany is a very good team but only draws 4,000 average per game. I'm sure the NLL would love to figure out how to duplicate this level of success.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I was there in ‘93, Chandler, for the first championship on home field (‘92 championship at Philly was unreal).  I wish I had been there last night, but watched it on ESPN+.

So happy for the team, the fans and the city.  I have a church commitment today, will someone please go to the celebration at the plaza today at noon and have a beer for me?

Thank you.

Congrats on #6 in I believe 13 Finals, Banditland!

I was at the Aud for the 93' championship game as well. Still can't remember a more electric atmosphere, after Kilgore scored the goal to go up 1 with 30 secs left. Then Tavares wins the ball and rolls it down the floor to run out the clock. It was ***** meyham!

I went to a ton of Bandits games in those first two seasons. That was a hell of a team. This group of guys with Dane Smith seems incredible as well. 

• Awesome! (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What does a championship in Buffalo look like?

THIS!

The Bills would be sssoooo much more intense. I honestly cannot fathom what that would be like. Tears most likely. Almost like I had accomplished the impossible even I will have zero to do with it. I'm afraid however that we will waste the greatest player this organization has ever had. If we can't get 1 with Josh how will we ever get 1. I don't need 3/4 like NE or KC. Just once to have that experience. 

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I love that Buffalo supports Lacrosse!

I played the sport all my life but live in Texas. Very few people here care, so it's cool to see Professional Lacrosse doing well up in Buffalo!

It's pretty big here. They sold that building out last night. And I believe they routinely get 9k a night. Last night attendance was over 19k.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a huge accomplishment for the Buffalo area. When was the last time this happened for a pro team in Buffalo? i know the Bisons were back-to-back league champs in 1997 and 1998 and the Bills were back-to-back league champs in 1964 and 1965. 

49 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

The Bills would be sssoooo much more intense. I honestly cannot fathom what that would be like. Tears most likely. Almost like I had accomplished the impossible even I will have zero to do with it. I'm afraid however that we will waste the greatest player this organization has ever had. If we can't get 1 with Josh how will we ever get 1. I don't need 3/4 like NE or KC. Just once to have that experience. 

It's pretty big here. They sold that building out last night. And I believe they routinely get 9k a night. Last night attendance was over 19k.

They averaged over 15,000 people per game this year

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Whkfc said:

That's amazing! 19k is NBA levels of turnout. Even 9k a game is higher attendance than a lot of college basketball crowds.

I know it's a small market, but I definitely feel like Buffalo could sustain an MLB or NBA team (I know they used to have the Braves).

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

That's amazing! 19k is NBA levels of turnout. Even 9k a game is higher attendance than a lot of college basketball crowds.

I know it's a small market, but I definitely feel like Buffalo could sustain an MLB or NBA team (I know they used to have the Braves).

They averaged over 15,000 per game this year