Changes to Bills Scouting Staff

No one seems to pay attention to the scouting staff but they're one of the most important parts of the team's front office.  The Bills' web site mentions the moves on the staff and who's been added, but not who's been dropped.

I think it would be very interesting to see which scouts found, and contributed to the Bills drafting or signing as UFAs, which players.  Are the ones that Beane listened to, the ones he kept on board?   

This might be a little too hard for reporters to uncover, but it would be a whole lot better than endless articles about the WR situation or where the team will hold training camp (of COURSE it's back in Rochester).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

No one seems to pay attention to the scouting staff but they're one of the most important parts of the team's front office.  The Bills' web site mentions the moves on the staff and who's been added, but not who's been dropped.

I think it would be very interesting to see which scouts found, and contributed to the Bills drafting or signing as UFAs, which players.  Are the ones that Beane listened to, the ones he kept on board?   

This might be a little too hard for reporters to uncover, but it would be a whole lot better than endless articles about the WR situation or where the team will hold training camp (of COURSE it's back in Rochester).

You mad, bro?

So we lost a few guys. Most notably AJ Highsmith who was a Senior National Scout and has gone to the Titans as the Director of Scouting. 

I don't mind saying now he has moved on that AJ was one of my sources within the organisation. Someone I have had a DM level relationship with for a while (pre-dating him being with the Bills). Absolutely top guy and a fantastic talent evaluator. Loss for the Bills but this guy is going to to top. I wish him the very best with Tennessee. He had 3 or 4 teams interested in him. I might be biased but if we move on from McBeane before this guy is a GM he would be my absolute #1 candidate. 

• Like (+1) 16

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So we lost a few guys. Most notably AJ Highsmith who was a Senior National Scout and has gone to the Titans as the Director of Scouting. 

I don't mind saying now he has moved on that AJ was one of my sources within the organisation. Someone I have had a DM level relationship with for a while (pre-dating him being with the Bills). Absolutely top guy and a fantastic talent evaluator. Loss for the Bills but this guy is going to to top. I wish him the very best with Tennessee. He had 3 or 4 teams interested in him. I might be biased but if we move on from McBeane before this guy is a GM he would be my absolute #1 candidate. 

Do you know how high, or not, AJ was on Coleman?

2 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Do you know how high, or not, AJ was on Coleman?

I don't. I did reach out to him pre-Combine when I did my survey of people to try and find ranking beyond the top 3 receivers. But he didn't come back. And I have always taken the approach if someone doesn't answer they don't wanna say. In fairness to AJ he always tends to be more open after the event on thinking and reasons why rather than in advance. So I will try. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

You make it sound like scout Y is responsible for player X.   I seriously doubt it works that way.  It is more likely there is a grading system that is developed and it is a team effort to grade the players in all the various areas.  More a team effort than how you describe.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Every year, we get raided after the Draft. While the jury is still out from this Draft, Beane has an efficient Draft strategy that everyone tries to copy.

He builds great staffs. There is zero doubt. Some of that is the Pegulas money too, but Gaine, Shoen, Morgan have already been taken to be GMs off Beane's staff. TG is a definite candidate for jobs too. Beane is not himself an elite talent evaluator, but he knows how to spot and hire one. He is a great builder of a FO staff.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He builds great staffs. There is zero doubt. Some of that is the Pegulas money too, but Gaine, Shoen, Morgan have already been taken to be GMs off Beane's staff. TG is a definite candidate for jobs too. Beane is not himself an elite talent evaluator, but he knows how to spot and hire one. He is a great builder of a FO staff.

To be fair very few GMS are themselves great talent evaluators 

Most GM's job is to put the most competent staff around them to make his decisions the easiest... Not necessarily rely on his own evaluation

But pay professionals to give him the best information 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be fair very few GMS are themselves great talent evaluators 

Most GM's job is to put the most competent staff around them to make his decisions the easiest... Not necessarily rely on his own evaluation

But pay professionals to give him the best information 

I would say most are good talent evaluators, but they also have so many other responsibilities that they need to rely on a good staff to build a good draft board 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I would say most are good talent evaluators, but they also have so many other responsibilities that they need to rely on a good staff to build a good draft board 

That's true and the lack of full-time scouting can hurt your own evaluations hence having to rely on people

And I haven't checked but I would think maybe around 50 or 60% of GMS we're scouts

While 30 years ago I feel like it was 95%

Edited by Buffalo716