Beane on Green Light with Chris Long

Posted (edited)

Sounds like Coleman was not a guy they really wanted or had to have.  I mean, that was pretty obvious from the fact that they traded down twice and then picked him.  He was in a bucket with a bunch of guys.  He talked about the tiers of WRs and said there was a clear top tier, then made it sound like there was a pretty big drop off to the end of round 1 and round 2 before getting to the 2nd tier. 

To me, this means even a guy like BTJ who everyone had rated fairly highly, was in this tier 2 group and not in the tier 1 group because if he was, I believe they would have done everything they could have to move up the handful of spots it would have taken to get him.  So, guys like Worthy and Legette were probably all in the tier 2 bucket with Coleman and a few other guys and they just took the one that was there.  Frustrating for someone like me who did have several guys above Coleman who in this scenario I would have had more as a late tier 2, top of tier 3 kind of player. 

But regardless, I think they are really hoping to win by having Josh play point guard this year and just get it to the open guy no matter who it is or what position it is.  It's a bold strategy that could pay off if it works, but if it doesn't, it's yet another season of not fully committing to building around Allen and just forcing him to make everyone around him better rather than getting Allen the most weapons possible to unlock even another level for Allen in his career. 

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

Sounds like Coleman was not a guy they really wanted to had to have.  I mean, that was pretty obvious from the fact that they traded down twice and then picked him.  He was in a bucket with a bunch of guys.  He talked about the tiers of WRs and said there was a clear top tier, then made it sound like there was a pretty big drop off to the end of round 1 and round 2 before getting to the 2nd tier. 

To me, this means even a guy like BTJ who everyone had rated fairly highly, was in this tier 2 group and not in the tier 1 group because if he was, I believe they would have done everything they could have to move up the handful of spots it would have taken to get him.  So, guys like Worthy and Legette were probably all in the tier 2 bucket with Coleman and a few other guys and they just took the one that was there.  Frustrating for someone like me who did have several guys above Coleman who in this scenario I would have had more as a late tier 2, top of tier 3 kind of player. 

But regardless, I think they are really hoping to win by having Josh play point guard this year and just get it to the open guy no matter who it is or what position it is.  It's a bold strategy that could pay off if it works, but if it doesn't, it's yet another season of not fully committing to building around Allen and just forcing him to make everyone around him better rather than getting Allen the most weapons possible to unlock even another level for Allen in his career. 

I don't agree with that interpretation...I see it as he was among a tier of players where they felt comfortable spending a pick without spending future assets to trade up, where they saw they had say five players when they were at 28 that they valued equally, so they knew if they dropped to 33 they would be guarenteed to get one of those five.

That doesn't mean they didn't have Coleman as one of their guys they wanted...it's just they would have been equally good with anyone in that tier and they would have been just as pumped to draft anyone in that tier equally...Coleman definitely was their guy, as were several others in that range I'm sure.

They definitely didn't settle...they got who they wanted, added a 3rd and went from the bottom of the 6th to the top of the fifth in the process...they killed it

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I don't agree with that interpretation...I see it as he was among a tier of players where they felt comfortable spending a pick without spending future assets to trade up, where they saw they had say five players when they were at 28 that they valued equally, so they knew if they dropped to 33 they would be guarenteed to get one of those five.

That doesn't mean they didn't have Coleman as one of their guys they wanted...it's just they would have been equally good with anyone in that tier and they would have been just as pumped to draft anyone in that tier equally...Coleman definitely was their guy, as were several others in that range I'm sure.

They definitely didn't settle...they got who they wanted, added a 3rd and went from the bottom of the 6th to the top of the fifth in the process...they killed it

Thank you. I don't know how the hell does anyone get they didn't want Coleman?  We won't know if BTJ was the last 1st round he had rated or not, but they really liked Coleman period.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Sounds like Coleman was not a guy they really wanted to had to have.  I mean, that was pretty obvious from the fact that they traded down twice and then picked him.  He was in a bucket with a bunch of guys.  He talked about the tiers of WRs and said there was a clear top tier, then made it sound like there was a pretty big drop off to the end of round 1 and round 2 before getting to the 2nd tier. 

I disagree with this. Like you said, if they felt Thomas was much better, they could have easily moved up and gotten him. If Beane is to be believed, he didn't even try to move up. And if guys like Worthy and Legette were people they wanted more than Coleman - they wouldn't have traded out of 28 and 32. Especially to teams they knew were taking a WR.

I agree they had a number of guys they liked an equal amount, which is why they moved down twice. But I don't believe for a second that Coleman "was not a guy they really wanted to had to have". I didn't get that feeling watching the interview and I certainly didn't get that feeling with the moves he made. You're projecting your dislike of the pick here.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Thank you. I don't know how the hell does anyone get they didn't want Coleman?  We won't know if BTJ was the last 1st round he had rated or not, but they really liked Coleman period.

If you look at all the work they put into Coleman including a top 30 visit and a private workout, they are is no way they weren’t high on Coleman.  Also they chose Coleman over McConkey and Mitchell. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Daboll was a father figure to Allen when he got here.   Allen was 100% accountable to Daboll in that relationship

With Dorsey, Allen had a much "free" relationship where they would often bantering each other. It is possible  either Allen or Dorsey tried to take advantage of this situation and hence were not accountable to each other. 

When Brady was the QB coach,  Allen (at least on the sidelines) appears to be having more of a professional relationship  and that appears to be continuing as Brady has moved to the booth.  I think this is more of a No-nonsense Professional relationship.  

Allen started playing better under Brady as OC as the accountability of his actions are now to Brady and not to Dorsey.   May be ALlen has realized that having the stronger professional relationship with his OC will help him win games and that was evident down the stretch last season. 

The key question for 2025 is - can Allen and Brady work on building that professional relationship that will take them to the promised land

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, sven233 said:

In the Bills behind the scenes of the draft video they released, back at the combine after Coleman turned in his disappointing 40 time Brandon Beane said he was pleased that his time was slow so they would be able to get him at 28.   Clearly they were interested in him well before the draft.  

Edited by Lost
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, sven233 said:

If Coleman doesn’t work versus trading up into the top 10, at least we were also able to land players like Bishop and Carter who also can potentially contribute to this team.  Plus, we still have a 1st and two 2nd round picks in next year’s draft, to take some other swings.  But to get one of the top three WRs in this year’s draft, would have needed to give up a lot of that draft capital and put a lot of eggs into one basket, while leaving more holes on other parts of the team.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Lost said:

In the Bills behind the scenes of the draft video they released, back at the combine after Coleman turned in his disappointing 40 time Brandon Beane said he was pleased that his time was slow so they would be able to get him at 28.   Clearly they were interested in him well before the draft.  

He never said at pick 28 lol. But yes he did say he was glad he had a slow 40 so that they could get him. He said the same thing about Gabe when he came out when they got him in the 4th. We’ll never know where they had Coleman on their board but 2 things we do know:

1. They knew they could risk dropping down a couple time to get Coleman because other teams wouldn’t have him rated as high

2. There was no WR outside of the top 3 they had conviction on to trade up in the draft for. 

Coleman had the best hands in this draft class so I’m happy to have him because we had too many dropped passes last year. Coleman should NOT be expected to be a plug and play #1 WR that can run the route tree and win off the line of scrimmage with his explosion. That’s not who he is. He’s got a great head on his shoulders though so who knows maybe he’ll get to that level with some hard work and good coaching. I see him being a Higgins type for us and I’m ok with that.

30 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If Coleman doesn’t work versus trading up into the top 10, at least we were also able to land players like Bishop and Carter who also can potentially contribute to this team.  Plus, we still have a 1st and two 2nd round picks in next year’s draft, to take some other swings.  But to get one of the top three WRs in this year’s draft, would have needed to give up a lot of that draft capital and put a lot of eggs into one basket, while leaving more holes on other parts of the team.

If you would’ve guaranteed me we could’ve had Rome Odunze at pick 9 for 28 and losing out on Bishop and Carter, sign me up all day every day. Odunze will be a top 10 WR in this league for the next decade sooner rather than later 

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Allen started playing better under Brady as OC as the accountability of his actions are now to Brady and not to Dorsey.   May be ALlen has realized that having the stronger professional relationship with his OC will help him win games and that was evident down the stretch last season. 

Completely disagree with the bolded.  Allen was having a massive statistical year under Dorsey.  It wasn't an accountability issue with Allen. 

Dorsey sucked.  He didn't prepare good enough game plans and couldn't make enough in game adjustments.  

Josh is a total stud and also respectful.  I can't stand it when fans act like he needs his hand held or has some kind of psychological issues.  

The team played better when Dorsey left because he was awful.

2 hours ago, sven233 said:

No disrespect but I don’t think it came across that way at all.  Especially if you listen to all the Beane interviews, Embedded, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

He never said at pick 28 lol. But yes he did say he was glad he had a slow 40 so that they could get him. He said the same thing about Gabe when he came out when they got him in the 4th. We’ll never know where they had Coleman on their board but 2 things we do know:

1. They knew they could risk dropping down a couple time to get Coleman because other teams wouldn’t have him rated as high

2. There was no WR outside of the top 3 they had conviction on to trade up in the draft for. 

Coleman had the best hands in this draft class so I’m happy to have him because we had too many dropped passes last year. Coleman should NOT be expected to be a plug and play #1 WR that can run the route tree and win off the line of scrimmage with his explosion. That’s not who he is. He’s got a great head on his shoulders though so who knows maybe he’ll get to that level with some hard work and good coaching. I see him being a Higgins type for us and I’m ok with that.

Wonder if they'll go 12 personnel and use Kincaid, Shakir, and Coleman bunched with Kincaid on the line so he can be the one beating press and then Samuel as the weak side receiver and Knox in line... the jet sweep action with Samuel and shifting/ motioning in and out of that alignment... it's exciting.

Then have Cook running counters with Brown and Dawkins pulling...I think this offense could be really cool to watch, I'm super excited

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you would’ve guaranteed me we could’ve had Rome Odunze at pick 9 for 28 and losing out on Bishop and Carter, sign me up all day every day. Odunze will be a top 10 WR in this league for the next decade sooner rather than later 

That doesn't get you anywhere near the ninth pick, so you could sign up all day and all night for it and it would never come to fruition 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

That doesn't get you anywhere near the ninth pick, so you could sign up all day and all night for it and it would never come to fruition 

That’s exactly my point. Would be incredible if Bears would’ve traded the #9 pick for our first, second and third. Teams have done dumber things. Remember a couple years ago when the Vikings traded all the way down from pick 12 to 32!! Lions got Jameson Williams at pick 12

32, 34 and 66 to the Minnesota Vikings for pick Nos. 12 and 46

Wish we could’ve gotten a steal like that to trade up for Odunze. Stupid Vikings 

3 hours ago, sven233 said:

I think they had a good feeling they could move down and get him.  

Posted (edited)

This was a great overall interview, and I have been pounding the pavement all year for people to just start listening to Beane more.  If they had, there would have been no confusion on what they were doing.  He is building a more diverse WR room, guys who are tougher, guys who have YAC, guys who can CATCH, guys who get open, guys with size, etc.  

There are posters on this board who want to argue that Beane hasn't addressed the "receivers" enough while literally overlooking he has invested our first pick (and more) on a receiving weapon for Josh in literally 3 of the last 5 drafts.  Some of those people DONT want to include Kincaid because his designation isn't a "wide reciever", which is hilariously dumb given he was ONLY drafted to be a receiving weapon.  And I love that BOTH Long and Beane mock those people a bit in this interview as well at 10:50 into the interview.  

Beane says and chuckles, "People are sometimes just focused on the receiver room, which I like what we have got in there, don't forget the TE's...its legal for them to catch the ball."

Long chuckles and immediately says yes to this and comments on it with Beane following up with that "team in Kansas City has done pretty good throwing the ball to that guy (Kelce)"

Also didn't hesitate to list Shakir as the most underrated player on offense (especially by soooo many on this board) and Long said he loves Shakir.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Aside from forgoing Coleman, Bishop and Carter, don’t forget we likely would have needed to give up some of next year’s draft capital, like a 1st and a  2nd.  Even if Odunze ends up a top 10 WR, giving up that much high draft capital is a risky prospect for one guy.  And then how do you feel if that one guy tears his ACL in training camp?

• Agree 1