Help Me Understand...Reggie Gilliam's Role

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

I get the general gist of the FB position. However, I only played HS football on the defensive side and don't understand much about offensive line play, formations or schemes.

I just wonder what he does so well that warrants a roster spot. I understand some teams like to "ground and pound" and a guy that is an excellent blocker, opens running lanes, and a guy that catches a few passes and handles short yardage carries as a power back makes sense for some teams.

Gilliam does not seem to do that or the Bills offense. For those who understand Brady's style as an OC and the type of offense we run, does Gilliam become more valuable or remain an anonymous and somewhat puzzling roster spot?

I think his versatility and his willingness to do what ever is asked of him is huge ! He plays ST's i believe & he is not only the loan FB but is also listed as a TE so he has multiple applications with the team & i take it seeing as he does all of that he must be a very smart guy to remember all of his duties per each position .

I wish they would use him a bit more on the offense every time he has been active on offense he has produced which hasn't been a lot but he has when called upon . Maybe Brady will use him more this year than he haas been in the past time will tell !! 

• Like (+1) 1

For the Bills, Reggie is a quality special teams player, that can actually play well on the offense, unlike many specific teams only jags that we have rostered over the years, he is a functional part of the team and is a roster lock imo.

• Like (+1) 1

My guess is he was a wrestler in college and he’s a special teams captain. McDermott loves his special teams captains. 

🤢🤮

13 minutes ago, transient said:

This season I think they have him slotted as WR1

He’s probably faster than Coleman 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, Wizard said:

I get the general gist of the FB position. However, I only played HS football on the defensive side and don't understand much about offensive line play, formations or schemes.

I just wonder what he does so well that warrants a roster spot. I understand some teams like to "ground and pound" and a guy that is an excellent blocker, opens running lanes, and a guy that catches a few passes and handles short yardage carries as a power back makes sense for some teams.

Gilliam does not seem to do that or the Bills offense. For those who understand Brady's style as an OC and the type of offense we run, does Gilliam become more valuable or remain an anonymous and somewhat puzzling roster spot?

Special Teams player and emergency Tight End.

12 hours ago, Wizard said:

This is his 5th year on the Bills. He performs his role very well or else he wouldn’t be one of the longest tenured players on the team. He’s a ST guy and a full back, but could play HB or TE in an emergency situation. I know Beane likes his multi-purpose players. I disagree w/ you saying he can’t block or catch. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have nothing agianst Gilliam. He is actually good at a lot of useless positions on the team. I can recall probably 3 times last year where he made a nice block in run game and I called them out in real time. He does the job he is asked to do well. That is honest praise and not satire.

My issue is solely based on roster makeup and salary cap. 

He is a waste of a roster spot and cap space. He's a prime example of McDermott and Beane roster/cap mismanagement. His cap hit for this year is $2.3M. 

His special teams role should be filled by an UDFA or late round rookie linebacker on the cheap. 

His role on special teams can easily be replaced with a third TE, spare OL, or 3rd RB.  Any of those players could act as a lead blocker for the two plays a game he plays as a FB. Of course this was only made worse with Matakevich on the team who could not play linebacker. 

If you feel you must have a FB on the team, why can't you get a late round rookie to play that role? Instead of wasting a pick on a rugby player you can just draft a FB and use him for a couple years.

If you got rid of Gilliam you can carry 7 WR(5 pass cathcers, Shorter for ST, and a return guy), 3 TE, and 3 RB. Or conversely you can keep 6 LBs that actually could play linebacker if needed. 

• Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Chris "Useless as breasts on a bull" DeMarco redux.  Gilliam must have pictures, is all I can figure.

That was Patrick DiMarco.  Chris DeMarco is an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors.

• Thank you (+1) 1