Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

10 hours ago, Billl said:

The Chiefs took a swing at a starting RB.  It was a massive failure because he wound up being a backup RB.  Buffalo just spend a 4th round pick trying to get a backup RB.  That makes sense to you?

Ray Davis is going to run roughshod over the Chiefs 😎

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Then what/why are you trying to argue here?

In FC's universe, any nameless WR taken after the Bills drafted Ray Davis (#28 in the fourth round) would have been a better pick simply because Davis is RB and not a WR.   That Davis has a skill set that is exactly what the Bills would like in a backup RB, that he likely upgrades the position significantly, and has very reasonable chance of making the Bills 53 man roster is immaterial.

23 minutes ago, SoTier said:

In FC's universe, any nameless WR taken after the Bills drafted Ray Davis (#28 in the fourth round) would have been a better pick simply because Davis is RB and not a WR.   That Davis has a skill set that is exactly what the Bills would like in a backup RB, that he likely upgrades the position significantly, and has very reasonable chance of making the Bills 53 man roster is immaterial.

Doc isn’t even responding to me lmao.

Have the courage to tag me baby. 

20 hours ago, SCBills said:

If you're going to go in on a big investment at WR, either via FA or a trade next year, why wait?

That's the part I don't really get. 

Why purposefully leave that bullet out of the chamber this year, in one of Allen's prime years, if you plan on doing it anyway next year. 

To what?... Save your RD2 pick and provide a slightly cleaner cap because you didn't have to make room/push money down the road by bringing said player in this year?

To me that seems illogical.  

If you're looking to make that move next year, you should explore making it this year.  

If you want to see how Coleman, Shakir and Kincaid show out this year before seeing if that move is necessary, then you wait. 

I think the reasons to wait are:

1. They don’t have cap room this year to sign a big free agent or add a star through trade.

2. Trading next year’s picks to move up this year would have meant not getting full value for those future picks (discounted by a round in trades) and would leave them unable to address other key needs next year (DE, another S, CB…)

3. It would have been very difficult to find a trade partner for one of the big 3 or ThomasJr.  

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is very interesting. He's WR4 immediately IMO. Possibly more snaps too since he's a good run blocker

I agree....based on his contract, speed, size and vet experience he will immediately assume the WR4 spot. His drops are still a concern but if he can stretch the field  and keep the safeties honest, then Josh should succeed. But I still wish we double dipped (Franklin) in a rare loaded wr draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/14/2024 at 7:36 PM, DrMaxPower said:

This place has been miserable AF since the draft. The worst it's been since 'Wrong Josh'.

Everyone wanted a Playstation for Christmas but when they came downstairs, there was a bike with socks and underwear. Instead of realizing that there's nothing wrong with a bike and we really needed new socks and gotch, it's tantrum time.

Are we going to have to endure this endless whining for the next 6 months? Sounds like a fun way to be a fan...

Last off-season people were losing their minds because they intended to run Spencer Brown back out there and they didn't sign a MLB. They said their guys were in house and they believed in their development. Seems to have worked out OK. That's what good teams do.

Can we not take a breath and wait and see? 2nd best record in the league over the last 5 years says they deserve at least a bit of confidence. They aren't the morons people want to make them out to be.

I'll admit it, Bernard was a pleasant surprise at MLB. But he ultimately didn't hold up a full season, as an undersized MLB. A risk we will run every year. But I was right in that we still didn't do enough to get over the hump. We needed a better option outside of Gabe Davis and Harty and Sheffield were not it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

I'll admit it, Bernard was a pleasant surprise at MLB. But he ultimately didn't hold up a full season, as an undersized MLB. A risk we will run every year. But I was right in that we still didn't do enough to get over the hump. We needed a better option outside of Gabe Davis and Harty and Sheffield were not it.

He missed one game last year.  Admittedly it was a big one, but even Edmunds, who is huge, missed 9 games in his 5 years with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is very interesting. He's WR4 immediately IMO. Possibly more snaps too since he's a good run blocker

I do think we need to tap the breaks a little, this is a guy who had a 7% drop rate and 54% catch rate last year. 

30 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I do think we need to tap the breaks a little, this is a guy who had a 7% drop rate and 54% catch rate last year. 

A starving man is happy to get a bowl of rice.

At the beginning of the offseason, the WR receiver room was pretty much empty: one quasi-legit starter and not much else.  Signing a guy who once had 690 yards is pretty exciting for some of us, even if his hands were carved from stone.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Billl said:

I’m literally saying the exact opposite. The top few picks are all about the players.  Any idiot can draft MHJ.  By the end of the first round, the GMs matter much more.   Beane let the best of the best pick ahead of him. He let the fattest guys at the buffet cut in line. 

It doesn’t matter as much where you’re picking once the blue chips are gone as it does who you’re picking behind. I’m not interested in letting elite GMs take their guys first and hoping they get it wrong. 

No, Beane was the doormen who took KCs money to bypass the line.  He knew who he wanted and he rolled the dice that the best gms in the business weren’t in the market for Keon Coleman.  So he got free upgrades.  You can twist words and  pretend like you have a clue, but you don’t.  Looking at our team Worthy and Pearsall weren’t in contention.  We knew Carolina wanted Legette.  We drafted a WR version of Josh, Tremaine, Rousseau and elam.  A big and athletic human being. 

You’re taking Beane for a fool. He’s not that.  

Yet again, it’s expected.  That’s why you’re here.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

A starving man is happy to get a bowl of rice.

At the beginning of the offseason, the WR receiver room was pretty much empty: one quasi-legit starter and not much else.  Signing a guy who once had 690 yards is pretty exciting for some of us, even if his hands were carved from stone.  

Stefon Diggs was a quasi-legit starter? :lol:   Man the homer's have no shame.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I look at it as a good signing. Expecting Coleman out of the gate to play the X and w/ no one else on the roster capable was a tough ask. MVS helps out here and provides that field stretching factor. That allows for more mix and matching at the Y&Z. Claypool while a dark horse  "if he can ever..." would be a huge bonus. Hamler if he can stay healthy...etc. Seems to me Brady hand picked Samuel and Shakir looks primed for a larger role. Then we get to factor in  the TE's and RB's. Kincaid being a yr along in his development(TE's always taking longer), would really love to see him hit the seams more this year(plenty of yards to be had there...). I wanted to double dip at WR and wanted Franklin too, then Walker went off the board and while I would have been happier w/ Rice in the 7th. Love the add of Davis w/ our 4th , tough back should make it through the season and extend both his and Cooks season. Only other place to get Franklin/Walker would have been the 3rd but Carter sounds/looks like a player to me and we needed a young DT. Things are not as bleak as many think, tweaks will come just like today w/ Delaney over Cepheus, it's not even June!!! Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

He will make the roster

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 4:38 PM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

This is an admission by Beane that Coleman won't be able to contribute much next season. 

What is an admission?  Signing MVS? 

Nonsense - MVS has something Coleman doesn't, independent of what he may or may not contribute next season, vertical field-stretching speed

Even Brian Baldinger said Coleman has the raw physical skills but he's a project.

Yes, he's the Beane prototype of a low-floor, high-ceiling type high draft pick, but that doesn't mean he won't contribute.

Looks like 

Diggs - replaced by Samuel

Davis - Replaced by MVS

Shakir holds down the slot position.

Only 5 WRs active on game day last season and one was a KR - Harty

Diggs 

Davis

Shakir

Sherfield

Harty - KR

Samuel

MVS

Shakir

Shorter

KR ????

Coleman inactive 

I think your list is way off.

First of all, Diggs is not replaced by Samuel.  Samuel would be a closer analogy to replacing Beasley, who had a skill set we've been lacking the last 2 seasons - though Samuel can line up outside more.  Samuel is not a #1 WR, never has been, unreasonable to expect him to become one.

Last season, Harty was the #4 WR, and Sherfield was active on game day primarily for ST.  He was the Kumerow replacement and intended to sub for Davis or Diggs in case of injury.  Sherfield wound up playing more offensive snaps either in run centered game plans like DAL and LAC (good blocker), because Davis was injured (MIA and 2 playoff games), or because Diggs was taking himself out.  Oh, well, yeah, and because Harty apparently sucked.

Sherfield will be replaced by Mack Hollins.  Hollins is a stud blocker and has been a ST captain apparently like, everywhere he goes

(We're looking to replace a bunch of ST regulars including Siran Neal, Matekavich, Dodson, and Sherfield - so I would give Hollins the edge)

Our KR will probably be RB Ty Johnson or that tid-bit of a 6th round CB we drafted (Daequan Hardy) with Coleman as an outside shot if we don't like him at WR

I would guess the WR corp at more likely:

Coleman

MVS/Claypool (I predict in the end, there will be only one)

Shakir

Samuel
Hollins

battle between Shorter, Shavers, "the battle of the 2nd round picks" Hamler vs Isabella, Thompson, and this year's UDFAs Johnson and Keys 

But

That's just how I see it

I think any "it's going to be tough for him to contribute initially" stuff from Beane and McDermott are just "managing expectations for the rookie" talk, not an indication that Coleman will be inactive.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

josh is now picking his WRs ? Dinner and some fine wine ?
lol

But really , why wouldn't you at this point in his career ?remaining hopeful Scantling finds his hands on a more consistent basis  considering  josh's fastballs :)

1 hour ago, Craig Oi said:

I look at it as a good signing. Expecting Coleman out of the gate to play the X and w/ no one else on the roster capable was a tough ask. MVS helps out here and provides that field stretching factor. That allows for more mix and matching at the Y&Z. Claypool while a dark horse  "if he can ever..." would be a huge bonus. Hamler if he can stay healthy...etc. Seems to me Brady hand picked Samuel and Shakir looks primed for a larger role. Then we get to factor in  the TE's and RB's. Kincaid being a yr along in his development(TE's always taking longer), would really love to see him hit the seams more this year(plenty of yards to be had there...). I wanted to double dip at WR and wanted Franklin too, then Walker went off the board and while I would have been happier w/ Rice in the 7th. Love the add of Davis w/ our 4th , tough back should make it through the season and extend both his and Cooks season. Only other place to get Franklin/Walker would have been the 3rd but Carter sounds/looks like a player to me and we needed a young DT. Things are not as bleak as many think, tweaks will come just like today w/ Delaney over Cepheus, it's not even June!!! Go Bills!!!

Welcome to the boards :)

• Like (+1) 1