Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

Just now, JerseyBills said:

MVS had a solid 22 season and was the back to back SB winners WR2/3 

He'll be our WR 4/5 and paying him 80% less, I like the move alot, add more competition for the final 3 WR spots, see who rises to the top and we can cut the others with no strain on the cap.. 

Yeah MVS is washed up but him being a complementary piece isn't the issue.

The issue is not having a WR1 or even an established, proven WR2.

How it pertains to MVS is that the strategy appears to be "hoping" that 4 veteran receivers who are all coming off seasons where their season's production declined will combine with a low usage vet and second round pick to "in-aggregate" be a sustitute for Diggs and Davis and then some.

As has been said before...........hope is not a strategy.  

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Regardless of what you were replying to your point that the HC was willing to lean on his defense is completely wrong.  

They were attempting the exact opposite by trying to win it with no time left.

So trying to score a TD with 1:55 or so left on the clock was trying to win it with no time left?   Wtf are you talking about?:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How it pertains to MVS is that the strategy appears to be "hoping" that 4 veteran receivers who are all coming off seasons where their season's production declined will combine with a low usage vet and second round pick to "in-aggregate" be a sustitute for Diggs and Davis and then some.

So trying to score a TD with 1:55 or so left on the clock was trying to win it with no time left?   Wtf are you talking about?:lol:

I like our WR room if Coleman is as good as I think he'll be.  Shakir has stud potential,  Samuel could easily have his best year, a Beez/John Brown type year when they came in 19

Kincaid has stud potential. 

Knox is a great TE2

Probably the best TE combo in the game 

I mean we certainly upgraded our WR 4-6 depth, we had Andy Isabella playing a ton of snaps in the divisional round,🤮, I'd take MVS, Claypool, Hollins possibly Shorter shows something after a red shirt year

I see alot of potential 

Edited by JerseyBills

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They could bring Hopkins in and you’d say he’s old and no longer whatever a WR#1or 2 is.  Your shtick is old and tired.  

This season depends on Brady’s play design and Josh getting the ball to the right guy.  One WR will not make or break this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They could bring Hopkins in and you’d say he’s old and no longer whatever a WR#1or 2 is.  Your shtick is old and tired.  

You don't seem to keep up with the regular conversations held on this board. Hopkins was the discussion of the offseason last year. @BADOLBILZ firmly wanted us to sign him. Earlier in the thread you said people aren't naming specific WRs they wanted us to draft. You're just way out of the loop. Which is obviously fine, but it's weird to have strong opinions on this stuff when you're not really paying attention to the discussion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This season depends on Brady’s play design and Josh getting the ball to the right guy.  One WR will not make or break this season.

your brand of pathological condescension is really tough to read and makes this a worse place just fyi

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I disagree.  

We could be a juggernaut if everything goes as planned, but we have a lot of what-ifs right now on Offense due to a lack of a true WR1. 

If we traded for Aiyuk or Metcalf, I honestly don’t know how anyone stops this Offense. 

I firmly believe we will have a Top 12 OL.  Kromer is one of the best in the biz and we have a lot of talented pieces & guys who have been in the system for multiple years on the Offensive Line. 

You give Allen the following:

RB1 - Cook

RB2 - Davis

RB3 - Johnson

TE1 - Kincaid

TE2 - Knox

TE3 - Morris

FB - Gilliam

WR1 - DK Metcalf 

WR2 - Keon Coleman

WR3 - Curtis Samuel

WR4 - Khalil Shakir

WR5 - MVS

Sheesh… Good Luck  

• Like (+1) 2

We found Diggs and Davis replacements last year.  We just phased out being an outside receiver focused offense.  We got more production out of our TE's and RB's and slot WR than any other time since Beasley left.  Running game was a force also.  Most people probably can't even name the guys who started at outside WR for the Pats on any of the SB teams.  Same with the Eagles that beat the Pats and give it a year or two no one will know who started at outside WR for the Chiefs the last two years either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah, it's like the Bills think having 5 WR 3/4s is the equivalent of having one WR1 and one WR2.

Do they also think dating two 5's is the equivalent of dating a 10?

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Tell me exactly what having a WR1 means and then tell me how it helped us in the playoffs so that I know the difference between last year when we had one and now that we don't.  What is it that we will miss?

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

We found Diggs and Davis replacements last year.  We just phased out being an outside receiver focused offense.  We got more production out of our TE's and RB's and slot WR than any other time since Beasley left.  Running game was a force also.  Most people probably can't even name the guys who started at outside WR for the Pats on any of the SB teams.  Same with the Eagles that beat the Pats and give it a year or two no one will know who started at outside WR for the Chiefs the last two years either.

This.  Main thing is the Bills feel comfortable with Kincaid as the primary read and focal point of the passing game.  Shakir, Samuel and Coleman will be Wr getting most of the target share.  Buffalo feels comfortable with this.  They like Coleman and Shakirs potential.  

The Superbowl Champions primary weapons.  Kelce, Pacheco, Rice, Watson and MVS.  Kincaid, Cook, Shakir, Coleman and Samuel is much worst?  Kelce is turning 35, Rice missing time, Hollywood Brown, and Worthy doesnt blow your doors off.  Buffalo does not have the top skill grouping in the NFL.  In its totality they are middle of the road.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Tell me exactly what having a WR1 means and then tell me how it helped us in the playoffs so that I know the difference between last year when we had one and now that we don't.  What is it that we will miss?

We didn't have a WR1 in the playoffs last year and it was a severe handicap in our season ending loss.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

We didn't have a WR1 in the playoffs last year and it was a severe handicap in our season ending loss.

We did, but he dropped passes, including one late in the game that could have led to the win.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

This.  Main thing is the Bills feel comfortable with Kincaid as the primary read and focal point of the passing game.  Shakir, Samuel and Coleman will be Wr getting most of the target share.  Buffalo feels comfortable with this.  They like Coleman and Shakirs potential.  

The Superbowl Champions primary weapons.  Kelce, Pacheco, Rice, Watson and MVS.  Kincaid, Cook, Shakir, Coleman and Samuel is much worst?  Kelce is turning 35, Rice missing time, Hollywood Brown, and Worthy doesnt blow your doors off.  Buffalo does not have the top skill grouping in the NFL.  In its totality they are middle of the road.  

Come playoff time, we have no reason (yet) to think Kelce won't be anything but Kelce.  Rice will be back when it matters.   Brown & Worthy don't blow anyone's doors off, no, but they do play well off Kelce & Rice who operate in the short/intermediate.  

That skill group isn't elite, but Kelce is proven elite / Kincaid is not, yet..  Rice has flashed WR1 potential / Shakir is good, but probably more of a complimentary WR ..  Brown and Samuel are similar players with different skill sets.. And both teams are depending on a rookie Worthy / Coleman.

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

We held the ball for 37 minutes and almost beat the SB champs with Klein as our starting MLB.  The offense was fine without a WR1.  

I'm not saying we don't need guys to make plays but there's a long history of teams winning championships without Megatron playing WR for them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

We held the ball for 37 minutes and almost beat the SB champs with Klein as our starting MLB.  The offense was fine without a WR1.  

I'm not saying we don't need guys to make plays but there's a long history of teams winning championships without Megatron playing WR for them.

if we hold the ball for 38 mins we likely win

similarly if Diggs comes down w that catch we likely win

both those are addressed by having a legit wr1

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I disagree.  

We could be a juggernaut if everything goes as planned, but we have a lot of what-ifs right now on Offense due to a lack of a true WR1. 

If we traded for Aiyuk or Metcalf, I honestly don’t know how anyone stops this Offense. 

I firmly believe we will have a Top 12 OL.  Kromer is one of the best in the biz and we have a lot of talented pieces & guys who have been in the system for multiple years on the Offensive Line. 

RB1 - Cook

RB2 - Davis

RB3 - Johnson

TE1 - Kincaid

TE2 - Knox

TE3 - Morris

FB - Gilliam

WR1 - DK Metcalf 

WR2 - Keon Coleman

WR3 - Curtis Samuel

WR4 - Khalil Shakir

WR5 - MVS

Sheesh… Good Luck  

First, I don't want Metcalf.   He's a talent, yes, but he's never been the kind of #1 I'd like to have.   I don't think he creates opportunities - I think he's a big strong fast guy who catches a lot of balls because he's targeted a lot.  His catch percentage is not great, and neither is his yards per target.  

Aiyuk, on the other hand, would be great.   However, even with Aiyuk, it's going to be about what Brady does and what Allen does.  It's just the nature of modern football - if you don't have right schemes, guys aren't getting open.  And even with the right schemes, you need the QB to find the right guy and deliver the ball accurately. 

And I'd suggest that even without Metcalf or AIyuk. it's a great lineup.  Move up Shakir or MVS into a starting role, or Claypool if somehow he can be resurrected, and I like it.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I disagree.  

RB1 - Cook

RB2 - Davis

RB3 - Johnson

TE1 - Kincaid

TE2 - Knox

TE3 - Morris

FB - Gilliam

WR1 - DK Metcalf 

WR2 - Keon Coleman

WR3 - Curtis Samuel

WR4 - Khalil Shakir

WR5 - MVS

Sheesh… Good Luck  

Maybe it's the homer in me, but that does look like one helluva roster...

It's unclear if we even have the capital to land either of those guys. If we did, it would surely be steep, and our cap situation is not the best. Is spending that much on a single player (and I assume the cost would be considerably higher than what we paid for Von Miller?) a sound strategy? The Bills aren't the only team that might covet players like Metcalf, and Aiyuk. And neither of them have moved.

Of course, there is that June 1st, Tre White cut coming up...

• Like (+1) 1