NFL Ref John Parry joins NFL team (Update: It’s the Bills!)

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thats just a terrible reason to take a timeout.

The challenge is a timeout if you lose. Just challenge it.

The only risk is running out of challenges - but go ahead and take a guess at how many times McDermott has had 2 challenges in one game in his entire 7 year Bills career.

Its because it's better to have a challenge left than not have one left when really need it.  

How upsetting would it be if we had an awful call late in the 4th against the Bills and we didn't have any challenges left?

• Like (+1) 1

This should, at the very least, be interesting. If I can separate my fan feelings for a minute, f this guy doesn't get it right most of the time, it will be funny to see McD lose it.

But you gotta credit them for trying.

19 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Oh good lord no :doh:

It won’t cost you anything, I promise. 

I like trying something new in an attempt to get better. I can’t see how it could hurt, so why not? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Unless John has access to more angles than anyone else, not sure how he can make a decision in real time faster than anyone else.  You have maybe 20-40 seconds to make this decision especially if the other team runs up to the line.  But hey, ain't my money....

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Its because it's better to have a challenge left than not have one left when really need it.  

How upsetting would it be if we had an awful call late in the 4th against the Bills and we didn't have any challenges left?

See but the thing is: as long as you have a timeout left you can call it and then wait for the announcers/ broadcast crews to start making a big stink about the call on the field.

If it's a truly borderline play, then they'll probably just review it-- challenge or not. I mean unless you're the Bills and Collinsworth is on the announce crew that game. But otherwise, it's a valid move 😅

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This makes sense in a vacuum where timeouts don't exist. 

But in the NFL, timeouts are far more valuable than challenges. Which is why it costs you a timeout if you fail a challenge. That is the disincentive to not challenge. 

PS,  take a guess at how many times McDermott has had 2 challenges in one game in his entire 7 year Bills career?

To McDermott's credit, he agrees with me. He *never* made that mistake again (calling a timeout before a challenge) after he did in 2021.

48 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thats just a terrible reason to take a timeout.

The challenge is a timeout if you lose. Just challenge it.

The only risk is running out of challenges - but go ahead and take a guess at how many times McDermott has had 2 challenges in one game in his entire 7 year Bills career.

Im not saying it is a good reason. I am saying it is THE reason. 

How many times has McDermott taken a timeout and then challenged? 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Im not saying it is a good reason. I am saying it is THE reason. 

How many times has McDermott taken a timeout and then challenged? 

He did it once in 2018 or 2019 if I recall correctly, and then he got (rightfully so) bashed pretty bad after the time he did in 2021 and then I never saw him do it again. I think he learned his lesson. 

But my point is simply that I hope having Parry on staff provides a seasoned voice of reason for McD.

McD is a great coach in many aspects but game handling is not his strong suit and I think having Parry on staff could be a great benefit for us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This makes sense in a vacuum where timeouts don't exist. 

But in the NFL, timeouts are far more valuable than challenges. Which is why it costs you a timeout if you fail a challenge. That is the disincentive to not challenge. 

PS,  take a guess at how many times McDermott has had 2 challenges in one game in his entire 7 year Bills career?

To McDermott's credit, he agrees with me. He *never* made that mistake again (calling a timeout before a challenge) after he did in 2021.

I'm not arguing the odds, I know they are slim that we would get to that point.

I just don't want to be that 1 and 100 where I need that challenge and it's not there.

McDermott gets credit for agreeing with you?

24 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

See but the thing is: as long as you have a timeout left you can call it and then wait for the announcers/ broadcast crews to start making a big stink about the call on the field.

If it's a truly borderline play, then they'll probably just review it-- challenge or not. I mean unless you're the Bills and Collinsworth is on the announce crew that game. But otherwise, it's a valid move 😅

The refs can't hear the play by play people talking 

They can't sway their opinion

27 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Who would be waiting for the announcers?

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

We will never know if he is doing a good job or not.  We will have zero insight into how many times McDermott ignores the advice. 

We most certainly will. If they keep him around, he's doing the intended job. If not, he won't be here again.

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He did it once in 2018 or 2019 if I recall correctly, and then he got (rightfully so) bashed pretty bad after the time he did in 2021 and then I never saw him do it again. I think he learned his lesson. 

But my point is simply that I hope having Parry on staff provides a seasoned voice of reason for McD.

McD is a great coach in many aspects but game handling is not his strong suit and I think having Parry on staff could be a great benefit for us.

I am not against the idea of hiring him. I am sceptical about the idea you use him in game. I just don't think he will get to a decision quickly enough. That isn't the strength of the refs.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not against the idea of hiring him. I am sceptical about the idea you use him in game. I just don't think he will get to a decision quickly enough. That isn't the strength of the refs.

This meme is just always so useful. Maybe, but probably not, hiring one of their own changes the zebra attitude. Perhaps Mr. Parry lets us in on the secret handshake, where to drop the payoff, etc., and we end up having to challenge less, because not so often in the NFL lower right quadrant.

image.png.96d3489d6cfe5af3746a7dede433cef6.png

• Haha (+1) 1