Bills Director of Player Personnel Terrance Gray Declines Interview Opportunity With the Patriots

5 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The league rightfully has chosen to make their head coaching ranks look more like the player representation and so far it has paid off big time, because in 2024 minority head coaches are at the highest number in league history. That is true progress, and the Rooney Rule being in place is a good thing even if there is no "AHA!" data proving that it directly led to the hires.

All I'm suggesting is that the RR may not be the primary driver. 

Not making any moral or ethical judgements otherwise as implied.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

All I'm suggesting is that the RR may not be the primary driver. 

Not making any moral or ethical judgements otherwise as implied.  

That's fair... it is extremely hard to definitively prove that it does directly!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

The Rooney rule still sucks. All it does it give minority candidates pity interviews to meet a requirement 

well, you see, they can always decline the interview.....

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Zero of them are fake.

So, teams aren't just interviewing certain minority candidates just to fulfill a requirement? That's pretty naive thinking

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

well, you see, they can always decline the interview.....

They can but that doesn't seem to happen often. And even if they take it, they still have to wonder if there is legit interest 

It doesn't matter "why" they are interviewing them, only that they are interviewing them.

You're operating under the mistaken assumption that the rule is intended to get teams to hire minority candidates; that is not what it's for.

It was instituted to open up the Old Boy network so the same guys weren't interviewing their buddies over and over again. It's intended to give minorities the opportunity to meet and talk to people they would never have had a chance to talk to otherwise.

It's not about hiring practices, it's about exposure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He knew he wasn't getting that job, so he chose not to interview as a token. Good for him.

That's hardly "sticking it to them"...

Sensitive?  Them?

Edited by 4merper4mer

So, teams aren't just interviewing certain minority candidates just to fulfill a requirement? That's pretty naive thinking

They can but that doesn't seem to happen often. And even if they take it, they still have to wonder if there is legit interest 

If that's true then all of those who take the interview disagree with you that it's "a pity interview" that "sucks".

it's opportunity, that's all.  If this guy thinks it's a token offer, than he can treat it as such.  Seems like he did. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I think it's known that Elliot Wolf is getting this job and they are just going through the motions and doing their Rooney interviews

Plus what GM would take a job with a HC already in place unless they had a prior connection like McDermott and Beane.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If that's true then all of those who take the interview disagree with you that it's "a pity interview" that "sucks".

it's opportunity, that's all.  If this guy thinks it's a token offer, than he can treat it as such.  Seems like he did. 

He can think it's a good offer but in the back of his mind, he should always wonder if it's actually legitimate. I would not blame any minority candidate for always having questions as to whether or not any interest is true interest. The Bills this year had to interview a minority candidate for their offensive coordinator position even though, I think most people sensed it was going to Brady regardless. They still took the interview but I'm sure in the back of their mind, they truly had to see it for how it was

2 hours ago, Simon said:

It doesn't matter "why" they are interviewing them, only that they are interviewing them.

You're operating under the mistaken assumption that the rule is intended to get teams to hire minority candidates; that is not what it's for.

It was instituted to open up the Old Boy network so the same guys weren't interviewing their buddies over and over again. It's intended to give minorities the opportunity to meet and talk to people they would never have had a chance to talk to otherwise.

It's not about hiring practices, it's about exposure.

Regardless of race, I think it would be beneficial to interview for ANY position. Get your name out there, make contacts, acquire experience. There are limited opportunities. 

• Agree 1

He can think it's a good offer but in the back of his mind, he should always wonder if it's actually legitimate. I would not blame any minority candidate for always having questions as to whether or not any interest is true interest. The Bills this year had to interview a minority candidate for their offensive coordinator position even though, I think most people sensed it was going to Brady regardless. They still took the interview but I'm sure in the back of their mind, they truly had to see it for how it was

Then you've proven your original post wrong.  It doesn't suck or seem pitiful to the many who take the invite.

What is left of your point then?

18 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

It’s pretty clear the Bills believe their arch rival are the Patriots and not the Chiefs. 

Say what you want about the Chiefs but they don’t cheat their way into their Super Bowls. 

true.  They just ran into two epic Bills coaching meltdowns

I'm a big proponent/supporter of the Rooney Rule, and will almost always argue that every chance to interview is worth it alone. Especially for up and coming coaches to grow their network.

But this situation is unique. It's no secret who the next Pats GM will be (Wolfe), and at this point, no one wants to help the Pats organization. And if potential (non)candidates want to turn them down, so be it.

FTP

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/7/2024 at 3:00 PM, KDIGGZ said:

TG is actually going to get one of these GM jobs soon. He's very well regarded around the league. He doesn't need to go to any fake Rooney rule interviews.

Did someone say comp picks?

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2024 at 8:00 PM, KDIGGZ said:

TG is actually going to get one of these GM jobs soon. He's very well regarded around the league. He doesn't need to go to any fake Rooney rule interviews.

We would get two 3rd round comp picks for that.

GOOD LUCK out there Mr. Gray!

• Like (+1) 1