2025 Compensatory picks

On 5/7/2024 at 12:28 AM, Malazan said:

No team is limiting snaps of a productive player because of a 5th round comp pick.

that was my first thought as well.  However… if your playoff seed is already locked (or you’re eliminated and have some regular season games left), then… maybe?

On 5/7/2024 at 12:28 AM, Malazan said:

No team is limiting snaps of a productive player because of a 5th round comp pick.

that was my first thought as well.  However… if your playoff seed is already locked (or you’re eliminated and have some regular season games left), then… maybe?

• Disagree 1

57 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

No.

On 5/6/2024 at 4:40 PM, Victory Formation said:

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but that means that our 2025 picks are:

1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7

Whew, doggy. Beane is killing it.

Wouldn't they have 3 4s? From the draft being the other 1

• Agree 1

On 5/6/2024 at 3:08 PM, sunshynman said:

Boy, we stand to be so loaded with picks next year.  Can even do a Douglas-type deal at the deadline to get some of what we need this if Beane wants with one of our fourth's (I know, NFL may screw us again).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I think it depends upon the player, their value to the team and if any financial incentives are affected. I’d feel badly if a guy needed a few more snaps to get a $500k bonus, but I’m just fine if it’s for the sake of the team in the long run. I like draft picks. A lot! That’s how you get the cheap young guys so you can afford to pay what you must for your stars at premium positions and still field a competitive team. Maybe I’m naive, but I think it could be a very real consideration under the right circumstances.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I think it depends upon the player, their value to the team and if any financial incentives are affected. I’d feel badly if a guy needed a few more snaps to get a $500k bonus, but I’m just fine if it’s for the sake of the team in the long run. I like draft picks. A lot! That’s how you get the cheap young guys so you can afford to pay what you must for your stars at premium positions and still field a competitive team. Maybe I’m naive, but I think it could be a very real consideration under the right circumstances.  

I think some teams play the game that way, but it hurts them in the long run. Agents aren't stupid. If you were an agent, how would you handle a team that benches players to keep them from achieving bonuses?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think some teams play the game that way, but it hurts them in the long run. Agents aren't stupid. If you were an agent, how would you handle a team that benches players to keep them from achieving bonuses?

Agreed. If it’s all about an extra draft pick, the team is locked into the playoff spot and the player isn’t getting abused, sign me up. We’d just have a chat. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

When it comes to any type of performance based bonus clauses, the teams may want to see them reached even more than the players because it serves to validate the signing among other things. And you’re right, teams would be setting a terrible precedent by purposely not allowing players to meet them. 

Edited by K-9
  • Agree 1

According to Buscaglia in The Athletic:

"The Bills have all of their original picks through the first four rounds. On top of that, they have Minnesota’s 2025 2nd (Stefon Diggs deal), what is likely Chicago’s 2025 4th (draft-day trade for the Bears to select Austin Booker), and a projected fourth-round compensatory pick for Gabe Davis signing elsewhere. That would give the Bills seven picks within the first four rounds and the first 135 overall of the draft."

On 5/7/2024 at 10:37 AM, K-9 said:

Perhaps we should never sign free agents so that we can avoid giving them too much playing time and jeopardizing that all important compensatory draft pick. 

My buddy used to buy Smokin' Joe's cigarettes on the reservation for half the cost of smokes at a regular convenience store.

He was fond of saying that they were "so cheap, he couldn't afford not to buy them."

On 5/6/2024 at 10:13 PM, Logic said:

One interesting thing I read today is that, because of the way compensatory picks are calculated, the Bills may want to limit the snaps of Mike Edwards and Mack Hollins this year, because if they exceed a certain amount, it jeopardizes the two picks the Bills are scheduled to receive.

Similarly, to ensure the best chance at receiving the picks they think they'll be getting, the Bills have to hope that Tim Settle plays a lot of snaps for Houston -- but Houston is surely aware of this, too, and may limit Settle's snaps for their own compensatory pick reasons.

Just a fascinating aspect of the minutiae that goes into calculating compensatory picks. I have no idea whether or not the Bills care enough to actually limit Edwards and Hollin's snaps. To be honest, I bet they do.

I never knew about the snap rate as accordance to comp picks until the NFL stiffed us from the 3rd Rd pk we should've gotten from losing Edmunds. 

In my opinion it's a horrible way to factor the comp picks. A player can get injuries and still be great the rest of the yr or the following year. The NFL is not acting on good faith by adding these guidelines to the comp formula. Teams do base there entire off-seasons on these supposed comp picks and it's stupid in my opinion to have anything else in the formula other then what said player received in his contract. It's not the Bills fault that Edmunds didn't reach the threshold for snaps because he was hurt we still lost a big piece of our defense by not resigning him. 

33 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I never knew about the snap rate as accordance to comp picks until the NFL stiffed us from the 3rd Rd pk we should've gotten from losing Edmunds. 

In my opinion it's a horrible way to factor the comp picks. A player can get injuries and still be great the rest of the yr or the following year. The NFL is not acting on good faith by adding these guidelines to the comp formula. Teams do base there entire off-seasons on these supposed comp picks and it's stupid in my opinion to have anything else in the formula other then what said player received in his contract. It's not the Bills fault that Edmunds didn't reach the threshold for snaps because he was hurt we still lost a big piece of our defense by not resigning him. 

I agree it adds a wrinkle that there are many arguments against. But saying the NFL is not acting in good faith seems a bit of a stretch. The NFL doesn't just do it however they feel. The formula, and all its guidelines - however convoluted they may be, are clearly spelled out in the CBA. That means no matter how screwed up it seems, the NFLPA is in agreement that's how it should be. 

Nick Korte at OTC figured out why we and the 49ers lost out on a 3rd round comp pick:

Kind of a confusing article but basically the NFL considered restructured contracts to be new contracts for the purposes of calculating comp picks. Nick points out that this doesn't really make any sense but that's what happened.

He also used this additional info to update the projected comp pick formula for next year and there are no changes. So the current projection is still that we will get a 4th and a 5th round comp pick next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He also used this additional info to update the projected comp pick formula for next year and there are no changes. So the current projection is still that we will get a 4th and a 5th round comp pick next year.

Still plenty of time for the NFL to change their formula once again and screw us even more next year.