Oh I really like that 

same!!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I'd rather have D.J Clark but unsure of everything lol

post June 1st 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I'd rather have D.J Clark but unsure of everything lol

post June 1st , they'll add a significant FA 

It's a crowded room considering the Bills have generally played a 4-2-5 alignment on defense.  Starters are Milano and Bernard.  I'm not sure what the depth chart is going to look like behind them.  Perhaps Baylon Spector will back up Bernard and Williams backs up Milano.  I'm guessing they'll carry 5 linebackers, so to keep more than one of the other guys, they would have to cut Williams or Spector or both.  Spector is not quite as athletic as some of the others.  Dorian Williams is real athletic but early in the season was passed over for reps on defense when Milano went down.  It may be he just needed more time to get comfortable with his responsibilities in McDermott's defense, or maybe he's a bit slow on the mental uptake.  My guess is it was the former.  After all, Bernard had a whole season to sit on the bench.  So, what happens?  If the Bills end up with only one of the new guys on the 53 man roster, which guy is it? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think signing guys like Morrow and Jones and spending a late 5th on a LB speaks to their concern of Milano's availability.

If there were concern there, they'd have done something more than these moves. Morrow and Jones are considered fringe players and Ulofoshio is a development player. You have to keep in mind that we lost Tyrel Dodson, Tyler Matakevitch, and AJ Klein this offseason. I don't see any way both Morrow and Jones make it to the 53. 

Jones at this stage in his career is a Camp Battle body. He was traded to Cleveland along with a 7th Round Pick in exchange for a 6th in 2022. He signed with Carolina in 2023, didn't make the 53, and was re-signed to the Practice Squad.

I tend to agree.  The wild card is how well McDermott thinks Dorian Williams will come along this season - could he play for Milano if need be?  If that's the belief, then yeah, OK, they could still be concerned about Milano and yet only sign some depth.

I think Morrow and Jones could make it to the 53.  Milano, Williams, Bernard, Morrow, Ulofoshio, Jones.  We normally carry 6.

I do think Jones isn't a lock and is going to be battling it out with Spector.

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think signing guys like Morrow and Jones and spending a late 5th on a LB speaks to their concern of Milano's availability.

If there were concern there, they'd have done something more than these moves. Morrow and Jones are considered fringe players and Ulofoshio is a development player. You have to keep in mind that we lost Tyrel Dodson, Tyler Matakevitch, and AJ Klein this offseason. I don't see any way both Morrow and Jones make it to the 53. 

Jones at this stage in his career is a Camp Battle body. He was traded to Cleveland along with a 7th Round Pick in exchange for a 6th in 2022. He signed with Carolina in 2023, didn't make the 53, and was re-signed to the Practice Squad.

I tend to agree.  The wild card is how well McDermott thinks Dorian Williams will come along this season - could he play for Milano if need be?  If that's the belief, then yeah, OK, they could still be concerned about Milano and yet only sign some depth.

I think Morrow and Jones could make it to the 53.  Milano, Williams, Bernard, Morrow, Ulofoshio, Jones.  We normally carry 6.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Oh I completely agree with what you're saying with about 95% of that. It's well stated and I believe it's as close to accurate as can be. I do  discount the statements made by Milano as players will often say "Oh, yeah, best shape of my life, injuries all heals and at 100%" this time of year without it being the case. Is it an example of an athlete providing accurate assessment of where he is ..or is this a Michael Thomas situation where we hear how close he is for 2 years. Time will tell.

Am I reading way to much into a move like this? Possibly. Heck, I'd even go as far as probably. But it's that lull part of the off-season where moves get over analyzed and often are much ado about nothing. 

Still, with the injury suffered all we have really been told is "on track" but the coordinates for said track aren't ever pinpointed from what I have seen. This was from what it looked, a catastrophic knee injury. Is week 1 the goal? A candidate to open the season on the PUP? We won't know until we know, most likely. But taking a chance on vets like Morrow and Jones with the experience they have over some young guys with upside in an off-season where the theme has been "younger" may (keyword may) suggest they are preparing for a later Milano return than week 1. 

I hear you on discounting statements made by players, but Milano seems cut from a different mold - Mr Minimalist in what he says to the press and how often.  He's not a Von Miller offering to do a presser while he's only just been designated to return, and taking up a roster spot before he's really able to play effectively.  Milano is Mr 'Time Will Tell'.  

Of course, being able to do his normal off- season training and being able to play at an all-pro level, are two different things, I grant that.  So I may read too much into it.  

As far as timeline/coordinates, have you seen this Banged Up Bills article?

https://bangedupbills.com/2023/10/09/examining-buffalo-bills-matt-milanos-right-knee-injury/

The median "lost time" is 232 days; the upper range 330 days.  That would put him somewhere between end of May (232 days) and beginning of September (330 days).  He mentions a couple of other cases:

Of the other two surgical cases that I found for a tibial plateau fracture, JJ Watt suffered the same injury in 2017 in Week 5, though his mechanism was more similar to that of an ACL tear. He underwent surgery and missed the remainder of the 4-12 season for the Houston Texans. When Watt did return, he posted an All-Pro season with 16 sacks, seven forced fumbles, and 61 total tackles. 

The other instance is former WR Nate Burleson who suffered a tibial plateau fracture in Week 7 during the 2012 season while playing for the Detroit Lions. He was able to return to play the following season, his last in the league. He played in nine games securing 39 receptions for 461 yards and 1 TD. 

the author of the SB Nation Arrowhead Pride article, Aaron Borgmann, is a former AT/PT for the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadephia Eagles. He indicated in the article that there is no performance drop-off upon return or long-term concerns. I have followed his work for a long time and I highly value his professional opinion. 

Of course, there are different degrees and locations of the fracture, and that impacts the length of healing, but it's very positive that Milano was seen on the sidelines moving around and even jumping up and down a bit.  As I understand it, the big concern with any fracture is nonunion, where the bones simply don't heal for whatever reason (and sometimes unpredictably).   That doesn't seem to be at issue here.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Just signed with the Chargers 🙃

TF are the Chargers up to?  They trade away Keenan Allen for a 4th round pick after a 1200+ yd 100+ catch season, and spend $5M to sign this guy?

They did double-dip on WR in the draft though, so that should make their fans all happy!  

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Brandon Beane wakes up in a cold sweat every night thinking about AJ Klein covering Travis Kelce. He can't fall back asleep until he's added another LB to the roster. That's the only explanation.

Pretty much, This :P

Brandon Beane wakes up in a cold sweat every night thinking about AJ Klein covering Travis Kelce. He can't fall back asleep until he's added another LB to the roster. That's the only explanation.

6 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Might not be too late.  Chicago bought K Allen and just drafted Rome.  Moore has a reasonable $16M salary and we have some draft capital.

You're dreaming.  No way the Bears trade a #1WR in DJ Moore.  The Bears are all in mode with a QB on a rookie contract as they should be.  

Better coverage backup for Bernard? When he went down last year, who was it Dorian Williams and Dodson who ended up starting? Didn’t do a horrible job, but noticeable difference when Bernard was out.

Had a lot of middle of the field plays from the start of last season that Milano would have been better at stopping.  If we can get Jones back to form in this defense, or somewhere near it, good move.

The Bills are zigging while everyone else zags. Most teams would love to sign a guy that started his career on the practice squad and developed into a Pro Bowler in year 7. Not the Bills, they sign a guy that was a Pro Bowler 7 years ago that developed into a PS player on the worst team in the league last year. 4D chess

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I can't understand the thinking that Spector will be cut. He is close to a lock to me. He has played 60% of ST snaps his two years here and they have already lost a number of their core ST guys. Add to that he was actually serviceable when he had to play some linebacker late in the year. They have signed Morrow and drafted Ulofoshio who both in theory offer some STs ability but Spector has actually been there and done it for them and on a unit where they are already facing considerable turnover I just don't see them voluntarily giving that up. 

My personal view is that the 4 incumbents are on the team: Bernard, Milano, Spector, Williams. Then I think the rest are fighting over two spots. I'd be surprised if Jones makes it personally. I was his biggest fan. I had a first round grade on him coming out back in 2016 when the consensus was lower than that. But after being awesome his first five years in the league he has been pretty bad the past three years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Basically, McDermott and Beane were forced to acknowledge that 31 yr old Matekevich was 100% there for ST at this point, that they couldn't count on Dodson or Spector to back up Bernard at MLB, and maybe Dorian Williams will develop but he's not there yet.  So Dodson and Matekevich are gone. 

On this they'd have loved to bring Dodson back IMO. Had Milano never got hurt, had Dodson never had the chance to play and showcase his ability I am all but certain he'd be here again on a 1 year vet minimum type deal. But once he got in and played as he did (and I think the Bills always had a ton of faith in him hence he made the team as an UDFA and they stuck with him every year thereafter) he was always going to get paid low end starter money and the Bills couldn't afford that for a guy who was essentially going to be a backup for them. I think he and Dane Jackson both fitted into that category. Guys the Bills would have loved to have back on backup salaries ($1.5-2m) but couldn't afford to have back on low end starter salaries (they both got $4.25m) given their cap situation. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

He’s also faster than Keon Coleman 

Well, there you go. 

Obviously this was a sneaky move to bring in a new WR. He's probably working on route-running as we speak. Everyone knows all we need is speed there.