Camp Battles

Posted (edited)

I was looking at some of the projections of the 53 man roster from the Rochester paper and the Athletic and some interesting camp battles become clear from their articles.

I think the roster looks something like this

Offense: 24 players (8 of 11 starters return)

QB - (2) Allen & Trubisky

RB - (4) Cook, Davis, Johnson, & Gilliam  PS: Gore Jr

TE - (3) Kincaid, Knox, & Morris

WR - (6) Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, Hollins, Claypool, Hamler  PS: Shorter & Cephus Cut: Shavers and Isabella 

C - (2) McGovern & Van Pran  Cut: Clapp (dead cap 287,500)

OG - (3) Edwards, Torrence, Anderson

OT - (4) Dawkins, Brown, Van Denmark, Collins  PS: Grable, Clayton Cut: Doyle (dead cap 78391)

Defense: 26 players (8 of 11 starters return)

DT - (5) Oliver, Jones, Johnson, Carter & Williams PS: Ankou & Cline

DE/Edge (5) Rousseau, Epenesa, Miller, Solomon & Jonathan  PS/Cut: Toohill 

LB - (6) Milano, Bernard, Williams, Ulofoshio, Morrow, & Spector EDIT: Cut Jones?

CB - (6) T Johnson, Douglas, Benford, Elam, Lewis & Ingram  PS: Hardy

S - (4) Rapp, Edwards, Bishops, Hamlin

Sp -(4) Bass (PK), Punter, Ferguson (LS), Hamler/Hardy or someone else (KR)

The Battles

WR - Who will claim the last 2 spots - If I had to bet right now and if no other players are in the mix, I think management goes with Shorter and Hamler.  Shorter has a dead cap hit of 243K.  Hamler likely wins the PK job and therefore we keep 6 WRs instead of last year's 5

C/G - McGovern is penciled in a the starter at C after being the starter a G last year.  If rookie Van Pran makes an impact in camp, I can see McGovern again going back to guard, sending Edwards to the bench.  The other question is Clapp.   His dead cap is 287.5K.  

OT - I don;t think they'll be much of a battle for the OT backup jobs, but it will be interesting to see if Collins (dead cap 1.5 million) has anything left and whether any of the kids are worth while.

Defense

DT - The top 4 are written in stone, but the 5th slot is up for grabs between Williams, Ankou and Cline.  I'm going to Williams

DE - Rookie Solomon is making the team as the 4th edge player.  If we carry a 5th we should see a good battle between Jonathan and Toohill

LB - The top 3 are written in stone, but I can see 6 LBs on the 53 man roster as they invest in Morrow (750k dead cap), drafted Ulofoshio and Spector looked solid in limited reps.  I think they keep all 6 as someone will certainly steal Spector if cut and sent to the PS.  Apparently we are adding a 7th LB to the mix in for pro-bowler Deion Jones.

CB - Top 4 set in stone.  Lewis' versatility also makes him a lock.  The question is can Hardy and/or Ingram show enough to earn a job.

S - Edwards and Rapp are the presumed starters, but I think Bishop has a good shot at unseating one of them.  I also wonder if Beane brings in more help here and where does that leave Hamlin?

Punter battle - Martin, Haack & a UDFA. I'm rooting for the kid.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

There are still a number of positions that could be fortified with some Post June 1st free agent signings.

I think Quinton Morris, KJ Hamler, Toohill, and Ingram are just placeholders for now.

They love Morris … I have little doubt be makes the 53

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

I think Hardy has a real shot to make this team. First off as depth at CB. I can see them wanting someone young back there to keep the pipeline full. Second, he was one of the top rated returners in the nation last year in college. Chances are good he gets a shot and that's what may earn him not only a roster spot...but a jersey bon Sundays.

Have to remember as well, we lost some core ST guys this year such as Matakevich and Neal. They may or may not be replaced by guys with the same core position so it may play into carrying less at some spots and more at others than we have in years past. The new kickoff/coverage rules may also alter the numbers a tad as well 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I was looking at some of the projections of the 53 man roster from the Rochester paper and the Athletic and some interesting camp battles become clear from their articles.

WR - (6) Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, Hollins, Shorter, Hamler  PS: Shavers, Cephus, Isabella

OT - (4) Dawkins, Brown, Van Denmark, Collins  PS: Grable, Clayton Cut: Doyle (dead cap 78391)

DT - (5) Oliver, Jones, Johnson, Carter & Jonathan PS: Ankou & Cline

DE/Edge (5) Rousseau, Epenesa, Miller, Solomon & Toohill  PS/Cut: Williams

LB - (6) Milano, Bernard, Williams, Ulofoshio, Morrow, & Spector

S - (4) Bass (PK), Punter, Ferguson (LS)

The Battles

WR - Who will claim the last 2 spots - If I had to bet right now and if no other players are in the mix, I think management goes with Shorter and Hamler.  Shorter has a dead cap hit of 243K.  Hamler likely wins the PK job and therefore we keep 6 WRs instead of last year's 5

C/G - McGovern is penciled in a the starter at C after being the starter a G last year.  If rookie Van Pran makes an impact in camp, I can see McGovern again going back to guard, sending Edwards to the bench.  The other question is Clapp.   His dead cap is 287.5K.  

OT - I don;t think they'll be much of a battle for the OT backup jobs, but it will be interesting to see if Collins (dead cap 1.5 million) has anything left and whether any of the kids are worth while.

Defense

DT - The top 4 are written in stone, but the 5th slot is up for grabs between Jonathan, Ankou and Cline.  I'm going to Jonathan

DE - Rookie Solomon is making the team as the 4th edge player.  If we carry a 5th we should see a good battle between Williams and Toohill

LB - The top 3 are written in stone, but I can see 6 LBs on the 53 man roster as they invest in Morrow (750k dead cap), drafted Ulofoshio and Spector looked solid in limited reps.  I think they keep all 6 as someone will certainly steal Spector if cut and sent to the PS.

CB - Top 4 set in stone.  Lewis' versatility also makes him a lock.  The question is can Hardy and/or Ingram show enough to earn a job.

S - Edwards and Rapp are the presumed starters, but I think Bishop has a good shot at unseating one of them.  I also wonder if Beane brings in more help here and where does that leave Hamlin?

Very confused by listing Kingsley Jonathan as a DT and DeShawn Williams as a DE. Jonathan's a DE and Williams is a DT.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

WR - (6) Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, Hollins, Shorter, Hamler  PS: Shavers, Cephus, Isabella

The Battles

Defense

DT - The top 4 are written in stone, but the 5th slot is up for grabs between Jonathan, Ankou and Cline.  I'm going to Jonathan

DE - Rookie Solomon is making the team as the 4th edge player.  If we carry a 5th we should see a good battle between Williams and Toohill

LB - The top 3 are written in stone, but I can see 6 LBs on the 53 man roster as they invest in Morrow (750k dead cap), drafted Ulofoshio and Spector looked solid in limited reps.  I think they keep all 6 as someone will certainly steal Spector if cut and sent to the PS.

I always like your analytical approach to things. As I say every year, there are very, very few roster spots that are ‘up for grabs’ from the start of camp. Most of it is nothing more than chatter for bloggers and message boards. So just like every season we’ll see some guy make a tackle on the opening day kickoff and we’ll all turn to each other and say….”Who the heck is that?” 😂

1 hour ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

There are still a number of positions that could be fortified with some Post June 1st free agent signings.

I think Quinton Morris, KJ Hamler, Toohill, and Ingram are just placeholders for now.

Doubtful that Q. Morris goes anywhere.

• Agree 2

The way I see it QB, RB and TE are set. I think Coleman, Shakir, Samuel and Hollins are probably in at receiver. One or two spots left to shoot for. Back of the OL room is a battle. If they want to keep Grable I think he might have to go on the 53. 

On defense back end of the DL is a competition. I reckon the top 4 DTs - Ed, Daquan, Johnson and Carter are set. I think at edge Groot, AJE, Von are set and Solomon is probably in to protect their investment (unless he looks way out of his depth then watch for the old Brandon Beane redhsirt IR special). That leaves 1 or 2 spots there for the rest. Linebackers I agree they will keep 6 and they are pretty set. I think Hardy is a lock at corner though. He was drafted to be a backup corner and their primary returner. He is in. Lewis will make it but as the 4th safety behind Bishop, Rapp and Edwards. Hamlin will be cut. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

Quinton Morris is a pretty excellent 3rd TE, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The way I see it QB, RB and TE are set. I think Coleman, Shakir, Samuel and Hollins are probably in at receiver. One or two spots left to shoot for. Back of the OL room is a battle. If they want to keep Grable I think he might have to go on the 53. 

On defense back end of the DL is a competition. I reckon the top 4 DTs - Ed, Daquan, Johnson and Carter are set. I think at edge Groot, AJE, Von are set and Solomon is probably in to protect their investment (unless he looks way out of his depth then watch for the old Brandon Beane redhsirt IR special). That leaves 1 or 2 spots there for the rest. Linebackers I agree they will keep 6 and they are pretty set. I think Hardy is a lock at corner though. He was drafted to be a backup corner and their primary returner. He is in. Lewis will make it but as the 4th safety behind Bishop, Rapp and Edwards. Hamlin will be cut. 

Agree with Hardy and Grable. I think with the movement to younger/cheaper that then have gone this year we will see a higher percentage of draftees make the roster than in years past. And that may come at the expense of guys like Ingram. I wouldn't completely rule out Baby Gore leapfrogging Ty Johnson/Darrington Evans as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The Battles

Defense

Clapp - That dead cap doesn't matter really.  Rookie 5th round pick will likely have a sub 1M cap hit.  Clapp counted 1.15M against the cap, the 287.5K is basically the difference between the rookie contract and clapp's.  

Collins has played guard and tackle in the past, the contract is pretty affordable and he's started a lot of games.  

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Safeties fixed.

PS I used the positions listed on Spotrac.  Williams is listed as a DE and Jonathan as a DT.  It doesn’t really change much as Jonathan is likely to make to the team and Williams is in a huge camp battle. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Safeties fixed.

PS I used the positions listed on Spotrac.  Williams is listed as a DE and Jonathan as a DT.  It doesn’t really change much as Jonathan is likely to make to the team and Williams is in a huge camp battle. 

I'm sure by camp they will bring some real competition for Hamlin at Safety.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Good stuff as always from you.

I think we'll keep 6 WR's this year. We kept 5 last season, but that was an anomaly based on wanting to keep 12 DL's (which was an anomaly in and of itself as the number is usually 10). Every other year under this regime they've kept 6 and multiple years they've kept 7. I think we sign another veteran WR post 6/1 and then it ends up being a camp battle for the last spot with Justin Shorter having the edge, all things equal.

Agreed on the DL. I think we'll keep 5 DE's and 5 DT's. Everyone you listed is safe IMO. Leaves one DT spot that I think goes to DeShawn Williams and one DE spot which will be a battle between Casey Toohill and Kingsley Jonathan. I believe Toohill takes it as his experience and production is better than Jonathan's and I think they view Jonathan as a Brandin Bryant type that lives on the PS until there's an injury and if they lose him, they don't really sweat it. Like a Bryant or Ankou, he seems to always find his way back. Linebackers - they could keep 6. But I lean towards them keeping 5, with either Nicholas Morrow or Baylon Spector being the odd man out. The number is usually 5, 6 seems a little high, given we only employ 2 LB's on the field.

When it comes to OL, the number is usually 9. I don't see us keeping 5 OT's. I think it really comes down to either Grable impresses and takes to it quicker than expected - or he's cut and Collins is here. I don't think they're particularly concerned that someone's going to sign the 204th pick in the Draft to their 53 otherwise. I don't see us keeping 9-10 of our 10 Draft Picks. I think it will be 8, which is already a really high number for us (Grable and Clayton being out unless they are undeniable). Hardy, although taken after Grable, has an edge because there's a wide open spot for backup Nickel and KR/PR. I see Dawkins, Brown, Van Demark, and then either Collins or Grable (with Gouraige and Doyle Wild Cards) at OT. And for interior, McGovern, Torrence, Edwards, Van Pran, and then almost definitely Anderson - but he'll battle with the likes of Clapp, Clayton, and Bills.