New Bill - former Lion Quintez Cephus signed (Update: Now released)

MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We do agree that they have been a top 3 team, we don’t agree who deserves the lion’s share of that credit.

I just think BB has some fatal flaws that will ultimately cost us in the end. 

I'd be interested to know what those fatal flaws are.  I'm guessing you are referring to not surrounding our qb with elite weapons.  We lost to the Chiefs last year who had a worse receiving core than we did.  So clearly the Super Bowl champion aren't much better at surrounding their qb with elite weapons.  They used 2nd round picks on Sky Moore and Mecole Harman, Selected CEH in the first round!!, traded away the best receiver in football in his prime, traded a 3rd pick for Kadarius Toney, and used a 4th round pick on Jehu Chessen.  Those are Veach's moves since Mahomes.  Yet, he has 3 super bowls.  Is he better at this than Beane is?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He loved Kelvin Benjamin too. While everyone gets faster, we get big, sluggish, late round fliers, street FAs, and UDFAs to support our HOF QB. 

C'mon Man.

2020: traded 1st round pick for proven successful NFL WR

2021: no offensive skill players

2022: 2nd round RB who has had 2254 combined scrimmage yds in 2 seasons

2023: 1st round TE who pulled in 73 receptions his rookie season

2024: 2nd round WR said to excel at contested catches, an ability we haven't had

That's not consistent with the picture you paint of "big sluggish late round fliers, street FA and UDFA"

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

I'd be interested to know what those fatal flaws are.  I'm guessing you are referring to not surrounding our qb with elite weapons.  We lost to the Chiefs last year who had a worse receiving core than we did.  So clearly the Super Bowl champion aren't much better at surrounding their qb with elite weapons.  They used 2nd round picks on Sky Moore and Mecole Harman, Selected CEH in the first round!!, traded away the best receiver in football in his prime, traded a 3rd pick for Kadarius Toney, and used a 4th round pick on Jehu Chessen.  Those are Veach's moves since Mahomes.  Yet, he has 3 super bowls.  Is he better at this than Beane is?

Mahomes is a better QB than Allen and Reid is a better coach than McD.

Veach has struggled to replace the offensive weapons around Mahomes after the Hill trade but he has tried. He recognizes the problem and is trying to fix it. As we all know, no GM is perfect. Of course, he also built a great OL and a great defense as a consolation prize. 

Beane hasn’t recognized that problem. I would infinitely prefer him trying and failing to not recognizing it. That’s the true fatal flaw, imo.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Mahomes is a better QB than Allen and Reid is a better coach than McD.

Veach has struggled to replace the offensive weapons around Mahomes after the Hill trade but he has tried. He recognizes the problem and is trying to fix it. As we all know, no GM is perfect. Of course, he also built a great OL and a great defense as a consolation prize. 

Beane hasn’t recognized that problem. I would infinitely prefer him trying and failing to not recognizing it. That’s the true fatal flaw, imo.

Again. Respectfully disagree.  A first and third round TE. Running backs....a 2nd, two 3rds, and a 4th, WR-Traded your first for Diggs, and used a 1rst this year (I know it was actually a 2nd) on Keon, and a 4th on Gabe.

I agree that he has passed on some great receivers.  The Ford pick with DK and Brown on the board is haunting.  But every gm has those scars.  You make the point that at least the Chiefs have tried.  But it's been one bad move after another.  In the Skyy Moore draft, Beane gets Shakir in the 5th.  That's way better use of resources.  

But yes, he's been afraid to pull the trigger on wide receivers.  But he also knows that championships are won in the trenches.  Teams that build with weapons, like Miami and the Raiders never win.  I don't think it's a fatal flaw.  And if Coleman hits, this entire conversation changes.  Just so you know, if we would have picked Devontez Walker in the 3rd.  I'd still be dancing.  We didn't.  Time will tell if Dewayne Carter ends up being better at his job than Franklin or Tez.  Also, if Beane had a chance at a Rome Odunze or a Jamar Chase, he'd NEVER pass.  He just hasn't had the chance.  

But I'm concerned about this receiver room.  I like the Coleman pick.  He could have played it safe with Ladd (who I loved), but he swung for the fences.  I appreciate that.  I thought we needed another.  They went in a different direction (I'm rooting for you Dewayne Carter!!).  But yes, we are both concerned about this receiver room.  Who I'm not concerned with is Brandon Beane.

8 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Again. Respectfully disagree.  A first and third round TE. Running backs....a 2nd, two 3rds, and a 4th, WR-Traded your first for Diggs, and used a 1rst this year (I know it was actually a 2nd) on Keon, and a 4th on Gabe.

I agree that he has passed on some great receivers.  The Ford pick with DK and Brown on the board is haunting.  But every gm has those scars.  You make the point that at least the Chiefs have tried.  But it's been one bad move after another.  In the Skyy Moore draft, Beane gets Shakir in the 5th.  That's way better use of resources.  

But yes, he's been afraid to pull the trigger on wide receivers.  But he also knows that championships are won in the trenches.  Teams that build with weapons, like Miami and the Raiders never win.  I don't think it's a fatal flaw.  And if Coleman hits, this entire conversation changes.  Just so you know, if we would have picked Devontez Walker in the 3rd.  I'd still be dancing.  We didn't.  Time will tell if Dewayne Carter ends up being better at his job than Franklin or Tez.  Also, if Beane had a chance at a Rome Odunze or a Jamar Chase, he'd NEVER pass.  He just hasn't had the chance.  

But I'm concerned about this receiver room.  I like the Coleman pick.  He could have played it safe with Ladd (who I loved), but he swung for the fences.  I appreciate that.  I thought we needed another.  They went in a different direction (I'm rooting for you Dewayne Carter!!).  But yes, we are both concerned about this receiver room.  Who I'm not concerned with is Brandon Beane.

I don’t think it’s a 1:1 when talking about TE’s or RB’s vs WR’s. Running backs are a proven bad investment with day 2 picks. That’s a terrible use of resources. Even TE’s are bad investments in the first.

Brandon Beane has spent way more draft capital on TE’s and RB’s than WR’s in the last 4 seasons. That’s Stone Age strategy. The economy of the WR in the NFL has been exploding. RB’s are struggling to get signed to second contracts. 

That’s exactly the kind of thinking I’m talking about that’s a total fatal flaw.  It’s like prioritizing OG’s over OT’s in the draft.

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think it’s a 1:1 when talking about TE’s or RB’s vs WR’s. Running backs are a proven bad investment with day 2 picks. That’s a terrible use of resources. Even TE’s are bad investments in the first.

Brandon Beane has spent way more draft capital on TE’s and RB’s than WR’s in the last 4 seasons. That’s Stone Age strategy. The economy of the WR in the NFL has been exploding. RB’s are struggling to get signed to second contracts. 

That’s exactly the kind of thinking I’m talking about that’s a total fatal flaw.  It’s like prioritizing OG’s over OT’s in the draft.

All good points.  Although I love both of the last RB picks.  I think James Cook fundamentally signaled a complete change of direction for this offense.  Undynamic Singletary was replaced with very dynamic Cook.  They did it again the next year upgrading Knox with Kincaid.  They had Diggs over the last 4 years so a #1 was not a priority.  I'm wondering....how did you want them to address wr in this year's draft?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Going to the trash heap to give the best QB in franchise history someone to throw the ball to because you wanted to draft choir boys on defense instead... Sounds like McBeane.

All about Mcdermott,  worse draft and offseason in years

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

All good points.  Although I love both of the last RB picks.  I think James Cook fundamentally signaled a complete change of direction for this offense.  Undynamic Singletary was replaced with very dynamic Cook.  They did it again the next year upgrading Knox with Kincaid.  They had Diggs over the last 4 years so a #1 was not a priority.  I'm wondering....how did you want them to address wr in this year's draft?

I think a trade up was probably unrealistic. Coleman wasn’t my favorite either but whatever. I would’ve drafted another in the mid rounds. 

• Like (+1) 2

I remind all that the Patriots won a ton of superbowls, without wide receivers half as good as these. We also have the secret sauce of the two amazing tight ends that we do.  Add the 4th leading RB I. The leave and new additions.  I think we are gonna be more than fine. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

I remind all that the Patriots won a ton of superbowls, without wide receivers half as good as these. We also have the secret sauce of the two amazing tight ends that we do.  Add the 4th leading RB I. The leave and new additions.  I think we are gonna be more than fine. 

Did we draft the NE dynasty-era coaching staff?

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

We do agree that they have been a top 3 team, we don’t agree who deserves the lion’s share of that credit.

I just think BB has some fatal flaws that will ultimately cost us in the end. 

Do we agree that the team they’ve lost to for 3 of the last 4 years is going to go down as a dynasty with one of the best quintets in NFL history in Mahomes, Kelce, Jones, Reid and Spags?  We were an executed play/‘s away in 2 of those season enders.  It’s his job to find a way….but the same can be said for the players.  Injuries, execution and play calls all play a huge factor in why his roster didn’t beat a dynasty  

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think a trade up was probably unrealistic. Coleman wasn’t my favorite either but whatever. I would’ve drafted another in the mid rounds. 

They had plenty of opportunities to add Mitchell, Franklin or Walker to compliment Coleman. No one to blame but themselves if guys like Hollins, Cephus, Hamler & Shorter flame out.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, bearstobills said:

I think you are largely right, and I don't think any of Beane's picks in this draft are such that one can argue they lack a plausible logic. I personally even like the flier on the British giant in round seven. I just do believe he has a quirk about WR from his Carolina days, and I do think it's a paleolithic tendency. 

I would have taken McConkey. I would have traded up from 60 for Mitchell, and he could have gone to 50 to get him. I'd have been willing to use some 2025 capital if necessary to do that. You don't get Bishop that way, and I like Bishop. I would then have taken Hicks at 95, because he is a safety I think can play in our system. I don't know why he slid. That has cascading effects, because they did need to add DT.

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

C'mon Man.

2020: traded 1st round pick for proven successful NFL WR

2021: no offensive skill players

2022: 2nd round RB who has had 2254 combined scrimmage yds in 2 seasons

2023: 1st round TE who pulled in 73 receptions his rookie season

2024: 2nd round WR said to excel at contested catches, an ability we haven't had

That's not consistent with the picture you paint of "big sluggish late round fliers, street FA and UDFA"

I disagree. This is prior to this draft so it moved some but:

Since 2018 (Josh draft) the Bills have spent 2739.8 draft value pts on 6 DL; they’ve allocated 144.1 draft value points to 7 WR. If you include Diggs that’s 924.1 points. That’s an average DL draft spot of pick 44. It’s an average WR spot of 177 (96 w Diggs). The Bills continue to allocate their best resources to the defense.

That’s not good enough. When you have a HOF QB, you should prioritize his weapons, not hope that he elevates role players. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I disagree. This is prior to this draft so it moved some but:

Since 2018 (Josh draft) the Bills have spent 2739.8 draft value pts on 6 DL; they’ve allocated 144.1 draft value points to 7 WR. If you include Diggs that’s 924.1 points. That’s an average DL draft spot of pick 44. It’s an average WR spot of 177 (96 w Diggs). The Bills continue to allocate their best resources to the defense.

That’s not good enough. When you have a HOF QB, you should prioritize his weapons, not hope that he elevates role players. 

To this day in terms of draft value points spent on wide receiver in the first 3 rounds of the NFL Draft Sean McDermott (one year running the draft) has spent more than Brandon Beane (seven years running the draft). We have a Carolina drafter doing Carolina drafting. 

7 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

All about Mcdermott,  worse draft and offseason in years

It's all about Beane.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1