Beane: "This team is in transition"

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This quote from Beane defines the entire draft strategy:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

I've been saying this since we cut ties with all of our captains in the offseason and no one wanted to hear it because of who was saying it.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Transition is way different than rebuilding 

It's closer to reloading... 

"reloading" is "rebuilding" with a PR spin on it. It doesn't have to mean that you tear everything down to the floorboards, but they most certainly jettisoned most of the the core of the team this year. The rest of the old core will be dumped last year. The only players who might survive will be Dawkins, Allen, Oliver and possibly Milano.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

I don't exactly know if by "rebuild year" you mean that as a negative thing, though based on your tone it seems so.

Of course they're rebuilding. We knew that on Black Wednesday. But rebuilding with an Elite QB and a bunch of other already established young talent on the team (Cook, Kincaid, Dawkins, Cybo, Groot, Milano, TB, Benford, Shakir, etc.) and some well established vets like Daquan, Von and Douglas doesn't mean this team isn't contending.

You guys are all nuts. 

Buffalo is winning at least as many games in 2024 as 2023.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Wasn’t this Belichick’s draft strategy…the one thing he sucked at? If he was a good GM they probably have 3-4 more rings.  IMO the major difference is that Belicheat was twice the HC and DC that McDermott is so he could overcome poor drafting. 

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think this is a fair take.  But given the Bills picks, where in particular do you think they could have taken higher talent at more premium positions?

See the Eagles draft for reference of what strategy I recommend the Bills employ…BPA

6 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

But Why Miller? There is no way McD didn’t have a large part to play in that choice. 
   The old We took a shot excuse. They should have surrounded Josh with more talent but the pissed the money away on an aging vet edge.

Of course McD had a part to play but Brandon Beane's constant focus on the DL isn't because of Sean McDermott. It is because of Dave Gettleman and Marty Hurney. 

Seriously, people should go and look at the guys Beane learned his trade under. It isn't McDermott's influence that he drafts loads of DL and LBs and RBs and almost no WRs. That is who Carolina were when he was in that front office moving through the ranks. 

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

"reloading" is "rebuilding" with a PR spin on it. It doesn't have to mean that you tear everything down to the floorboards, but they most certainly jettisoned most of the the core of the team this year. The rest of the old core will be dumped last year. The only players who might survive will be Dawkins, Allen, Oliver and possibly Milano.

I disagree on that. To me the difference is a reload is about moving on older expensive players. A rebuild you are giving away prime age players for assets - what the Commanders did last trade deadline was a tear down for a rebuild. Sell any asset on the roster build picks. Miami when they first ditched Gase and hired Flo did the same. They are rebuilds. That is the distinction IMO. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

"Rebuild" is way too strong a word here.

"Transition" makes a ton more sense. 

You don't rebuild when you have a Josh Allen on the roster, you just don't. An extremely successful rebuild can be competitive in the third year, but 90% take till the fourth or fifth.

The Bills will be competitive this year, though they will likely not be quite as good as last year unless things go really really well.

Again, transition fits the situation much much better. Which is why Beane used it.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not even close. Reloading is a factual difference in approach, meaning you can still be competitive this year and certainly next. 

Rebuilding means you have no chance the next two years, and an extremely slight chance in year 3, and you have a new GM. If you are a GM trying to sell your owner a rebuild you'd better have a couple of Super Bowl championships under your belt, because you're telling the owner that the roster you built has no realistic chance for a championship anytime soon and so you need to throw it all out and start over. Without championships you're telling the owner that you just weren't a good enough GM.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 hours ago, MJS said:

I think the team will be just as good, if not better, than last year. Last year we had all the names, but they were all injured (Milano, White, Jones, etc.) or just lacking productivity for various reasons (Diggs, Davis, Miller, Poyer, Hyde, etc.).

So, on paper we are worse, but given that all those veterans were not contributing last year, we're actually better this year. I think much better.

So no, I'm not tempering my expectations or bracing for a down year. The Bills are going to contend for the AFC East and make the playoffs. They have as good of a shot this year of making the superbowl as last year, given the injuries and nuances that the team faced last year, including a mid-year coordinator change.

Understand that it's fun to many getting mad, temper tantrums, yelling fire everybody, and attacking everything; these needs are bigger than the game itself! Great post!

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Seriously, people should go and look at the guys Beane learned his trade under. It isn't McDermott's influence that he drafts loads of DL and LBs and RBs and almost no WRs. That is who Carolina were when he was in that front office moving through the ranks. 

Then he's got to go. But my beef goes deeper. I feel like they should have done more in the cutting department. Still carrying some really bad contracts.

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

Many in this thread whining about Beanes transition comment are demonstrating a psychological occurrence of Catastrophizing Thinking. It's common with people with anxiety disorders, or people with PTSD--that describes many fans relationship with this team.

Catastrophizing means that a person fixates on the worst possible outcome and treats it as likely, even when it is not. Therapy and medications can help people reduce or stop catastrophizing.

Beane's transition comment may simply mean "a lot of veterans left and a lot of new blood is coming in" it means nothing more, nothing less. It was not secret code for "we are are going to have a dismal season."

There are many things more likely to happen than the worst case scenario of a dismal season(s).

Edited by boater

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I moved to CLT 1/1/98

I lived through both Hurney regimes and Gettlemen.

Maybe, you could make the case Beane has reverted to Gettlemen/ Hog Mollies/ Big body thinking but I think that’s a reach.

DL, LB and RB is Defensive minded, ball control outlook. Maybe Beane AND McD share a common outlook. Maybe they are entirely too wedded at the hip.

IMO McD is the one driving the agenda and Beane is placating him. 
    An idea/question: If Beane were to bring in a different HC with a different outlook, Does Beane keep drafting these “ high character “ guys or do we go in a different direction . I’m guessing the latter.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Disagree 1

All beane had to do was take another WR mid round receiver this year and we wouldnt be having this conversation.   For how long guys like Troy Franklin were sitting out there, Its like they deliberately made this a reset year when they didnt have to.   

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Makes the draft strategy a little more clear. Character guys and volume over skill and quality. 

13 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Very good take.  Like it or not I bet the next WR is bigger like Coleman.  We are moving to a version of a bigger, more powerful team that can be explosive if need be, but mainly use up the clock and play good D.

Heck yeah.

Ground and pound mentality and fits Buffalo.

LOVE IT!!!!

6 minutes ago, Lost said:

All beane had to do was take another WR mid round receiver this year and we wouldnt be having this conversation.   For how long guys like Troy Franklin were sitting out there, Its like they deliberately made this a reset year when they didnt have to.   

na man we are ground and pound team.

We must trust our awesome leader and savior HC Sean McDermott.

If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t have won a game the past 6 years.

Be thankful.

• Haha (+1) 1

Its a reload year, not a rebuild year. 

What did Diggs, Gabe, Hardy, and Sherfield do for us after week 12?  All are easy to upgrade.  Samuel, Coleman, Shakir, Hollins is a big upgrade IMO.  Add in Dalton and Knox.  Add in another pass catching back(Ray Davis= YAC, 20+ yard plays). We fortified the OL with youth.  Hell the whole offense is much younger. 

Settle and Jordan Phillips are easy to upgrade as well IMO.  Carter, Johnson, and Williams is an upgrade IMO.  DaQuan is back!  Ed is a force. Von will be better.  Roos wants to get paid, and will.  AJ is back.  Javon is my favorite pick.  DLine- much improved IMO  Milano will be back!  Matt and Terrell is best duo NFL IMO.  Add in Eddie. Damian Williams!  LB is stout.  Bills are high on JaMarcus Ingram.  Taron, Raul, and Benford is very nice.  Safety got deeper with Edwards and Cole.  Poyer and Hyde are sad to replace, but Poyer was playing hurt last year, and both regressed a little.  So IMO 2024 secondary is improved.

We got younger, hungrier, nastier, and more skilled.

And we have JOSH ***** ALLEN!

Fair warning NFL, the 2024 Bills are going to stomp opponents.  LFG!

GO BILLS!

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

An idea/question: If Beane were to bring in a different HC with a different outlook, Does Beane keep drafting these “ high character “ guys or do we go in a different direction . I’m guessing the latter.

I am 100 and I mean 100% sure it would be the former. I have done the pick by pick anaylsis of the Panthers drafts during Beane's decade in senior front office positions. 3 receivers in the first two days in 10 years. Over a dozen DL in the same period. It is who he is. It is how he learned. It is what he believes in.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Low Positive said:

The problem is that if Josh appears to take a step back due to no Diggs, then we become the freezing small-market Bills and FAs won’t want to come play with a declining Josh Allen. The nRams can rebuild without taking a reputation hit. The Bills cannot. 

I don’t even agree with myself anymore here. He meant a transition in leadership. I just had a hot take. But Beane sometimes speaks before he thinks.

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am 100 and I mean 100% sure it would be the former. I have done the pick by pick anaylsis of the Panthers drafts during Beane's decade in senior front office positions. 3 receivers in the first two days in 10 years. Over a dozen DL in the same period. It is who he is. It is how he learned. It is what he believes in.

If that’s what he believes in, then he’s gone against his own beliefs in the last two drafts. 

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It’s why firing McD and keeping Beane won’t change roster building strategy, imo.

• Agree 1

This season reminds me of the year that KC traded Tyreke. Many were saying they were going to take a step back, as they reset the roster.  

I think the key will be injuries.  If the defense goes into the playoffs healthy, they can be a lot better than the last time they played. Having Milano, a healthy Daquan, Benford, Bernard, and hopefully improvement from Von, in addition to what the rookies bring.  This defense can be much better. 

Also, a full off-season for Brady to build up the offense to his design.  I'm much more optimistic than a lot of comments I'm seeing.