Rd 5, Pick 141: C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

10 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott needs to end this flexibility crap starting with VPG. Let the kid fight for the canter position ONLY because that is what he is, a center.

I agree, but one could argue that they did last year with Torrence. Pure guard. 

• Agree 4

14 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I agree, but one could argue that they did last year with Torrence. Pure guard. 

Yup.  

Torrance was a RD1 Guard talent that we got in RD2 because he lacks any flex. 

VPG was a Day 2 Center talent according to quite a few evaluators, but due to his arm length, that’s really all he can play.   Therefore he was available to us in RD5. 

They’re going to cross train him at Guard because if he doesn’t beat out McGovern to start the year, your backup Center has to be able to play Guard in an emergency.   Nothing wrong with that .. but he’s probably not going to be great at it. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yup.  

Torrance was a RD1 Guard talent that we got in RD2 because he lacks any flex. 

VPG was a Day 2 Center talent according to quite a few evaluators, but due to his arm length, that’s really all he can play.   Therefore he was available to us in RD5. 

They’re going to cross train him at Guard because if he doesn’t beat out McGovern to start the year, your backup Center has to be able to play Guard in an emergency.   Nothing wrong with that .. but he’s probably not going to be great at it. 

I don't get the Bills "needing" Van Pran to play guard for flexibility. Given that McGovern is the starting center and he can play guard why is having a pure center as a backup center a bad thing? If a guard gets hurt you just flex McGovern out to guard and have Van Pran at center. If McGovern gets hurt you put Van Pran in as you need a center anyway. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't get the Bills "needing" Van Pran to play guard for flexibility. Given that McGovern is the starting center and he can play guard why is having a pure center as a backup center a bad thing? If a guard gets hurt you just flex McGovern out to guard and have Van Pran at center. If McGovern gets hurt you put Van Pran in as you need a center anyway. 

Teams likely have 8 OL active on Gameday, 9 total on active roster.

I do think what you say is correct, but I have to imagine Kromer is going to want VPG to have some baseline familiarity with Guard if everything goes haywire ala the early season Miami game a few years ago.  

Most teams don’t have backups active that can only really play one position at a strong level … we’d now have two with LT Van Demark and C Van Pran Granger. 

That likely would leave Collins as the guy for backup RT and both G spots without a shuffle. 

Not the end of the world given McGoverns flex, but also not what most teams do, having 2/3 backups being one position backups. 

They’ll likely play Van Demark at RT and VPG at OG a good bit this summer to try and develop their flex. 

Let’s just hope VPG wins the C spot because that would be incredibly ideal.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

There's probably not a single O-lineman in the NFL that doesn't cross train (at least) at one other position.

Cross training is particularly important for young O-linemen because it provides a deeper understanding of each player's assignment on every play. Understanding the assignments and footwork of the entire unit is a prerequisite in becoming a successful O-lineman and a successful offensive line.

These are professionals and they're employed because of their work ethic and aptitude for the game. I highly doubt there's an O-lineman in the NFL that only practices and studies his own position. Doing half the work of the others at your position group is no way to gain esteem among your group, or proficiency at your craft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

VPG should start camp taking almost all the 2nd team Center snaps for Trubisky.  Mitchell can help Sedrick a lot with what an NFL

Center needs to do.  Giving him some OG snaps with the 2s is fine but if he is looking decent with the 2s at Center then he should

be getting some C snaps with the 1s as soon as possible.

If he isn't excelling at C with the 2s as much as they hoped for then he would need more snaps at OG.

With 44 starts on a highly talented college team, he should be able to come along at C pretty quickly.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

McGovern (after I checked) has had about 100 snaps at Center.  That's less than 2 full NFL games.

I can't find any info on how well he did in those limited snaps.

Having him move from LG to C is a question mark to begin with IMO.  None of us even know how good will be there.

The more I look at this, the more I think they will give VPG every chance to take the starting position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

McGovern (after I checked) has had about 100 snaps at Center.  That's less than 2 full NFL games.

Having him move from LG to C is a question mark to begin with IMO.  None of us even know how good will be there.

The more I look at this, the more I think they will give VPG every chance to take the starting position.

The bolded is my belief as well... it will be an open competition.

No one is gonna be handed anything on a plate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The bolded is my belief as well... it will be an open competition.

No one is gonna be handed anything on a plate.

It will be a competition.  I would even bet that Connor will be rooting for the kid to do well so he can go back to LG.

I have to imagine Connor is a bit nervous about having to move to a position he has limited exposure to.

It could affect his next contract (which ends next year) if he underperforms.

16 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott needs to end this flexibility crap starting with VPG. Let the kid fight for the canter position ONLY because that is what he is, a center.

Um, what flexibility crap?   Morse was a center, period.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I agree, that would be three people the Bills drafted starting (Coleman, Bishop and VPG)

Does McGovern go back to L Guard , where he did a fine job I thought. Improved the whole line , especially his side.
 Did not like when Bills announced his move to center. But accepted it with moving on from Morse

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

In my Time as a fan , i do not recall Bills ever ever bringing in a pure center. Much less drafting one to challenge day one.

Gotta cheer for this kid 💪

I edited

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I disagree. They promised McGovern he will start at center and will give him every chance to start.  They are big on honoring your commitments and such.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

and significant roles for Davis and Carter 

And possible roles for Solomon and Hardy.   It really was an interesting draft.