Rd 5, Pick 141: C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

49 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Um, what flexibility crap?   Morse was a center, period.  

They have already aluded to him needing to be able to play some guard on one of the videos post draft.  

36 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

In my Time as a fan , i do not recall Bills ever ever playing a pure center. Much less drafting one to challenge day one.

Gotta cheer for this kid 💪

@Shaw66. Has a point Morse was brought in as a pure canter.  Other than Kent Hull ( God rest his great soul) I dont remember another pure center besides those two.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Teams likely have 8 OL active on Gameday, 9 total on active roster.

I do think what you say is correct, but I have to imagine Kromer is going to want VPG to have some baseline familiarity with Guard if everything goes haywire ala the early season Miami game a few years ago.  

Most teams don’t have backups active that can only really play one position at a strong level … we’d now have two with LT Van Demark and C Van Pran Granger. 

That likely would leave Collins as the guy for backup RT and both G spots without a shuffle. 

Not the end of the world given McGoverns flex, but also not what most teams do, having 2/3 backups being one position backups. 

They’ll likely play Van Demark at RT and VPG at OG a good bit this summer to try and develop their flex. 

Let’s just hope VPG wins the C spot because that would be incredibly ideal.  

If he becomes The Center ? All bets are off. You never move your center to guard. Only vice versa ha ha

But yea he has to train at guard.

Hoping for him to become Morse long term replacement honestly. wishful maybe

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

There's probably not a single O-lineman in the NFL that doesn't cross train (at least) at one other position.

Cross training is particularly important for young O-linemen because it provides a deeper understanding of each player's assignment on every play. Understanding the assignments and footwork of the entire unit is a prerequisite in becoming a successful O-lineman and a successful offensive line.

These are professionals and they're employed because of their work ethic and aptitude for the game. I highly doubt there's an O-lineman in the NFL that only practices and studies his own position. Doing half the work of the others at your position group is no way to gain esteem among your group, or proficiency at your craft.

I was going to say something equivalent.

But you more than covered it :)

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I disagree. They promised McGovern he will start at center and will give him every chance to start.  They are big on honoring your commitments and such.

I may have missed it, but I did not hear that McGovern desired to become the C.  I took it that the Bills slotted him there.

He didn't need a "chance" to be the 1st string LG.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I may have missed it, but I did not hear that McGovern desired to become the C.  I took it that the Bills slotted him there.

He didn't need a "chance" to be the 1st string LG.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't wish to debate this but I will say that the cliche amongst NFL teams which normally holds true is that "we'll start our 5 best offensive linemen."

I am expecting that to be the guiding principle.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I don't wish to debate this but I will say that the cliche amongst NFL teams which normally holds true is that "we'll start our 5 best offensive linemen."

I am expecting that to be the guiding principle.

I’m hoping it will be and that I am wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

There's probably not a single O-lineman in the NFL that doesn't cross train (at least) at one other position.

Cross training is particularly important for young O-linemen because it provides a deeper understanding of each player's assignment on every play. Understanding the assignments and footwork of the entire unit is a prerequisite in becoming a successful O-lineman and a successful offensive line.

These are professionals and they're employed because of their work ethic and aptitude for the game. I highly doubt there's an O-lineman in the NFL that only practices and studies his own position. Doing half the work of the others at your position group is no way to gain esteem among your group, or proficiency at your craft.

I have to amend the above bolded to "there are very few O-linemen in the NFL that don't cross train at another position."

I would say that it's common for players to have center-guard flexibility and guard-tackle flexibility. It's not as common for a tackle to train at both ends of the line as a swing tackle. From comments players have made over the years it seems like swing tackle is the most difficult adjustment for an O-lineman. I would imagine that for the same reason (reverse mirroring), that guard-guard flexibility would also be difficult.

On another topic, in the Buffalo News today Bills Director of Player Personnel Terrance Gray said the following about SVPG:

“(Kromer) had a chance to simulate some things you would see at the guard position that confirmed, at least for us, that he has the interior line flexibility center and guard,” Gray said. “He also stood out in the classroom with his football intelligence and an ability to process.”

How does an evaluator look at Van Pran-Granger’s video of him playing center and project him to guard?

“One is a consistency to play on his feet and his ability to bend and seeing him get out in space and hit his target.”

Based on those comments it seems SVPG will cross train minimally at one of the guard spots.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

On another topic, in the Buffalo News today Bills Director of Player Personnel Terrance Gray said the following about SVPG:

“(Kromer) had a chance to simulate some things you would see at the guard position that confirmed, at least for us, that he has the interior line flexibility center and guard,” Gray said. “He also stood out in the classroom with his football intelligence and an ability to process.”

How does an evaluator look at Van Pran-Granger’s video of him playing center and project him to guard?

“One is a consistency to play on his feet and his ability to bend and seeing him get out in space and hit his target.”

Based on those comments it seems SVPG will cross train minimally at one of the guard spots.

VPG cross-training to OG is wise.  Although, he was drafted with the "hope" he is the Bills starting C for years to come.

This season pertaining to @Sierra Foothillsreply about the "best 5" starting, I think it comes down to how well McGovern and Edwards

at C/LG perform compared to VPG and McGovern.  It could come down to McGovern not performing as well as Morse at C and Edwards

not performing as well as McGovern, and that being less than a rookie at C with McGovern at his main position.

It will be a point discussed during camp.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They have already aluded to him needing to be able to play some guard on one of the videos post draft.  

@Shaw66. Has a point Morse was brought in as a pure canter.  Other than Kent Hull ( God rest his great soul) I dont remember another pure center besides those two.

yea , I edited my post. Morse was pure center. and a very good one. Hoping the Kid earns the spot Morse left , and Connor can get back to his natural position

Of course Teams need O line to be flexible with position. Bills have been decimated  a few times at O line by end of year.

Not pretty and poor Josh

• Agree 1

On 5/10/2024 at 6:51 PM, Low Positive said:

82 Sabres?

The 1975 Braves had Tom McMillen, Jim McMillian, and the phenomenal Bob McAdoo.

As I recall, they said at the time it was the first time in NBA history a team had three Macs. 

If Von was a Van, this might have been the first NFL team to have three Vans.  

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

yea , I edited my post. Morse was pure center. and a very good one. Hoping the Kid earns the spot Morse left , and Connor can get back to his natural position

Of course Teams need O line to be flexible with position. Bills have been decimated  a few times at O line by end of year.

Not pretty and poor Josh

Morse played tackle in HS and college and also Center.. played RT and LT at missouri too

He is not a pure center based on his size and physicality... He physically can play guard with his size ... Not super long arms... But he had enough length to play college tackle... Because his technique... Vpg struggles with technique

So that would hurt VPG moving positions 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

right, because he was an established guy not a development project. Off the bench you have to back up all 3 spots on game day to dress. If signed as an entrenched starter you don’t back up other guys.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

right, because he was an established guy not a development project. Off the bench you have to back up all 3 spots on game day to dress. If signed as an entrenched starter you don’t back up other guys.

I don't see VP As a development project.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If he wins the job in the first week of camp he won’t spend any time at guard. 

I think that’s unlikely but possible 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Well he struggles with his technique and doesn't have tremendous bulk either 

So he is actually the definition of a developmental pick in the NFL... He was a starting center at Georgia... If he didn't need development for the next level he would have went a lot higher 

His lack of technique with not amazing bulk will make him have to develop both of those skills... Barring injury he wont be a day one starter

He actually has a lack of some refinement.. and his technique struggles because his lack of length at times

Edited by Buffalo716

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well he struggles with his technique and doesn't have tremendous bulk either 

So he is actually the definition of a developmental pick in the NFL... He was a starting center at Georgia... If he didn't need development for the next level he would have went a lot higher 

His lack of technique with not amazing bulk will make him have to develop both of those skills... Barring injury he wont be a day one starter

He actually has a lack of some refinement.. and his technique struggles because his lack of length at times

And he’s about to get some of the best professional oline coaching on the planet, I wouldn’t rule out the idea he could beat out an unproven center in camp, albeit a veteran unproven center.

Before a single practice, obviously he’s the underdog and should be.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, julian said:

And he’s about to get some of the best professional oline coaching on the planet, I wouldn’t rule out the idea he could beat out an unproven center in camp, albeit a veteran unproven center.

Before a single practice, obviously he’s the underdog and should be.

Mcgovern played center in college .. at the division one level 

And said he was supposed to play center in Dallas... But was forced to guard 

He sees himself as a lynchpin... He also is now one of the bigger centers in the NFL... Highly doubt he will play badly 

In fact I suspect he will play so well he will get a big contract from his next team... Which is why they're going to groom this kid

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1