Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Rounds 4-7 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

SDS

3 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Maybe later in the year but not sure he will early in the season.

Why? He's got all the traits and seems like a plug and play lock for McD's system.

Just now, H2o said:

Camp fodder isn't really that hard to find. Why trade back for it?

Because you dont have to compete to sign them. If a couple of them make the roster than thats NFL minimum salary versus paying a veteran a couple of million. Simple economics of supply and demand. I can take whoever I want at this pick but if I don't then I have 31 other people in demand for me and I have to pay more than giving up a pick.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was hoping Beane would take some calculated risks.

With a few notable exceptions -- Stefon Diggs, Von Miller -- he has always been steady Eddie. Mr "I don't want to sacrifice our ability to compete long term by going all-in for the present year". 

That's fine. My concern is that he'd rather be very good for the next 10 years than try to be elite for a two or three year stretch. I fear that "very good" will get us to the divisional round every year, but will rarely beat the Chiefs, because the Chiefs are elite.

Sometimes I wish he'd sacrifice just a little bit out that steadfast long term thinking for a bigger splash now, yes. For instance, I thought Christian McCaffrey was worth trading our first rounder for. Many disagreed. Beane clearly disagreed. Instead, we kept it and used it on Kaiir Elam. That was the more prudent, "smart", long term thinking move to make. The only problem is that Kaiir Elam looks likely to be a bust, and Christian McCaffrey continues to be an elite offensive weapon and just helped the 49ers reach the Super Bowl and nearly win it.

The counter-point, clearly, is that the big swings he HAS taken -- Diggs and Miller -- didn't result in any titles for the Bills, and it was time to get younger and cheaper and re-tool the roster and go back to practical long term planning. Again, that's fine, but you'll have to forgive me if a two-year re-tooling in the name of practicality isn't my favorite thing to be looking at in the middle of Josh Allen's prime.

Yep it's his biggest flaw: outside of Allen, name one ELITE player he's drafted.

And for the love of God, don't answer Ed Oliver 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I mean, that's fairly obvious isn't it?

Not when you say "enjoy our season of mediocrity".

Bills fans spoiled and on our way to becoming Pats fans when 11-6/12-5 and the Division is "mediocre"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Did any team trade up in the 4th using 2024 day three picks? There were three trades for 2025 3rd or 4th rounders. The NFL is telling you day three picks have no value to anybody this year. So I'm thinking it just wasn't doable.

Yea that is a fair challenge. 

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

But if they want to replace Diggs surely it would be with a veteran rather than a draft player?

I hope so. I said earlier in the thread there's no way our #2 outside WR is Hollins or Shorter. There has to be another plan, it's the only thing that makes sense.

• Agree 3

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Not when you say "enjoy our season of mediocrity".

Bills fans spoiled and on our way to becoming Pats fans when 11-6/12-5 and the Division is "mediocre"

Difference is, they had SB wins. We don't.

And chances are we won't ever.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Yep it's his biggest flaw: outside of Allen, name one ELITE player he's drafted.

And for the love of God, don't answer Ed Oliver 

Ed Oliver isn't elite. He is close but he isn't there. He is the second best player Beane has drafted though. 

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

Because you dont have to compete to sign them. If a couple of them make the roster than thats NFL minimum salary versus paying a veteran a couple of million. Simple economics of supply and demand. I can take whoever I want at this pick but if I don't then I have 31 other people in demand for me and I have to pay more than giving up a pick.

It's still bottom of the barrel guys. You can find them all over. What's one more UDFA?

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Samuel replaces Diggs.

Agreed, and I think people are missing that.

Our outside guys will be Samuel and Coleman. Shakir in the slot. Kincaid as the wild card (and really our #2 target). Knox and Cook to supplement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1