Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

18 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

As a side note, I think the Bills the overall philosophy changed after the playoff loss to Cincy a couple years ago. The Bills were bullied in that game and that did not go over well. It is looking to me like the Bills are looking to become the bully. From the beefing up in the trenches to the skill position players. They know they have a great QB but clearly they also intend to run the ball. The entire way they are building this team is to get back to some smash mouth football.

Looking at this draft I came away with the same impression.  The Bills are looking to get more physical which is important come playoff time.

Also I'm wondering if this is the Bills getting ahead of the curve.   Defenses had the upperhand last year as they got smaller and faster to combat the passing explosion.  The Bills started building a big physical offense to perhaps bully other teams.

Last thing to throw in:  this is another guy who will be incredibly easy to root for which is one of my favorite things about the Bills.  So many guys seem like fun loving good people.  His press conference immediately made me like him and I can see the fit with Josh's personality.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree. Not sure if this is realistic, but I’d love the move. 

I think they can probably manage it financially in June if they can entice SF with picks (we are loaded next year). This WR room needs a #1, despite what Beane says. It also needs a vet to lead. 

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree. Not sure if this is realistic, but I’d love the move. 

Pretend that is the plan, and look at Beane's draft from that perspective. It suddenly makes much more sense.

I sure hope this is more than fan fiction.

15 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

If the plan is to trade for Aiyuk when Tre’s cap number comes off I will consider this Beane’s second best draft. Aiyuk would make the Bills a serious contender.

49ers seem to have been sending mixed signals about whether Aiyuk or Samuel is available.   Sure seems like one must be, after going wideout in the first round the other day.  

I'd much prefer Aiyuk.  The mix of skillsets he'd create would be a great combination.  Bills already have a Samuel-type; even his name is Samuel. 

2 minutes ago, Casual fan said:

Thank you very much Shaw.

It was very kind of you to take the time to explain all that to me.

Much appreciated! 🫡

Your welcome, but don't put too much stock in it.  I'm happy to write what I think, but that doesn't mean it's correct!

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He’s pretty much played with scrap heap QBs though. I’m interested to see how he’s used and if his numbers improve. 

Absolutely I agree.  I think he will thrive in this offense. 

Josh has been able to get the best out of every receiver he's had.  Coleman is a body/ability type Josh has never had and I expect him to thrive and be at worst a more consistent version of Gabe Davis.  Best case he becomes a WR 1 and we quit doubting Beane on every pick .  There are a lot of positives to Coleman's game  Go watch his basketball highlights  Kid has really good hand/eye coordination, good feet and agility for a 6'4" 220lber, and explosive hops.   Think lot of people are pissed they didnt take Adonai Mitchell

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

Josh has been able to get the best out of every receiver he's had.  Coleman is a body/ability type Josh has never had and I expect him to thrive and be at worst a more consistent version of Gabe Davis.  Best case he becomes a WR 1 and we quit doubting Beane on every pick .  There are a lot of positives to Coleman's game  Go watch his basketball highlights  Kid has really good hand/eye coordination, good feet and agility for a 6'4" 220lber, and explosive hops.   Think lot of people are pissed they didnt take Adonai Mitchell

people are more pissed we aided KC’s speed arms race.  But, yes. I would have traded up for AD or Franklin once they were falling so much.  Would have been a much more positive outlook at the position

44 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

49ers seem to have been sending mixed signals about whether Aiyuk or Samuel is available.   Sure seems like one must be, after going wideout in the first round the other day.  

I'd much prefer Aiyuk.  The mix of skillsets he'd create would be a great combination.  Bills already have a Samuel-type; even his name is Samuel. 

Your welcome, but don't put too much stock in it.  I'm happy to write what I think, but that doesn't mean it's correct!

Gotcha. When it comes to football, nobody is always correct!

I'm happy to profit by your experience and acumen because some are more correct more often than others.

Sammy watkins was speedy.  Who cares?  I got the feeling in the second half of last season that the Bills wanted to use josh for short and medium passes and a steady rhythm of first downs; with RB also more involved.   Josh has a great arm and it's sexy to see that work but it's also risky.  

I just they do more with Dalton this year in that plan.  

And, sorry if rude here - I also wanted a fast wr pick #1 - but anyone who thought the Bills' next season was banked on josh throwing crazy deep bombs to a rookie WR with speed was delusional.   

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

people are more pissed we aided KC’s speed arms race.  But, yes. I would have traded up for AD or Franklin once they were falling so much.  Would have been a much more positive outlook at the position

You know, not to argue with you, but I don't understand.   Shakir fell and was available in the fifth.  He had 161 yards receiving in his rookie season.   I don't get why people would feel much better about the receiver room if the Bills added a guy who probably will see very little playing time.  

The Bills are going to come at teams with Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, Hollins.   There might be another addition who works his way into what is essentially a four player rotation.  I don't think a fifth round guy is breaking into that group. 

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Prior to the 2017 draft, Samuel blazed a 4.31 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine which led many to believe he'd be a home run hitter in the NFL, but that never really materialized. His career yards per reception is 10.7, not what you would expect from someone with his speed.

Thing is, the best QB he’s played with is 2017 Cam and MAYBE Sam Howell. 

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

If the plan is to trade for Aiyuk when Tre’s cap number comes off I will consider this Beane’s second best draft. Aiyuk would make the Bills a serious contender.

I would have thought this was a pipe dream a week ago, but the Niners just drafted WRs with their 1st and 4th round picks…something must be up.  I expect any deal would involve the second we got in the Diggs deal…Aiyuk is absolutely an elite talent.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

If that's what you got out of that footage, then you don't know what your watching.

For starters...the majority of his targets were screen passes to get the ball in his hands immediately. 

Secondly, in numerous targets the QB would just throw the ball up for him even when he was covered by multiple defenders or he wasn't the intended target. He was often used as a bailout by the QB because he wins matchups/jump balls often.

Thirdly, he had guys beat multiple times and he either got past them and wasn't caught, or they held/grabbed him and he drew a penalty flag. 

Watching his footage tells me a few things. One is that Coleman was the focal point of their offense and teams regarded him as such. That means he is already accustomed to the role of top dog that draws attention. Next is that Jordan Travis is not impressive as a passer. He made numerous bad throws to Coleman, and he relied on Coleman to bail him out way too much. His backup did Coleman little favors as well which explains the dip in numbers after Travis went down. Third is that teams respect Colemans ability to hurt them in all phases. He can take screen passes and turn them into big plays...he runs good slants and can also turn those into big plays, and he can get deep and beat you there as well.

If Brady uses this guy right, and runs this offense like it's supposed to be with Josh making quick decisions and hitting whoever is open, then Coleman will be a weapon.

Thanks. I had the same reaction. I went into the video trying to cure myself of highlight-itis, expecting to see what I'd been reading - that he can't get open, that he failed to make a lot of contested catches, etc. I found the opposite. Sure there were moments that looked that, but so much of what was happening seemed to be more about the QB's decision making and his accuracy. There were lots of throws where Coleman was decently open but the ball was underthrown forcing him to slow down and adjust and bring the coverage back to him. There were lots of throws into double and triple coverage. It was more like whenever the QB got in trouble he would just wing it to Coleman, often underthrowing in an attempted back shoulder, but not really getting the timing right (maybe some of that timing issue is Coleman's fault too, I don't know). It was really hard to evaluate Coleman fully based on that system and those QBs. I don't really have a prediction about how he'll turn out. But I am VERY curious to see him in an offense where he won't be getting so much defensive attention and where he's got #17 throwing to him.

It’s going to look bad if Xavier Worthy ends up as the next Tyreek Hiil and runs wild for 50 and 60 yard touchdowns and Coleman ends up being covered like a blanket. We’ll find out pretty soon. I hope for the Bills sake we didn’t miss out on a great receiver. I’m having a hard time believing the Chiefs don’t know what they’re doing. They spotted MaHomes, they jumped ahead us for McDuffie and now Worthy.

Edited by Bruce200
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Ocho Cinco thinks he’s capable of being a Top 10 WR by year 2

Keon T3 in fastest Go Route at combine

Yep and fastest 10 come drill of my wr t combine. Beane wanted him, Josh wanted him, I don’t give  fck if a lot of 2billsmdrive bitc*es about him

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills are going to come at teams with Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, Hollins. 

That's literally why people are so frustrated. That's not an impressive group of receivers.

16 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Yep and fastest 10 come drill of my wr t combine. Beane wanted him, Josh wanted him, I don’t give  fck if a lot of 2billsmdrive bitc*es about him

Coleman did not do any agility drills at the combine. Maybe you're referring to his 10 yard split, which wasn't even the fastest