Vacation thoughts: Can McD have a similar path as Belichick? (Don't laugh)

Can McD have a similar path as Belichick? (Don't laugh)  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Can McD have a similar path as Belichick? (Don't laugh)

• Hell yeah brother!
    • Oh HELLLLLLLLLL NO!

Hello fellow Bills fans, welcome to my question of the day, I hope you all are well and moving on from the recent Diggs stuff. :)

I was reading this ESPN article that came out today about Belichick and him not being hired or even considered in this last NFL coaching job carousel - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39955777/how-patriots-legend-bill-belichick-end-nfl-job

Is it at all possible for McD to have a similar career path? My gut overwhelmingly tells me no, but I do wonder.... 

Let me know your thoughts and why! 

Edited by extrahammer
belichick is questionable as offensive "guru"

Man you got me so excited when I glanced at your title thread and saw Vacation and McD. I was like “thank you Lord! Now he can’t screw up the draft making Beane take more defensive duds”

Man I hope he stay out of the draft room this year 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Hello fellow Bills fans, welcome to my question of the day, I hope you all are well and moving on from the recent Diggs stuff. :)

I was reading this ESPN article that came out today about Belichick and him not being hired or even considered in this last NFL coaching job carousel - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39955777/how-patriots-legend-bill-belichick-end-nfl-job

Belichick was a defensive coordinator who became an offensive guru. Is it at all possible for McD to have a similar career path? My gut overwhelmingly tells me no, but I do wonder.... 

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

"hello fellow Bills fans" 

Who do you work for???

• Thank you (+1) 1

Can you define this career path? You are saying that Belichick became an offensive guru (which he didn't. His offensive coordinators always ran the offenses), so is that your question? Or do you mean will McDermott win as many superbowls? Or do you mean leave the team in 20 years and not be able to get a job?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

BB’s defense were often MONEY when it counted. McD’s usually aren’t even pocket change.

I’ll worry about his Offensive prowess after he demonstrates some of the Defensive variety in the playoffs. Which , I’m guessing, is never.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

You been drinkin' on this vacation? 

si senor! okay I'll take out the offensive guru part. i still think belichick could call a better game than any OC that worked for him and most in the NFL. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Haha (+1) 2

Belichick is a control freak......

easy for an owner to reluctantly put up with his arrogance when he is winning as evidenced by N.E. making it to the AFC Championship game 13 times from 2001-2018.

as soon as the winning stops....out the door......then kraft happily sabotaging his future

McClappity isn't on that level and likely never will be

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, papazoid said:

easy for an owner to reluctantly put up with his arrogance when he is winning as evidenced by N.E. making it to the AFC Championship game 13 times from 2011-2018.

that was an insane run, i remember it like it was yesterday. but you know who beat his a** in the regular season in 2011?! A nickel back named Drayton Florence. 

2 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

that was an insane run, i remember it like it was yesterday. but you know who beat his a** in the regular season in 2011?! A nickel back named Drayton Florence. 

** 2001 - 2018

show me an elite level head coach who did it without an elite level QB 

don't bother looking

the hoodie should have swallowed his pride and rode brady til his arm fell off. the bigger mistake was thinking you could do it without replacing him with an elite level QB.....thats where his arrogance cost em

Belichick's career path was an outstanding DC who went on to become a great HC.  I would love McDermott to follow that path.

Belichick's failure to secure a new job after his NE stint ended, has more to do with his having total control in NE for 24 years and how he's perceived as relating to his players than to his being a primarily defensive HC.  Most owners don't want a GM/HC although a few teams still use this model.  They want a GM and HC to work together rather than competing for supremacy. 

I think that Belichick's perceived image is of a master manipulator and win-at-all-costs guy who doesn't tolerate mistakes, calls out anybody and everybody, etc.  I don't know if that's a true image or not, but I think when fans think of Belichick, that's a lot of what they think.    I think McDermott projects a much different image, one of a HC who cares for his players as people, is a patient teacher, is more encouraging coach than a disciplarian, and a HC who works well with others.  Again, I don't know that that's an accurate image, either, but several media analysts have speculated that many owners are looking for HCAs who work well with today's players -- and that would be kinder, gentler guys than Belichick and more like McDermott.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Mcd couldn't lick Belichecks jock strap

That’s okay, it’s probably not high on his priority list. 

Belichick showed who he was without Brady, and he’s the one who wanted all the control. They might have a better roster if Belichick had let Nick Caserio build a team like he has in Houston, but Belichick thinks he’s smarter than everyone else.   

2 hours ago, extrahammer said:

si senor! okay I'll take out the offensive guru part. i still think belichick could call a better game than any OC that worked for him and most in the NFL. 

Well, that is on Belichick then. He’s the one who picked the OC’s, and he even put a DC in the role of OC. Brady was the magic on offense.

I’ll give Belichick credit for having been a defensive genius, a guy who stole a SB from us because Kelly wouldn’t just keep handing the ball to Thurman. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, papazoid said:

Belichick is a control freak......

easy for an owner to reluctantly put up with his arrogance when he is winning as evidenced by N.E. making it to the AFC Championship game 13 times from 2001-2018.

as soon as the winning stops....out the door......then kraft happily sabotaging his future

McClappity isn't on that level and likely never will be

Nah. Bellichick definitely had no business coaching those last few years, but got a pass due to his past titles.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Belichick showed who he was without Brady, and he’s the one who wanted all the control. They might have a better roster if Belichick had let Nick Caserio build a team like he has in Houston, but Belichick thinks he’s smarter than everyone else.   

Well, that is on Belichick then. He’s the one who picked the OC’s, and he even put a DC in the role of OC. Brady was the magic on offense.

I’ll give Belichick credit for having been a defensive genius, a guy who stole a SB from us because Kelly wouldn’t just keep handing the ball to Thurman. 

Mcd has not even come close to winning a afccg with the best qb to ever play for Buffalo.  He needs to go

• Eyeroll 2

By similar path, do you mean coaching for a couple of years longer than optimal, then finding no further HC interest in the league? Or do you mean winning many super bowls with a top notch QB on your team.  At this point one these outcomes seems more likely than the other outcome.  

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Is it at all possible for McD to have a similar career path? My gut overwhelmingly tells me no, but I do wonder.... 

Yes, in the sense that at some point, Pegula might no longer fall for McDermott's  "process" scam, realize that McDermott should not be running this team, and tell fellow owners that he is a farce and a waste.

17 hours ago, Augie said:

Same for Lombardi without Starr.  Dungy without Manning. Payton without Brees........

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, papazoid said:

show me an elite level head coach who did it without an elite level QB 

don't bother looking

the hoodie should have swallowed his pride and rode brady til his arm fell off. the bigger mistake was thinking you could do it without replacing him with an elite level QB.....thats where his arrogance cost em

Joe Gibbs with Doug Williams as his QB.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Joe Gibbs with Doug Williams as his QB.

not bad, but is that about the best one anyone can come up with ?...... Williams had only started 2 regular season games in 1987 when he went 3-0 in the playoffs. The following season he only started 10.

so does that really count ?.....lots of backups had brief success.

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

not bad, but is that about the best one anyone can come up with ?...... Williams had only started 2 regular season games in 1987 when he went 3-0 in the playoffs. The following season he only started 10.

so does that really count ?.....lots of backups had brief success.

Gibbs with Williams is the one that stands out to me. What about Harbaugh with Flacco.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Same for Lombardi without Starr.  Dungy without Manning. Payton without Brees........

Lombardi was ~60 years ago, when passing was relatively rare and Payton was also bad with Brees. (I tend to think he’s a bit overrated.) But Tony Dungy had very competitive teams without Manning, unlike Belichick who is last in the division without Brady. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Lombardi was ~60 years ago, when passing was relatively rare and Payton was also bad with Brees. (I tend to think he’s a bit overrated.) But Tony Dungy had very competitive teams without Manning, unlike Belichick who is last in the division without Brady. 

Dungy won 2 playoff games in 6 years in Tampa.  BB inherited a 3-13 teams and ultimately got to the playoff and won a game with Vinny Testaverde...

Bill Walsh was a genius because he retired before he had to coach again without a HOF QB (he was 8-24 with Steve DeBerg)

It's always a pretty weak argument to point out a HOF HC couldn't match the success he had without his HOF QB....