Odds are WR position after draft will still be more of question then the answer desired

corta765

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that if they go up into the top 10, my hope is that they can preserve 60  in this draft. Maybe the package is something like 28, 128, ‘25 1st & ‘25 Vikings 2nd. They could then use 60 to get a guy like Pearsall. Now, you’re in a good spot at WR and a GREAT spot financially at the position.

If we use #60 for a trade up or for a second WR, I am concerned about the S position. While I understand not drafting for need, we still need to fill the pipeline. 

How would you propose filling the S , and another EDGE, in this off season? 

Wouldn't a more modest trade up for a Thomas and preserving our picks this year for S, EDGE, OL make more sense?

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If we use #60 for a trade up or for a second WR, I am concerned about the S position. While I understand not drafting for need, we still need to fill the pipeline. 

Wouldn't a more modest trade up for a Thomas and preserving our picks this year for S, EDGE, OL make more sense?

I guess that I’m less concerned with S. They can get by with what they have now and draft one in the 4th. They would have Edwards, Rapp, Cam and a pick. My goal though is to sign Justin Simmons post June 1. Either way though, S isn’t a spot to use prime assets on. It’s not an expensive position. 

There is a gap between Thomas and the top 3 IMO (although I like him). WR is infinitely more important than their other needs. You address that to the best of your ability before you worry about anything else. I’m not saying, “skip Odunze because you might get a lesser safety.” I just don’t care.

Needs to me look like:

WR1

WR2

everything else

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Based on age and projected production,  I'd still try to trade for Aiyuk over Higgins. I thinkhe would be more productive (proven player) and less expensive in picks than going after the big3.  Then I'd do what I could to trade up in the 2nd for Legette. 

Can we wait until we actually do something with real people and discuss it in detail then?

I will never understand the fascination with the NFL draft months before it actually happens.

This is the time to be launching into the Stanley Cup playoffs (soon).

Or here's an idea: go read a book.

On 4/12/2024 at 4:08 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I think he's good, but lacks the drive to greatness.  it's a key distinctive.

You actually watch the games and think JA has no drive? Ok sure 😂 

On 4/12/2024 at 6:49 AM, corta765 said:

Agreed. The only player on offense they have truly moved for in round 1 was Josh. Other then that its been defense or draft while in position. 

They moved up last year for Kincaid. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that I’m less concerned with S. They can get by with what they have now and draft a it in the 4th. They would have Edwards, Rapp, Cam and a pick. My goal though is to sign Justin Simmons post June 1. Either way though, S isn’t a spot to use prime assets on. It’s not an expensive position. 

There is a gap between Thomas and the top 3 IMO (although I like him). WR is infinitely more important than their other needs. You address that to the best of your ability before you worry about anything else. I’m not saying, “skip Odunze because you might get a lesser safety.” I just don’t care.

Needs to me look like:

WR1

WR2

everything else

WR needs trump others, of that there is no doubt. But I must disagree to use up lot of resources in this and 2025 draft to move into the top 10. 

I just hope we don't use our first pick on anything but a WR. 

18 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Cook is a good pass-catching back but he had 445 receiving yards in 2023.

I will give you 2 to 1 odds up to $100 on your end (I'll pay $200) that if we draft a rookie and that rookie plays at least 14 games (meaning, not injured more than 3 games) that the rookie passes Cook.

Our drafted WR will likely get 600 to 800 yards. If you think I'm high, let's have a bet. I'll do $10, whatever you like up to $100 on your end.

Nah, I'm not a betting man and I don't care too much either way. I think it'll be close. The main takeaway from my post was to say that I didn't think a rookie is going to come in and be our #1, not the way we play rookies. Could a Rookie end up with more yards than Cook? Sure. Will they end up with more targets? That depends on the rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

WR needs trump others, of that there is no doubt. But I must disagree to use up lot of resources in this and 2025 draft to move into the top 10. 

I just hope we don't use our first pick on anything but a WR. 

I just think that getting one of those top 3 is worth the investment. I believe MHJ is a top 10 NFL WR right now. If I can get that on a rookie deal, sign me up!! I’ll allocate the rest of my cap savings to pass rush and whatever else we need. The flexibility of a top end number 1 on a rookie deal is too much for me to pass on.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think the answer is that you can’t expect to fill all of those needs in this draft.  Just get good players at important positions.

Just did my own first round mock. 

Brian Thomas was there at 28.  After the top 3 WRs go ….. based on needs I can see a situation where bc of how deep WR is - teams will wait till RD 2.  More than we think.   

Mitchell to the Chiefs at 32.  Making it 5 WRs in RD 1.  

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think the answer is that you can’t expect to fill all of those needs in this draft.  Just get good players at important positions.

I get that. Draft premium positions high and get the fillers post draft and post June 1

No matter who they draft, it'll be up to Joe Brady & Josh to elevate their game this season.

Diggs was a huge leader on & off the field, so Josh will have to step up. The upside is he'll have a clean slate & nobody barking in his ear about targets. All the receivers, TEs & RBs will be looking to him for orders.

And Brady will have to do better than Dorsey about scheming guys open & not getting figured out so early in the season. Some of his success could be attributed to his newness, though I don't think it was the biggest factor. He won't have that same benefit next year, so he'll need to make sure that no matter who we draft, they're incorporated into the offense quickly.

Really hoping we find our new WR1 in the draft, but if not, gotta get creative (see Andy Reid).

On 4/10/2024 at 4:41 PM, Goin Breakdown said:

Yeah they already needed to fill Gabe's "spot". Now Diggs' spot. Idk how many WRs they will draft but those are two holes. Even with those two still on the team they needed a true #1 so I think it will

still be a need after the draft. 

They have filled Gabes spot imo with Samuel, he was the #2 WR in Carlolina when Brady was OC. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

They have filled Gabes spot imo with Samuel, he was the #2 WR in Carlolina when Brady was OC. 

I can see that. I'm thinking that they see Samuel as the player they've been trying to fill in since McKenzie got let go. Swiss army kinda WR. Either way I'm sure CS will be #1a/1b with Shakir. There's no way a rookie is coming in as the solid #1. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I can see that. I'm thinking that they see Samuel as the player they've been trying to fill in since McKenzie got let go. Swiss army kinda WR. Either way I'm sure CS will be #1a/1b with Shakir. There's no way a rookie is coming in as the solid #1. 

There might not be much choice in the matter, they'll have about 9M in cap space post June 1st, with a bit over 5M to sign the rookies. Doubtful that a Michael Thomas or an OBJ type of player is signing for less than 4M per season imo but who knows, it should be interesting to see what the plan is.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

There might not be much choice in the matter, they'll have about 9M in cap space post June 1st, with a bit over 5M to sign the rookies. Doubtful that a Michael Thomas or an OBJ type of player is signing for less than 4M per season imo but who knows, it should be interesting to see what the plan is.

For sure. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I'm hoping we can double dip at WR in the draft this year. 

• Like (+1) 1