New Buscaglia mock has Bills trading up to 7 for Malik Nabers

Logic

Doug Whaley says, think twice...  Seriously,  why not do what we did to get Diggs? The low first rounder should be enough to get a proven vet #1 instead of giving up another pick in order to try to get the unknown rookie who might,  just might,  be a generational talent...

What were the warning signs with Sammy Watkins? I just remember him being seen as a great prospect, one of the best receiver prospects in a long time.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I'm not so great with this.  I feel it's too much.  Move up to the teens and take someone falling like Thomas Jr. Or AD Mitchell that Greg Cossell said can become thar X guy for you in the next year. 

We need picks to put some guys on D who can seal the deal against KC and Cincinnati,as well as WR. Grab McCaffrey in round 4 to add another weapon as well.

I personally do not want AD Mitchell. He is overrated, in my opinion. And he apparently takes plays off and has motivation issues.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

What were the warning signs with Sammy Watkins? I just remember him being seen as a great prospect, one of the best receiver prospects in a long

Not a knock on Sammy specifically.  My point is that we could have had Kelvin Benjamin! errr.... I mean,  Davante Adams... OR.... Jordan Matthew's, Jarvis Landry,  Allen Robinson.   But we threw in picks to get up to Watkins/ Mike Evans / OBJ territory and struck out.  Rather than either of those scenarios,  I'd rather trade the mid to low first rounder for a proven commodity. Who would that have been in 2014? I don’t know. Not sure if the right guy exists this year either,  but it would be my preference if possible. 

1 minute ago, wakingfane said:

Not a knock on Sammy specifically.  My point is that we could have had Kelvin Benjamin! errr.... I mean,  Davante Adams... OR.... Jordan Matthew's, Jarvis Landry,  Allen Robinson.   But we threw in picks to get up to Watkins/ Mike Evans / OBJ territory and struck out.  Rather than either of those scenarios,  I'd rather trade the mid to low first rounder for a proven commodity. Who would that have been in 2014? I don’t know. Not sure if the right guy exists this year either,  but it would be my preference if possible. 

Well it is no doubt that it didn't work out and that there were multiple guys that would have been better. But I just remember Watkins had a TON of hype. People were pretty convinced that he would be great, and not just Bills fans. Everyone.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not to pour water on this campfire, but Nabers was "live" on his social media yesterday after his visit with the Chargers  in LA talking to a realtor and viewing the ocean from a spectacular patio 

Soooo. We can just show him pictures of a Buffalo snow storm and let him decide

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, wakingfane said:

Doug Whaley says, think twice...  Seriously,  why not do what we did to get Diggs? The low first rounder should be enough to get a proven vet #1 instead of giving up another pick in order to try to get the unknown rookie who might,  just might,  be a generational talent...

It's Capology.

When we traded for Diggs, we had a QB on a rookie contract and an improved WR corps where trying "#1 by committee" had fallen short.  We needed to draft and develop, or sign, a #1 talent.  It made sense to spend some of the cap money we had due to cheap QB, LT, and #1 CB contracts on a canny vet WR who could help develop our QB.

Now, we're paying our QB, an aging DE who hasn't given us ROI to date, LT, LB, DT and we'll probably pick up Rousseau's 5th year option.  It doesn't make sense to pick up a huge WR contract.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, wakingfane said:

It’s not so much I didn’t like Sammy he was a great prospect but he was either a screen or deep shot guy. 

I have been wrong a lot but one of the reports I pride myself on was I called Hopkins the better prospect because he was a more complete WR who didn’t have the elite traits Watkins did 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Forget the Defense.  We've had top 3 D's and been shredded when it matters by KC / CIN

Get players on O who can't be stopped 

Can’t totally neglect the defense. Mahomes doesn’t win 3, let alone ONE SB if his defense hadn’t stepped up and made a big time play in a big moment. They’ve done it every single year, going back to their first SB, their comeback against the 49ers. Buffalo’s defense hasn’t stepped up when it’s needed most, but that doesn’t mean it should be neglected. 

44 minutes ago, MJS said:

I personally do not want AD Mitchell. He is overrated, in my opinion. And he apparently takes plays off and has motivation issues.

Agree. I don't want us to draft Mitchell Worthy or Coleman. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, wakingfane said:

Beane would need to fit that WR under the cap not impossible but need to be less than 10mil. Really that would only be Aiyuk in my mind since he's on his rookie contract but will be looking for 30ish Million per next year. There are a number of 1 WR types going to be FA next year too. Bill's have Diggs money next year to use on a FA then so they could easily fill then need then if the rookie this year doesn't work.  

The quandary is, trade up giving #28 and next years late 1st for cost controlled big 3 or trade for Aiyuk with #28 and pay top of the market the next 4 years. It is hard to pay top dollar to your WR and QB on offense and I suspect BB would prefer having a WR on their Rookie contract at a 1/3 the cost. 

16 minutes ago, LLCoolCy said:

Beane would need to fit that WR under the cap not impossible but need to be less than 10mil. Really that would only be Aiyuk in my mind since he's on his rookie contract but will be looking for 30ish Million per next year. There are a number of 1 WR types going to be FA next year too. Bill's have Diggs money next year to use on a FA then so they could easily fill then need then if the rookie this year doesn't work.  

The quandary is, trade up giving #28 and next years late 1st for cost controlled big 3 or trade for Aiyuk with #28 and pay top of the market the next 4 years. It is hard to pay top dollar to your WR and QB on offense and I suspect BB would prefer having a WR on their Rookie contract at a 1/3 the cost. 

Good points.  Weighing salary vs. pick values... if the proven vet options are too expensive,  I think I'd like to get a WR in the high 2nd round this year,  rather than sit tight or trade up. 

Edited by wakingfane

I love all three of those top WR's... But I would be massively pissed if they did this... They better win a SB fast if they make a move like that... I'm never, ever in favor of trades like that... Especially in this Draft where there is so much talent in that 2nd and 3rd tier at WR... Hypothetically, the Bills could trade down, get a 3rd round pick back, then move up from 60 and end up with two from a group of Mitchell, McConkey, Legette, Franklin, Pearsall, Wilson, Coleman, Worthy, Polk, and Baker depending on who comes off the board and where. I get that the Bills may not have some of those WR's rated as high as others, but that's a pretty large bunch that are graded right around the late 1st till the early 2nd... Heck... Stay at 28 then move up from 60... Give me Legette and Wilson... I think that's better than giving up the world for one of those top 3 any day... But who knows... B-)