What starting spots still need to be filled?

Process

I think you can make the case that our 22 starters are already on the roster. 

There's also no doubt we can still upgrade at several spots. 

Who are you comfortable with starting and where do you want to see us upgrade?

WR- 99% of us want the Bills to take a WR in Rd 1 to be the WR2 and eventual WR1. Do the Bills see it that way or are they good with Shakir/Samuels/Holllins?

LG- Good with Edwards starting? I think so. Rest of unit is solid. 

DE- As of two months ago Von could barely move. The hope is he can contribute next year but I doubt he ever gets back to a starting role. AJE is better suited as a depth piece. If they don't go WR in Rd 1 DE is the only other position that makes sense. We could definitely use an upgrade here. 

SS- Whether you like it or not I think it's safe to assume Rapp will be starting. 

FS- Id prefer Edwards be in a backup role, but also don't love a backup S making $2.8M+. Probably roll with him as the starter for this year and draft a guy in the middle rounds to compete and hopefully take over in 2025. Would have preferred they found a way to free up some extra dough for Blackmon. 

We are in pretty good shape heading into the draft. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Process said:

WR- 99% of us want the Bills to take a WR in Rd 1 to be the WR2 and eventual WR1. Do the Bills see it that way or are they good with Shakir/Samuels/Holllins?

DE- As of two months ago Von could barely move. The hope is he can contribute next year but I doubt he ever gets back to a starting role. AJE is better suited as a depth piece. If they don't go WR in Rd 1 DE is the only other position that makes sense. We could definitely use an upgrade here. 

SS- Whether you like it or not I think it's safe to assume Rapp will be starting. 

FS- Id prefer Edwards be in a backup role, but also don't love a backup S making $2.8M+. Probably role with him as the starter for this year and draft a guy in the middle rounds to compete and hopefully take over in 2025. Would have preferred they found a way to free up some extra dough for Blackmon. 

Chiefs Kingdom overwhelming amount of them are upset that Edwards is gone especially to us.  He's a solid player \

C  -  Not convinced we'll start McGovern.  We'll see

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

WR2 - No starter

S - Rapp and Edwards are both possible. But expect a starter to be added

C/G - Would not be shocked if something happens here. We see it every year an expected starter on the OL changes. 

CB - Possible change. Benford or Elam may not win job. 

I think McDermott would say 22 spots are open and they’ll compete to start.  Realistically, there’s about 6 places I’d like to bring in competition to compete fit starting.

#2 WR

interior oline, 

both Safeties

CB

kixker/special teams

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Process said:

FS- Id prefer Edwards be in a backup role, but also don't love a backup S making $2.8M+. Probably role with him as the starter for this year and draft a guy in the middle rounds to compete and hopefully take over in 2025. Would have preferred they found a way to free up some extra dough for Blackmon. 

While I agree the players are all solid, do have some concern with McGovern playing center.  Like safety, think the Bills will also draft an interior lineman who can play center in mid rounds to possibly take over in 2025

Right now I think Rapp and Edwards are placeholders at safety and a rookie will be brought in to compete for one of the starting spots.

DT is thin and at least one rookie will be added to the rotation.

We added Samuel and Hollins, but I still don't think we have a true #2 receiver after losing Gabe Davis.  This is a deep draft at receiver and I think we should take the best available at #28.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Not much.  If we stood pat right now, we'd be okay heading into the season.

Starters I would expect to see from the draft:  WR2, Safety, & DT (someone on here said that DT3 is basically a starter in this scheme, which I agree with).

• Like (+1) 4

Safety

Punter

RB2

X WR

The two safeties they have are second tier guys. They probably start but hopefully they draft a rookie that pushes one of them out of a starting job by mid season. Of course it all changes if they move Benford to safety. I don't see that happening now. 

I'd draft the best punter in the draft in the 5th round and get rid of both Martin and Haack. 

Since RB is really a rotation, I think RB2 is not on the roster yet.

DL is also a rotation and they need two more bodies one a NT type and a speed edge rusher.

I see Samuel as more of a guy that will take snaps away from Shakir in the slot and be the primary backup when Diggs is not on the field. The traditional X WR is waiting to be drafted. 

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Unless Von becomes an elite player again I fear our pass rush is going to be severely lacking 

Why? It was good last year and the only guy not coming back is Lawson who is not a pass rusher. I don't like Epenesa but he probably won't be any worse than last year. Rousseau will be in a contract year so hopefully he explodes. If DQ is healthy all year that will free up Oliver nicely. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Safety

Punter

RB2

X WR

The two safeties they have are second tier guys. They probably start but hopefully they draft a rookie that pushes one of them out of a starting job by mid season. Of course it all changes if they move Benford to safety. I don't see that happening now. 

I'd draft the best punter in the draft in the 5th round and get rid of both Martin and Haack. 

Since RB is really a rotation, I think RB2 is not on the roster yet.

DL is also a rotation and they need two more bodies one a NT type and a speed edge rusher.

I see Samuel as more of a guy that will take snaps away from Shakir in the slot and be the primary backup when Diggs is not on the field. The traditional X WR is waiting to be drafted. 

Why? It was good last year and the only guy not coming back is Lawson who is not a pass rusher. I don't like Epenesa but he probably won't be any worse than last year. Rousseau will be in a contract year so hopefully he explodes. If DQ is healthy all year that will free up Oliver nicely. 

You are forgetting Leonard Floyd. That's 10.5 sacks gone. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Process said:

I think that's a fairly good assessment.  I differ a little bit in a couple places.

WR: I think WR high in the draft (I don't insist on Rd 1 or lobby for a trade-up) is a necessity, and maybe double down later in the draft, as they did with Elam/Benford.  I agree with ? @GunnerBill (I think) that the Bills not restructuring Diggs contract, indicates that Beane sees the writing on the wall and wants to move on when feasible, but I think they also realize they need to "up" their WR game and have at least 2 "good" WR plus a good slot - as they did in '20 with Diggs, Brown, and Beasley and in '21 with Diggs, Sanders/Davis and Beasley.  Curtis Samuel should fill that Beasley role.  I was impressed by the jump Shakir took last year, but I'm not persuaded he's scaring anyone.  More, please.

DL: Depending upon who they sign in FA, I hate to say it but I view DT as a crying need.  Right now we have Ed Oliver and DaQuan Jones, and Eli Ankou backing them up.  Jones only played 7 games last season, and only 60% of the 1TDT snaps the year before.  We have the 2 starters, but even if we move away from McDermotts heavy rotation we need more depth for injuries.

You're right that DE is still a need, with our rotation being Rousseau, the Ghost of Von Miller, and Epenesa right now, with Casey Toohill and Kingsley Jonathan in the mix.  We could really use a starter opposite Rousseau (replacement for Floyd)

OL - I think you're correct that we have our starters penciled in, but I'm not happy with Spencer Brown at RT and I think they should look for a C they can develop (not necessarily a "utility knife" C/LG/RG backup) and depth at G.  Keep in mind while McGovern is happy to play C, he really hasn't done so in the NFL, and when he did, it was with a different technique than Kromer teaches.

LB - still need depth, I think.  I guess we'll see what Dorian Williams looks like, and in theory Nicholas Morrow should be an upgrade to The Ghost of AJ Klein, but I dunno about Baylon Spector.  Beck to Beane:  "Please Sir, Can we have Some More?"

Safety - Ugh!  You may be happy with the idea of Rapp and Edwards starting, but my limbic system alerts at the thought.  I think Edwards actually has some promise, but I thought Rapp was a danger to his fellow Bills last year.  Has Edwards contract been reported yet?  It's not up on Spotrac as of...right now.

CB - I think Benford and Douglas start (sounds like a law firm!) but I hope Elam finally takes a step, and I'm not as persuaded by Cam Lewis as some here are.   At a critical and high injury rate position like that, we need depth.  I think Beane and McDermott will look to the draft.

Overall, I agree that we have a decent set of starters already on the roster, but I think we need about 3 upgrades to feel confident.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Process said:

None. Safety starters signed, and we addressed WR and starting DT.  We need to draft guys to push for playing time this year and start next year.

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think that's a fairly good assessment.  I differ a little bit in a couple places.

WR: I think WR high in the draft (I don't insist on Rd 1 or lobby for a trade-up) is a necessity, and maybe double down later in the draft, as they did with Elam/Benford.  I agree with ? @GunnerBill (I think) that the Bills not restructuring Diggs contract, indicates that Beane sees the writing on the wall and wants to move on when feasible, but I think they also realize they need to "up" their WR game and have at least 2 "good" WR plus a good slot - as they did in '20 with Diggs, Brown, and Beasley and in '21 with Diggs, Sanders/Davis and Beasley.  Curtis Samuel should fill that Beasley role.  I was impressed by the jump Shakir took last year, but I'm not persuaded he's scaring anyone.  More, please.

DL: Depending upon who they sign in FA, I hate to say it but I view DT as a crying need.  Right now we have Ed Oliver and DaQuan Jones, and Eli Ankou backing them up.  Jones only played 7 games last season, and only 60% of the 1TDT snaps the year before.  We have the 2 starters, but even if we move away from McDermotts heavy rotation we need more depth for injuries.

You're right that DE is still a need, with our rotation being Rousseau, the Ghost of Von Miller, and Epenesa right now, with Casey Toohill and Kingsley Jonathan in the mix.  We could really use a starter opposite Rousseau (replacement for Floyd)

OL - I think you're correct that we have our starters penciled in, but I'm not happy with Spencer Brown at RT and I think they should look for a C they can develop (not necessarily a "utility knife" C/LG/RG backup) and depth at G.  Keep in mind while McGovern is happy to play C, he really hasn't done so in the NFL, and when he did, it was with a different technique than Kromer teaches.

LB - still need depth, I think.  I guess we'll see what Dorian Williams looks like, and in theory Nicholas Morrow should be an upgrade to The Ghost of AJ Klein, but I dunno about Baylon Spector.  Beck to Beane:  "Please Sir, Can we have Some More?"

Safety - Ugh!  You may be happy with the idea of Rapp and Edwards starting, but my limbic system alerts at the thought.  I think Edwards actually has some promise, but I thought Rapp was a danger to his fellow Bills last year.  Has Edwards contract been reported yet?  It's not up on Spotrac as of...right now.

CB - I think Benford and Douglas start (sounds like a law firm!) but I hope Elam finally takes a step, and I'm not as persuaded by Cam Lewis as some here are.   At a critical and high injury rate position like that, we need depth.  I think Beane and McDermott will look to the draft.

Overall, I agree that we have a decent set of starters already on the roster, but I think we need about 3 upgrades to feel confident.

That was the Edwards contract. 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it's possible Hyde comes back one more year and we address safety next season.

It's possible. Was he good last year? I don't recall him making many plays and also giving up a TD or two. Who knows who was actually responsible though. 

I say move on and get younger. Edwards looks like he is good enough to be adequate back there. Hope they draft one.

I would have gone WR, Edge, and then S in top 3 rounds prior to FA. Probably wpuld still do the same maybe with DT or C/G ahead of safety.