Bills sign a safety!!!! Mike Edwards a Bill

DJB

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I get cap inflation, but seems like a lot for a guy who wasn't even a starter on the Chiefs and they didn't want back.  I get that he started at the end of the season, but that was due to injury

He is going to be the starter here 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd gladly take either for that $!  I was thinking more like 7 for Blackmon or 8-9 for Simmons   

They aren't that close. Blackmon given his injury history is probably a 3.5-4m base with incentives. Simmons will probably be around 10m.

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why fans can't grasp he and Rapp are the Starters is beyond me. They didn't give Rapp a 3 year deal to have him be a back up.  If so,then why not the Beane special a 1 year deal

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Why fans can't grasp he and Rapp are the Starters is beyond me. They didn't give Rapp a 3 year deal to have him be a back up.  If so,then why not the Beane special a 1 year deal

I’d say they like him as a “high floor” player. Meaning they believe he could at least start at multiple positions if need be. Ideally he’s the 3rd safety and will see the field during certain situations

Yes, he may end up starting if we don’t add anyone else.  That’s fine. He made some huge plays late in the season

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The last couple teams he’s played on had safety injuries. He’s been a 3rd safety mostly. Chiefs have their starting safeties in Reid and Cook. The Bills offer a better opportunity to start.

I wonder if Beane promised him that start. If they sign Blackmon or Simmons, that promise would be pretty disingenuous, less so if they draft a safety in the second round. He sounds like an excellent depth player but a gamble as a starter. 

My ideal scenario (given the cap): They sign Blackmon after June 1 and draft a safety in the fifth round and a corner in the fourth or fifth. Go into the season with Douglas and Bedford backed up by Elam, a rookie, and a free agent, with Blackmon and Rapp at safety backed up by Edwards, and a rookie. Jackson backed up by Lewis. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d say they like him as a “high floor” player. Meaning they believe he could at least start at multiple positions if need be. Ideally he’s the 3rd safety and will see the field during certain situations

Yes, he may end up starting if we don’t add anyone else.  That’s fine. He made some huge plays late in the season

His value is his versatility.  He's not great at any specific role, but you can use him anywhere.  He can play deep safety, box, and even slot corner without being a liability.  IMO, he's the best overall Safety on the roster.  Still think Beane adds a definitive starter, though.

Just now, Billl said:

His value is his versatility.  He's not great at any specific role, but you can use him anywhere.  He can play deep safety, box, and even slot corner without being a liability.  IMO, he's the best overall Safety on the roster.  Still think Beane adds a definitive starter, though.

I was talking about Rapp, but I agree Edwards is the best Safety on the Bills 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Contracts don't decide who starts; and even if they did its still a long way to next season.  A lot can happen between now and then.

Edited by Turk71

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't make Damar Hamlin and Jaquan Johnson legit. 

He has had two great safeties here his entire time. 

Yeah the DB whisperer nonsense has gotten a bit outta hand. He's had some good players here, who have mostly been shredded in the playoffs.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

On an interesting side note, Micah Hyde was in town a few days before FA started.  Some other Bills have their houses on the market and/or are packing them up.  (e.g., Dorsey's hit yesterday, somebody picked up the trash can that's been laying around for weeks at Sherfield's house and is moving him.)  But nothing yet from Hyde.  

14 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Thank you.  We have two starting superbowl safeties who have played very well in big games. 

49 minutes ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

Thank you.  We have two starting superbowl safeties who have played very well in big games. 

One Superbowl starting safety. Edwards did start the Superbowl last year, but wasn't good in it. He didn't start the Superbowl when he was with Tampa, thought he played in some dime packages. Rapp did not start the Superbowl for the Rams, he was coming back from a concussion and played less than half the defensive snaps. 

My problem with them is they are both replacement level starters. I think Edwards is a bit better than Rapp but I wouldn't mind either so much if they were playing with a better player. But two players of that level together is a concern for me. It's like having Vlad Ducasse and Jordan Mills together on the right hand side of your offensive line. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Very likely, 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One Superbowl starting safety. Edwards did start the Superbowl last year, but wasn't good in it. He didn't start the Superbowl when he was with Tampa, thought he played in some dime packages. Rapp did not start the Superbowl for the Rams, he was coming back from a concussion and played less than half the defensive snaps. 

My problem with them is they are both replacement level starters. I think Edwards is a bit better than Rapp but I wouldn't mind either so much if they were playing with a better player. But two players of that level together is a concern for me. It's like having Vlad Ducasse and Jordan Mills together on the right hand side of your offensive line. 

Thank you for splitting hairs.  I forgot about Rapp's concussion.  As I've said elsewhere, Rapp did not have a good year last year but i fully expect him to pick up his game and breakout.  He's only 26, has great instincts and superb tackling. 

• Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sounds like Poyer and Hyde doesnt it

Just now, Dunkirk Donski said:

Sounds like Poyer and Hyde doesnt it

No, not at all. I liked both of those guys and Hyde in particular had excellent tape. I don't accept the "these signings are on a par with Hyde and Poyer." There is a germ of truth with it in respect of Poyer, in that he was not and never had been an established starter before he arrived in Buffalo - but even he got basically the same AAV - $3.5m on his deal in 2017 that Rapp got now after 7 years of salary inflation. Micah Hyde was an established NFL player with a ton of great tape who got over $6m AAV. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No, not at all. I liked both of those guys and Hyde in particular had excellent tape. I don't accept the "these signings are on a par with Hyde and Poyer." There is a germ of truth with it in respect of Poyer, in that he was not and never had been an established starter before he arrived in Buffalo - but even he got basically the same AAV - $3.5m on his deal in 2017 that Rapp got now after 7 years of salary inflation. Micah Hyde was an established NFL player with a ton of great tape who got over $6m AAV. 

Funny, I loved Rapp out of college and thought he had excellent tape coming in last year, similar to your take on Hyde.