Sam Martin's Salary Guaranteed

10 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Maybe I'm biased, but I absolutely despise Martin. That play in the WC game where he got hurt last year (PICKING UP HIS HAND WARMER!!!!)  before running after the player who recovered the fumble from the blocked punt was one of the worst plays I've seen since the infamous butt fumble.  He should have got a lot more criticism for that embarrassing play. He should be run out of town.

It also cost us a lot in the KC game since he wasn't 100%

Martin is clearly not an athlete. But worse than that, I'm not sure he knows how to stretch properly. A punter should be the most well-stretched player on the field.  Has he never run a sprint before?

Bean has screwed up the punting situation massively.

Years of Brian Moorman led me to believe that it's not that hard to get a solid athletic Punter. Moorman was small AF but he was also a really great athlete. Did he ever get hurt during his long tenure?

I don't know what Sam Martin is. I'd say he's a bum. Kick his ass to the curb.

I didn’t see the hand warmer thing in the stadium.  But I blame the block on whomever thought kicking that field goal was a good idea.  We had things totally under control.  The kicking game was bad to that point in the game.  I believe Bass attempted three kicks prior to then; one was missed and two were line drives.  Hand on Bible, sitting in the stadium immediately before the kick I told the person with whom I attend the games that there’s no way I would have attempted that given the prior kicks, the situation the distance (47) and the prevailing wind.  Everyone knew he was going to hit it low, and he did and it was blocked.  We all know what happened the following week too - a guy with little confidence who wasn’t right missed a kick he should make about 90% of the time.  He was just off at the end of the year. 

34 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The last 3 or 4 weeks of season he kicked decent, before that was never great

And you know this how exactly?

A couple years ago posters were blaming Bojo, now Martin?  What's the common denominator?

What's the evidence that Martin provided bad holds?

14 hours ago, buffblue said:

I hope not. It would be ridiculous if they keep Haack purely for Bass because he stinks as a punter compared to Martin. Bass o matic just needs to get it together. 

Maybe they keep both 🤣🤣

Haack as holder, Martin kicking. We all know how much McD loves ST

• Eyeroll 2

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How much do you think Haack will understand he's getting paid despite not being able to make the team?

I mean if he completely blows Martin out of the water I'm sure they will keep him 

But all NFL players know camp bodies is a real thing... Not everybody can make the roster... The bills will bring in an undrafted quarterback to throw balls to wide receivers for repetition too

And he's not going to make the team either... But if you're a good teammate and a hard worker, with a little bit of talent..  word will get out to other teams and you'll get a call

7 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Bills will seriously consider carrying 2 punters.   Not a serious team. 

They've never carried two punters.  They have eaten dead money though if a player wins the competition in training camp (Morris over OJ Howard).  It's possible Haack beats out Martin.

2 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Martin is not very good.  Bottom of the league in most punting metrics. This is another cap casualty,  we can't upgrade because it's not in the budget. 

If I hear anyone say the cap isn't real I'll throw up.

We also can't upgrade because there's nothing left. A grand total of 2 Punters left on the market according to Spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/punter/

I suspect they looked at the market and decided that Martin was the best option available to them. Outside of Cameron Johnston and Tommy Townsend - which were 3.25-4m in guarantees (do we really want to give upwards of 4m to the Punting position?), I don't know that there really was an upgrade available.

19 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Maybe I'm biased, but I absolutely despise Martin. That play in the WC game where he got hurt last year (PICKING UP HIS HAND WARMER!!!!)  before running after the player who recovered the fumble from the blocked punt was one of the worst plays I've seen since the infamous butt fumble.  He should have got a lot more criticism for that embarrassing play. He should be run out of town.

It also cost us a lot in the KC game since he wasn't 100%

Martin is clearly not an athlete. But worse than that, I'm not sure he knows how to stretch properly. A punter should be the most well-stretched player on the field.  Has he never run a sprint before?

Bean has screwed up the punting situation massively.

Years of Brian Moorman led me to believe that it's not that hard to get a solid athletic Punter. Moorman was small AF but he was also a really great athlete. Did he ever get hurt during his long tenure?

I don't know what Sam Martin is. I'd say he's a bum. Kick his ass to the curb.

You really had me going there. 😂 I thought you were serious. Knee slapped, boy you sure had me. I thought you really think Martin is a rotten non-athletic punter, (who had the audacity to pick up his towel, apparently, though I didn’t see it in the replay and try to tackle a player who could’ve scored a TD and possibly changed the momentum of the game) but then I realized this must be brilliant sarcasm. Boy you had there for a minute. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Minimal cap saving of around 1.25m on a cut is now out. Good news is it seems like anyone worrying that Matt Haack was anything but a Camp Leg probably no longer needs to worry.

Not smart move,  not because of his cap hit but because there are guys they could have picked in this draft that and up cost 1 million with much stronger legs.  The special teams were bad because he had a lot of bad line drive kicks that got returned including in the Jets loss

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Not smart move,  not because of his cap hit but because there are guys they could have picked in this draft that and up cost 1 million with much stronger legs.  The special teams were bad because he had a lot of bad line drive kicks that got returned including in the Jets loss

Part of me was kind of surprised. In Haack, I thought they had vet insurance and would look towards the Draft and the market afterwards, depending on how it fell, for a competition.

But locking in his salary and cap hit makes that unlikely now IMO. Though I suppose it's not entirely out of realm of possibility that they land Tory Taylor and just eat the 2m if they do.

Would just seem to be questionable cap management at that point to pay 2m to cut him after the Draft instead of saving 1.25 by cutting him before.

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Part of me was kind of surprised. In Haack, I thought they had vet insurance and would look towards the Draft and the market afterwards, depending on how it fell, for a competition.

But locking in his salary and cap hit makes that unlikely now IMO. Though I suppose it's not entirely out of realm of possibility that they land Tory Taylor and just eat the 2m if they do.

Would just seem to be questionable cap management at that point to pay 2m to cut him after the Draft instead of saving 1.25 by cutting him before.

With all those extra picks it would have been a great opportunity to grab a punter with a big leg.

3 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Martin is not very good.  Bottom of the league in most punting metrics. This is another cap casualty,  we can't upgrade because it's not in the budget. 

If I hear anyone say the cap isn't real I'll throw up.

Martin should have been let go and draft a punter,  plenty of big leg guys in this draft

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Up till this year Bass was solid kicking with Haack holding.  There were some problems with Bojo, but not as bad as this past year.

Again what is the evidence that Martin is the cause for Bass”s struggles this year? You are simply claiming this as true

• Eyeroll 1