Possible Targets at DT ?

With the near miss on Arik Armstead and Sebastian Joseph Day visiting,

Who else could we look at?

Didn't we have Calais Campbell in for a visit or scheduled visit prior to him signing with ATL?

Somehow at 37 Calais managed to have 6.5 sacks and played 17 games last year.

His leadership and rotational depth could be a valuable piece IMO.  I believe Greg Rousseau also trained with him previously

A'Shawn Robinson is another name that comes to mind if still available    (edit he already signed)

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Didn't we have Calais Campbell in for a visit or scheduled visit prior to him signing with ATL?

His leadership and rotational depth could be a valuable piece IMO.  I believe Greg Rousseau also trained with him previously

A'Shawn Robinson is another name that comes to mind if still available 

Robinson already signed with Carolina on 3/13

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

A'Shawn Robinson is another name that comes to mind if still available    (edit he already signed)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Slim pickings out there. SJD or Calais is about the best left. Calais can still play despite his age. Just not sure he’d want to do it here. There are a few guys on that list a little older, but it’s a pretty underwhelming set of options. 

5 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Slim pickings out there. SJD or Calais is about the best left. Calais can still play despite his age. Just not sure he’d want to do it here. There are a few guys on that list a little older, but it’s a pretty underwhelming set of options. 

Screw DT. If the Bills have any business sense, they should pay Leighton Vander Esch. One glimpse of a LB with a neck pad would drive every man in WNY between the ages of 55 and death to purchase multiple jerseys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

Bills are drafting DT early.  It’s a crucial position we need quality depth at. We need WR and S too.  Between now and draft, we need upgrades at all 3+.  I have faith in Beane

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills are drafting DT early.  It’s a crucial position we need quality depth at. We need WR and S too.  Between now and draft, we need upgrades at all 3+.  I have faith in Beane

I think between now and draft, we need upgrades to S and DT (I think the former will happen and I really don't know if we'll pull off the latter). I think we're standing pat at WR until the draft. 

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I think between now and draft, we need upgrades to S and DT (I think the former will happen and I really don't know if we'll pull off the latter). I think we're standing pat at WR until the draft. 

Agreed. We had Gabe Davis, Deonte Harty, and Trent Sherfield going out. Curtis Samuel and Mack Hollins replace Harty and Sherfield. We'll find Davis' Boundary replacement in the Draft and then we're done there.

Free Agency from here on out needs to be focused on Safety opposite Taylor Rapp and DT behind Ed Oliver and Daquan Jones. Then it's on to the Draft. What we can't cover in the Draft as a result of how the board falls will be revisited in Free Agency post Draft.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

Cant Samuel be the boundary or X WR?  Faster and better hands than Davis.  I dont get the "we have to replace Davis" statements.  Hollins is a monster blocker.  I dont see Samuel as some gadget toy like McKittrick. 

I believe more than half of Samuel's routes were on the outside.  Dude abuses CBs.  With JA throwing to him I expect a monster year. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Cant Samuel be the boundary or X WR?  Faster and better hands than Davis.  I dont get the "we have to replace Davis" statements.  Hollins is a monster blocker.  I dont see Samuel as some gadget toy like McKittrick. 

I believe more than half of Samuel's routes were on the outside.  Dude abuses CBs.  With JA throwing to him I expect a monster year. 

That's not his position. He's a get off the line and get open quick - short and intermediate routes guy. Perfectly suited for the Slot.

In 2022 and 2023 - he was lined up in the slot 74.6% of the time (according to Pro Football Focus). I don't know where this 50/50 number has been coming from.

Can he slide Outside at times? Yes. But you don't take players who have years vested in the league as successful as Samuel and then say "now be something else".

This board is always trying to move people away from the things that make them successful into different roles (CB to Safety, OLB to MLB, Nickel to Boundary, Slot to X, OG to OT, etc.). It's not that simple. You only do that in very specific situations.

The Slot is his natural position. That's where you want him taking the majority of his snaps.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Take a DT in the 1st, and then package #60 to move up and take another DT in the early 2nd. :thumbsup:

Let's just continue drafting defense forever.  In fact Let's tell Josh he better be prepared to play some defense. 

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Let's just continue drafting defense forever.  In fact Let's tell Josh he better be prepared to play some defense. 

Yeah, don't listen to that Doctor. He's a crank, and doesn't even have a stolen, err, borrowed Tardis.

Beane hasn't been interviewing all those top WRs in a great draft at the position to pass on WR twice in the first two rounds.

19 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All good, I was just lightly trolling @Warriorspikes51 by stating his plan for drafting WRs but disguised as DT. :P

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, don't listen to that Doctor. He's a crank, and doesn't even have a stolen, err, borrowed Tardis.

Beane hasn't been interviewing all those top WRs in a great draft at the position to pass on WR twice in the first two rounds.

Now where is that screwdriver?...

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's not his position. He's a get off the line and get open quick - short and intermediate routes guy. Perfectly suited for the Slot.

In 2022 and 2023 - he was lined up in the slot 74.6% of the time (according to Pro Football Focus). I don't know where this 50/50 number has been coming from.

Can he slide Outside at times? Yes. But you don't take players who have years vested in the league as successful as Samuel and then say "now be something else".

This board is always trying to move people away from the things that make them successful into different roles (CB to Safety, OLB to MLB, Nickel to Boundary, Slot to X, OG to OT, etc.). It's not that simple. You only do that in very specific situations.

The Slot is his natural position. That's where you want him taking the majority of his snaps.

You are correct on the outside routes percentage.  For some reason I remember hearing this from Marino.  But clearly I do not remember correctly.  But he did talk about him being very effective in go routes and creating separation on the outside. 

We have two starters, and we need some depth. 

This is a bit of a deep dive, but this is what I got.... 

James Lynch, former Baylor Bear who has played all across the defensive line in Minnesota. Tore his acl last summer, so coming off an injury. But he could be a cheap buy with a really interesting pedigree. He can play nose, 3 tech, or some defensive end as well.

PJ Mustipher is a huge nose tackle from Penn State. He's been a journeyman, but he is the kind of big body you can throw in there and he can have an impact and would be very cheap. 

Ross Blacklock is a former second-round pick who has busted. Maybe worth a look at the very least.  

Austin Johnson is another former second-round pick and another Penn State guy. Another mostly nose tackle, but he has been productive in multiple spots. I think he could make for a possibly interesting add. He is probably the best player on this list. 

Bryan Mone was recently released by the Seahawks. 6-3, 345 he is a huge dude and could be an interesting backup to Daquan Jones. He looked like he was having a successful career and the Hawks gave him a big extension, then he hurt his knee is 2022. He missed all of 2023. 

In some other thread I talked about Marlon Davidson and Taven Bryan as possible backup pass-rush-type dudes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He could be a decent LB hahaha.

Possibly, depending how the first round goes, I could see a few targets in round 2. Kris Jenkins, Ruke Orhorhoro, Braden Fiske all seem like good selections. I could also see some activity in rounds 4/5 with players like Jordan Jefferson and Gabe Hall. Barring a trade to the 3rd we likely will miss out on players like Mekhi Wingo and Maason Smith.

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

He could be a decent LB hahaha.

Possibly, depending how the first round goes, I could see a few targets in round 2. Kris Jenkins, Ruke Orhorhoro, Braden Fiske all seem like good selections. I could also see some activity in rounds 4/5 with players like Jordan Jefferson and Gabe Hall. Barring a trade to the 3rd we likely will miss out on players like Mekhi Wingo and Maason Smith.

Not having a 3rd round pick is brutal this year. We can't use it to trade up for a Brian Thomas and we can't use it for someone like Maason Smith.