March Madness 2024 Thread

Another Fan

17 hours ago, Augie said:

The NCAA Tournament was invented as a National Holiday weekend for vasectomies and sciatica recovery. Frozen pea sales spike every year! This is an investment opportunity, I can feel it in my bones. Mortimer!!! 

Can't be any worse than the investment advice my ex broker gave me...did I mention he's my ex broker?

Edited by Steve O

For those wanting a real sport tune over to ESPN for the ncaa wrestling finals.

These dudes get rougher and tougher ever year. Half of them looked like they just wrestled a barbwire roll.

The announcer you hear is Jordan Burroughs. Thurman Thomas's neices husband. A bills fan. And I'm almost certain he has posted here before. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

Not a great half by the Ducks but somehow only down 2

it's officially anyone's ball game. Get your Xanax drip ready I have a feeling 🙂

Go Ducks!

30 minutes ago, muppy said:

it's officially anyone's ball game. Get your Xanax drip ready I have a feeling 🙂

Go Ducks!

No

Not a fan of pharmaceuticals, homegrown is my medicine of choice...and I'm well medicated today 😉

Yes

Go Ducks!

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

No

Not a fan of pharmaceuticals, homegrown is my medicine of choice...and I'm well medicated today 😉

Yes

Go Ducks!

score is neck and neck. If this was my team I'd need Xanax lol  Nailbiter!

LOL That was a POWER DUNK.  whammma slamma jamma DECISIVE play. That was fun to watch 🙂 GO DUCKS

Edit: AGAIN 🙂

Edited by muppy

oh my.  Holy Crap. Overtime

SMH the in bounds pass to a 60% free throw shooter....really? Yeah that was a mistake

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

cheese and crackers those Creighton 3's are Killer. 

still a great game. sorry your Ducks couldn't win but what a Game.

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hard to believe they botched the end of reg inbounds. I literally couldn't believe it when they threw it to Dante. My jaw hit the floor.

The Ducks didn't have their best.... almost survived it, then botched the ending.

They're down 4 scholarship players at that point, 3 who were starters, so they didn't have much depth. 

They really played their hearts out the last few weeks just to win the Pac and get into the dance.

Proud of the effort and the performances.

What was frustrating tonight is Couisnard drove the lane 20 times with everybody swiping at him and did not take a single ft the entire game.   33 shot attempts by Couisnard, a lot of them driving the lane with people swiping at him and not a single ***** free throw for him the whole game, plus two overtimes. That has to be a record, 33 shots 0 fts

O well

It was a good game

Congrats to Creighton

Edited by Turk71

15 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

I will be stunned if a team other than UConn wins it all.  Even if it’s Purdue or Tennessee.  I know anything can happen in the tournament but UConn just seems unbeatable.

That’s what they say…..right before the unbeatable team goes down!  😂 

I’m a Big East guy (Xavier grad), so hoping they can maintain the level they are playing at. That’s what is so great about this tournament, anything really can happen! 

4 hours ago, Talley56 said:

I will be stunned if a team other than UConn wins it all.  Even if it’s Purdue or Tennessee.  I know anything can happen in the tournament but UConn just seems unbeatable.

OK, I’m not trying to jinx anything, but TODAY does not look like the day that UConn will be beat. WOW! And I watch BE hoops. 

Last May we flew into Florence, Italy on a small plane filled mostly with college girls. Popular destination for college girls for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

A couple girls are wearing UConn gear so we start talking. I tell them Xavier beat them 3 times that year, but lost in the Sweet 16. UConn won the ones that counted, like our Bills will be doing soon!!! 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

OK, I’m not trying to jinx anything, but TODAY does not look like the day that UConn will be beat. WOW! And I watch BE hoops. 

Last May we flew into Florence, Italy on a small plane filled mostly with college girls. Popular destination for college girls for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

A couple girls are wearing UConn gear so we start talking. I tell them Xavier beat them 3 times that year, but lost in the Sweet 16. UConn won the ones that counted, like our Bills will be doing soon!!! 

After the first half ended, maybe you might think Illinois had a chance.  But this 2nd half has been a clinic.  They already equaled their first-half output in the first 8:20.

Oh and UCONN lost to Xavier twice last season. 

Edited by Doc

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

After the first half ended, maybe you might think Illinois had a chance.  But this 2nd half has been a clinic.  They already equaled their first-half output in the first 8:20.

We were out to dinner with friends and got home early second half. I’ve been wanting to tap the brakes on UConn, but it’s hard to do seeing this. 

But as we know, they play the games for a reason! 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

We were out to dinner with friends and got home early second half. I’ve been wanting to tap the brakes on UConn, but it’s hard to do seeing this. 

But as we know, they play the games for a reason! 

Yup.  And they're doing this against the #2 offense in the country.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  And they're doing this against the #2 offense in the country.

Held them to 52 points. That’s pretty crazy stuff. 

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

Oh and UCONN lost to Xavier twice last season. 

I thought we got them in the BE Tournament too, but regardless I can now bluff a bunch of drunk college girls. If only…….

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

Caitlin Clark vs Angel Reese is must see tv Monday night. Respectfully (and credit to each for own reason) that’s the first time I ever said that for a women’s college basketball game 

I wish they set them up in different brackets. Would have been neat to see them rematch in the final 4, at least. 

it is crazy though— due solely to Clark, I have actually watched a little more women’s bball here down the stretch. 

Id be very surprised if anyone but UConn wins.  

I know there’s always the possibility of upsets but Dan Hurley probably has it still fresh in his mind his brother’s Duke team beating UNLV back in 1991.  I think that was one of the biggest upsets then for it’s time?   Anyway Dan just strikes me as that kinda guy.  

UConn ain’t letting up.  

28 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I know there’s always the possibility of upsets but Dan Hurley probably has it still fresh in his mind his brother’s Duke team beating UNLV back in 1991.  I think that was one of the biggest upsets then for it’s time?   Anyway Dan just strikes me as that kinda guy.  

UConn ain’t letting up.  

I was thinking of that same UNLV team the other day.

UConn winning it all is not a given. I actually think Purdue or NC State could match up well with them, if either of them make it.

13 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

UConn ain’t letting up.  

I remember that game well. Not fondly, but well. 

We were in Boston on a work/pleasure trip and we met an old friend for lunch downtown at Ye Old Union Oyster House (est. 1826).  I had a fried clam sandwich, and it seems the clams had been hanging around since the grand opening. A few hours later I had a rumbling in my tummy, but my wife’s co-worker was going to treat us to his favorite restaurant in Boston, on the bank, so I kept going. 

It was in a beautiful old white house away from the city. I remember going in and ordering ginger ale. It’s all I could handle, and just barely. I remember laying on the floor in the bathroom, and that is never good. I wanted them to enjoy the evening, so the maitre de got a taxi to get me back to the hotel. The driver realized how sick I was and tried to drop me off at a different hotel, ANY hotel, to get me out of his car before something terrible happened. 🤢 🤮 or worse

I refused to get out, he got me to my hotel, and I listened to that basketball game from the cool tile of the bathroom floor of my hotel room. What a night! 

Good times! 😂 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I remember that game well. Not fondly, but well. 

We were in Boston on a work/pleasure trip and we met an old friend for lunch downtown at Ye Old Union Oyster House (est. 1826).  I had a fried clam sandwich, and it seems the clams had been hanging around since the grand opening. A few hours later I had a rumbling in my tummy, but my wife’s co-worker was going to treat us to his favorite restaurant in Boston, on the bank, so I kept going. 

It was in a beautiful old white house away from the city. I remember going in and ordering ginger ale. It’s all I could handle, and just barely. I remember laying on the floor in the bathroom, and that is never good. I wanted them to enjoy the evening, so the maitre de got a taxi to get me back to the hotel. The driver realized how sick I was and tried to drop me off at a different hotel, ANY hotel, to get me out of his car before something terrible happened. 🤢 🤮 or worse

I refused to get out, he got me to my hotel, and I listened to that basketball game from the cool tile of the bathroom floor of my hotel room. What a night! 

Good times! 😂 

That memory of that game gave you some gut reactions for sure! 

On 3/30/2024 at 9:13 PM, BillsFooteball said:

Caitlin Clark vs Angel Reese is must see tv Monday night. Respectfully (and credit to each for own reason) that’s the first time I ever said that for a women’s college basketball game 

Angel Reese is a nuisance but their coach is one of the most interesting people in the sport for women. Caitlin Clark is extremely good and will go on to have a wnba career.  Essentially, after they graduate we won't hear of or about with ever again. 

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

NC state. Holy cow. And some of us were mad that they beat cuse in the acc tournament 😂

Syracuse could have made a run if they got in..

They have three tremendous guards in everybody knows March madness is run through guard play

We don't have big men... But I don't think we're that far off from making a run

William Patterson could change that next year

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Syracuse could have made a run if they got in..

They have three tremendous guards in everybody knows March madness is run through guard play

We don't have big men... But I don't think we're that far off from making a run

William Patterson could change that next year

Maybe. Syracuse was wildly inconsistent this year. What NC state has done is incredible. Don't think anyone's beating UConn though, they look like an NBA team 

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Maybe. Syracuse was wildly inconsistent this year. What NC state has done is incredible. Don't think anyone's beating UConn though, they look like an NBA team 

For sure they were inconsistent...

They have been pretty inconsistent for years but even the last few times they have gotten in as low seeds they made the sweet 16 2-3

And they have really good guard play

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

For sure they were inconsistent...

They have been pretty inconsistent for years but even the last few times they have gotten in as low seeds they made the sweet 16 2-3

And they have really good guard play

Sort of interesting though how the tournament has changed. It used to be a guard’s tournament. But I would argue that having depth and great play at the 4 and 5 is now almost equally important, especially in this day and age of grad transfers, etc. 

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Sort of interesting though how the tournament has changed. It used to be a guard’s tournament. But I would argue that having depth and great play at the 4 and 5 is now almost equally important, especially in this day and age of grad transfers, etc. 

If I was a head coach and had the ability to build a team

I would recruit... 2 rim protecting centers

2 physical big 4s that rebound and defend 

A offensive SF who could put it on the deck and shoot 3s ... Also a ball moving 3 who could switch defend multiple spots... 3 n D

2 athletic PGs who can get into the paint whenever.. attacking PGs 

1 SG who is adept of off screens and catch and shoot situations

2 bigger combo guards who could switch defense , and be jack of all trades guys .. rebound , pass, put ball on deck

That's 11 ... And boeheim semi used to build teams like this back in Day 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1