FA signings of Samuel and Hollins impact on the WR draft strategy?

Draft impact of Samuel and Hollins  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What impact will Samuel and Hollins have on Beane's WR draft strategy?

• Stays put at 28, but nothing changes and still takes a WR
    • Won't go WR early and will wait until day 3 and find value in a deep draft
    • Looks to trade up to get a WR1 top end prospect to take over for Diggs in a year or 2
    • Looks to trade down and take a WR while adding some more draft assets
    • Other - Post below

Ive seen some differing thoughts in a number of threads on what this means now for the draft.  So posting this poll to see how people see these signings impacting Beane's aggressiveness of adding a WR in the draft.  Beane has made no secret about our interest in taking a WR, so this doesn't change that, we are still drafting at least one WR in the draft.  

The questions now come down to when, how aggressive we will or won't be, etc.  We have now have youth below WR1 Diggs for a few years with Samuel, Shakir and Kincaid here (not counting Shorter until he shows he belongs in the league first).  So knowing Beane still is almost certainly taking a WR in this draft, how do you think it impacts Beane's approach to this draft in regards to the WR position now?

Edited by Alphadawg7

Personally, I think the addition of Samuel on a 3 year deal opens up the aggressiveness for Beane to go get his guy who he believes can be the heir to Diggs.  Between Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid...we have those guys in their prime for at least 3 years or more.  Diggs is 31 and we are going to need a true WR1 to replace him potentially as soon as next year, or the year after that.  

So, IMHO Beane isn't going WR2 hunting in this draft now, I think his focus is on that true WR1 talent that can come in and learn from Diggs and be ready to take over next year or the year after for him.  

My way too early thoughts on this right now are that I think the odds of Beane trading up to get someone like Thomas (or if one of the big 3 slide because someone over-drafts Worthy based on his crazy 40 time) have increased with the Samuel deal.  

And with Hollins addition (excellent blocker and ST player) I think we may not double dip on WR now, and instead use the extra pick(s) as part of the move up and then use the rest of the picks to fill other holes on the roster, mostly defense and maybe an IOL like a C.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive seen some differing thoughts in a number of threads on what this means now for the draft.  So posting this poll to see how people see these signings impacting Beane's aggressiveness of adding a WR in the draft.  Beane has made no secret about our interest in taking a WR, so this doesn't change that, we are still drafting at least one WR in the draft.  

The questions now come down to when, how aggressive we will or won't be, etc.  We have now have youth below WR1 Diggs for a few years with Samuel, Shakir and Kincaid here (not counting Shorter until he shows he belongs in the league first).  So knowing Beane still is almost certainly taking a WR in this draft, how do you think it impacts Beane's approach to this draft in regards to the WR position now?

I want them to go best WR available in round 1.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Beane will believe WR isn’t as dire of a need as I do because he is the same guy that thought Trent and Harty were good investments and will consider other positions depending on how the board falls.

If that happens, my blood pressure will be in trouble.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Samuel changes nothing. He's a great player and we're going to have him on the field as much as you can. But he's more of a Slot that you can use on the Outside in certain packages. He's not a guy you put exclusively on the Boundary and call it a day. 

The plan all offseason was to go from a decent, yet unspectacular core to potentially a spectacular one. Replacing Gabe Davis, Deonte Harty, and Trent Sherfield with Curtis Samuel and Mack Hollins doesn't do that. Still one more step to take.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I think Beane will still want to land a WR in R1, get antsy, and then trade up to make sure he gets the guy he wants.

I hope so. As long as they get the guy they wanted most!

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I want them to go best WR available in round 1.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Beane will believe WR isn’t as dire of a need as I do because he is the same guy that thought Trent and Harty were good investments and will consider other positions depending on how the board falls.

If that happens, my blood pressure will be in trouble.

I get that...I just have this sneaky suspicion Beane is going to see this as a rare opportunity to go get an elite WR1 prospect despite picking low in the first.  There are 4 guys in this draft that would have been the best WR in half the last 10 drafts at least.  Its not very often we can get an elite prospect at WR within striking distance of 28 without having to trade a bounty.  

He knows he needs a succession plan for Diggs, and this is maybe his best shot at it.  I would think they wouldn't want to risk Allen not having that goto top end WR1 rest of his prime.  

And Samuel I think takes the pressure off needing 2 WR's in this draft, so he can maybe use some of those picks to make the move to get Thomas or maybe we get lucky and a QB run and someone like Worthy getting over drafted pushes one of the big 3 into the later teens or something.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that...I just have this sneaky suspicion Beane is going to see this as a rare opportunity to go get an elite WR1 prospect despite picking low in the first.  There are 4 guys in this draft that would have been the best WR in half the last 10 drafts at least.  Its not very often we can get an elite prospect at WR within striking distance of 28 without having to trade a bounty.  

He knows he needs a succession plan for Diggs, and this is maybe his best shot at it.  I would think they wouldn't want to risk Allen not having that goto top end WR1 rest of his prime.  

And Samuel I think takes the pressure off needing 2 WR's in this draft, so he can maybe use some of those picks to make the move to get Thomas or maybe we get lucky and a QB run and someone like Worthy getting over drafted pushes one of the big 3 into the later teens or something.  

Hope you’re right. I’ll believe it when they read the name on the card.

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Doesn’t part of you want to see Allen throwing bombs to Worthy though?  Or you’re thinking he’ll be kind of a flop as a WR in the NFL?

Just now, njbuff said:

The Bills still WR2 and they will get their man in the first round. Where in the first I have no idea. 

Im hoping they end up with Brian Thomas Jr. Even if it means trading up a few spots in the 1st. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Hope you’re right. I’ll believe it when they read the name on the card.

I don't know that I am right, its just more I just have to think they see this as too good a shot to get an elite prospect to replace what had been our best weapon maybe as soon as next year.  While I think there is no chance Diggs plays anywhere but Buffalo this year, I do think next year is when it becomes more of a conversation depending on how things go this year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I think the additions put us in better position to trade down if Thomas or Mitchell are off the board.  I don’t think they are taking WR no matter what.  If they don’t trade up, I think they take BPA if there are certain players on the board, ie latu, Dejean, chop.  

It’s a good OT draft.  They could even go that route if they worry about Spencer Brown costing more than they originally planned. If he improves in last season and stays healthy, he could make 18-20M a year.  Dunno if that’s in their plans

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know that I am right, its just more I just have to think they see this as too good a shot to get an elite prospect to replace what had been our best weapon maybe as soon as next year.  While I think there is no chance Diggs plays anywhere but Buffalo this year, I do think next year is when it becomes more of a conversation depending on how things go this year.

I felt VERY strongly about addressing the WR room last year for the eventual Davis and then Diggs replacement, and Brandon Beane drafted a TE, an OG and a backup weakside linebacker. And signed Sherfield and Harty in FA

I don’t know what’s going on in Beane’s head but it’s clear he and I are not on the same page.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Doesn’t part of you want to see Allen throwing bombs to Worthy though?  Or you’re thinking he’ll be kind of a flop as a WR in the NFL?

Worhty is this years Henry Ruggs for me, a guy who is going to get over drafted for running incredibly fast with no pads on in a straight line with no defenders.  

Not saying he can't be a good player or will be a bust as bad as Ruggs, but he is not the kind of player I want for Buffalo.  He is 6'1" but only 164 pounds and that concerns me for a number of reasons in Buffalo.

1. We ask a lot of our WR's in blocking. 
  2. Bad weather, especially snow, neutralizes speed.  We have a lot of that in Buffalo come back end of season and playoffs.  His lack of size means he might be too easily taken out of those bad weather games.
  3. Not sold his thin frame can hold up for 17 grueling NFL games plus preseason and playoffs every year as WR1 in the NFL.

I think Worhty is better off with a dome or fair weather team where he is a secondary option who can take the top off the defense.  

I love speed as much as anyone, but for me there are big guys running insane sub 4.4 speeds in this draft too, I would rather find a combo of size and speed than just skinny fast.  I want a team that is built to win the tough cold weather playoff games because that is likely what we will be in every year for our SB path whether its at home or on the road in a place like KC for example.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2