Which NFL Team do you think is winning the offseason up until this point?

Chaos

Never thought I'd say this but maybe Washington? I'm so used to them being a dismal mess of a team but they've made some decent moves. 

Detroit has had a sneaky good offseason too in terms of improving their defense. Offense is pretty much set if you think Goff can do it.

I hate Cousins. I think he's the definition of QB purgatory. But yeah, Atlanta is loaded with skill players so that acquisition alone could cause the biggest shift.

Realizing this is all NFC, so for AFC...it might honestly be KC unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Steelers - Wilson gives them a shot to win the division 

Ravens - solid moves and doubling down on what they do best is usually not wrong

Bears - if I was Chicago I would trade down and draft Harrison. I would give Fields another year with a better supporting cast. Worst case scenario you have made the offense much better and you draft another QB or find one in FA next year. That said maybe Caleb will be the answer.

Chargers - they got the best HC available. McD will be gone in a year or two having wasted 2 more years of Allen in his prime. Bills win the SuperBowl in 2024 if Harbaugh is the HC. 

Bills have done just fine otherwise

On the other end of the spectrum, Atlanta invested in the wrong QB and the wrong HC. They will be terrible again. 

The Steelers digressed by adding Wilson.

• Disagree 2

The Bills!  

made some really tough yet essential decisions. He parted ways with veteran players on the decline and didn’t overpay to retain marginal talent like Gabe Dropavis or sign mediocre talent to bloated contracts in phase 1 of FA.  

To this point there is not a single move or lack of move I disagree with.  Very interested to see how BB completes the roster with huge holes at S, C, CB, DT, and future gaps at DE and WR through the draft and 2nd/3rd phase of FA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Atlanta for sure, assuming Cousins is fully formed.

Baltimore doubling down on the best running game in the league doesn't move the needle for them.  At some point, they need to rely on Lamar as a throwing QB in the playoffs.  He's awful that time of year.

Pittsburgh getting Fields for a 6th and Wilson for a few million are the best moves this off season. They have the lowest risk highest potential values. They remade their entire future in a week of Free Agency.

Having said that winning Free Agency doesn't mean a whole lot. In September we'll get to see the real roster and with JA17 at the helm we will be contenders again.

Teams that are very active in FA usually have a lot of cap space and a lot of holes to fill. That usually means that they had a poor roster. And, by definition, they are signing guys that their previous team either didn't want anymore, didn't see as being worth their current contracts, or didn't see as being worth the price that their new teams paid. That being said, I think that the Houston Texans had the best FA this year. They added vets to a great young core. Their rebuild has been remarkable and will be a model of how to do it for other teams in the future. The worst FA has to be the Washington Commanders. The only criteria to get overpaid by them seems to be "guy that played for Dan Quinn." They threw a lot of money around but I'm not sure that they are any better than they were last month. Or Carolina, but they are a raging tire fire so they don't count.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Falcons are much improved.  

Steelers got huge value stealing Fields for a 6th.  He’ll beat out Wilson.  Not sure this makes them a playoff team, but Pickens is probably happy.

I don’t get the fields love (if that’s what this is) he’s a career backup at best. 

2 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

I don’t get the fields love (if that’s what this is) he’s a career backup at best. 

Fields is better than Russell or Pickett.  He is also an excellent athlete who could end up blossoming under the right OC.  He therefore makes the Steelers better, but how much better is the question.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Fields is better than Russell or Pickett.  He is also an excellent athlete who could end up blossoming under the right OC.  He therefore makes the Steelers better, but how Mich better is the question.

Eh. He’s about the same in terms of solely quarterback play to Wilson. Wouldn’t say better but definitely not worse. The best part to his game is what you specified; he’s an excellent athlete. 

On 3/16/2024 at 4:55 PM, Chaos said:

I never find comparing the 2024 Bills roster to the 2023 Bills roster or the 2019 Bills roster as interesting because the 2024 Bills will never play a previous version of the Bills.  I don't pay attention to every free agency move, so I don't have an opinion (which is odd because I usually have an opinion on everything) who has improved their team the most with the combination of coaching changes, player cuts and player signings.  (ordinary administrative moves like restructurings or extensions, may create the ability to improve a roster, but the don't actually change the roster in and of themselves, so I don't consider them needle movers. )

So far the only move that jumped out as me as maybe be missing piece to allow a team to advance further was the Raven's signing of Derrick Henry.  But I have no idea what else the have done. 

Who does everyone think has done the best for themselves?

I think the Falcons adding a top 10 QB trumps all other current moves. IMO. 

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Fields is better than Russell or Pickett.  He is also an excellent athlete who could end up blossoming under the right OC.  He therefore makes the Steelers better, but how Mich better is the question.

Seems like the NFL disagrees that Fields is better than Russell or Pickett. 

Under the circumstances the Bills have had a top 5 off season so far.  They re-signed the two guys from the team they had to;  they added a high quality offensive weapon, they solidified their coaching ranks; they got their CAP under control and basically Belichecked several players who were on the downward trajectory of their careers.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Under the circumstances the Bills have had a top 5 off season so far.  They re-signed the two guys from the team they had to;  they added a high quality offensive weapon, they solidified their coaching ranks; they got their CAP under control and basically Belichecked several players who were on the downward trajectory of their careers.

Everything bolded does not improve the team. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Everything bolded does not improve the team. 

You can't read my post without first seeing and understanding the CIRCUMSTANCES in which the Bills off season started.  When you have been a division winner and final 4 - 8 finisher for 4 straight years the off season isn't about getting better as much as it's about staying at the top.

• Like (+1) 1