Bills re-signing Ty Johnson

bills742

1 hour ago, harmonkillebrew said:

I don't dislike Ty, but did we really need to prioritize a backup RB at this stage in FA, or a backup S (Cam Lewis),  or a backup LB/ST (Morrow), or a ST gunner/backup WR (Mack Hollins), or a backup QB (Trubisky) or a FB/backup TE (Morris), or a Punter?  We have massive holes in the starting lineup and need to improve our roster with significant talent to keep up/pass the Chiefs, Ravens, etc...  yet we're focused on backups. None of these guys are impact players and they can all just as easily be replaced with rookies or signings later closer to training camp.  Take their collective salaries (Hollins, $3M, Lewis $4m, Trubisky ..., etc.) and sign a real impact player, before they're all gone. 

It's not about the RB per se. Its about prioritizing signing backups when we need starters in key areas.

Meanwhile the best FAs are quickly disappearing. 

Agreed the Buffalo Bills have major problems in there secondary we let guys go for cap reasons only to waste money on backup quarterback like it matters and backup running back. If Bills fans wonder why don’t the Bills win the Super Bowl for all these years. Stuff like this is why the Bills were miss managed by Ralph Wilson and Terry Pegula with the management people they hire are flawed. The Bills have wasted money backups that are a dime a dozen like Cam Lewis who I would have cut last season his play was so bad the Bills give him a raise and especially Mitch Trubisky that were both a waste of money. I can find Mitch Trubisky on the street after the UFL season is over if I need a quarterback if Josh Allen potentially went down. It’s not like it matters if Josh Allen goes down the Bills is basically all over. Mitch Trubisky isn’t saving the Bills season. Mitch Trubisky failed with Chicago Bears and Pittsburgh Steelers but the Bills think they are the smartest team in the NFL and way over pay for Mitch Trubisky ridiculous. Oh I know Mitch Trubisky is a fine young man. You can see the Kansas City Chiefs are getting stronger and the Buffalo Bills are getting weaker by wasting what little cap space and money they have on backups. Oh I know Buffalo Super Fan the Bills are going to get that all in the NFL draft for pennies on the dollar keep telling yourself that as a Bills fan. This Bills fan says the Bills aren’t going to solve what they cut all in the draft. The Bills needed to focus on secondary help not backup quarterback and running backs in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Cool. We still need a RB2. 

I like Johnson and like the versatility he brings on ST. That said there is nothing remotely about him that is a RB2 in this league IMO. 

And 54 of those yards alone came from the Dallas game, where the Cowboys absolutely REFUSED to tackle any RBs. 

Good depth player. Wouldn't want him as "next man up" if Cook misses time. 

And why are you so meh on Ty Johnson?  He ran hard, and showed a good burst and vision whenever he was on the field and his number was called.  I think he is fine as a # 2 RB for the time being.  We can draft a guy in the later rounds, or bring in another low cost free agent.  But our offense is predicated on Josh Allen making plays chucking the ball around the field, and running when he sees an opportunity.  Cook and Johnson are a very solid one two punch.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

And why are you so meh on Ty Johnson?  He ran hard, and showed a good burst and vision whenever he was on the field and his number was called.  I think he is fine as a # 2 RB for the time being.  We can draft a guy in the later rounds, or bring in another low cost free agent.  But our offense is predicated on Josh Allen making plays chucking the ball around the field, and running when he sees an opportunity.  Cook and Johnson are a very solid one two punch.  

I mean, I like Johnson enough as a RB3/ST type. He's shown ability to handle that role. I have zero problem with him in that role again this year. But a RB2? Sorry, just don't see it. Yup, he runs hard. Yup he has some burst. But he had a whopping 30 carries last year. He is the definition of a JAG. 

Let me present this a different way. Say, we didn't re-sign him and he went to another team. Their lead back is down the week we play them and we are up against Johnson. You scared? Like at all? Of course not. He's really a non factor.

Cook really played well last year. Showed a lot of talent. That will keep getting him opportunity. However, what if his fumbles and drops continue? Sorry, but we need a RB2 that can step in there if Cook falters or gets hurt. But like I said, Johnson is an almost ideal RB3 guy. Has some pop. Can play ST. Perfect for that role. 

Last year was the first in Buffalo for Ty. At the beginning of the year the OC didn't know him and didn't call his number, when the new OC started, he gave Johnson a couple of plays, and he answered the call. As the season wore on he seemed to feel comfortable calling his number, Josh seemed comfortable with him too. This is an inexpensive move for a guy that can do many things, like returning kicks and playing on Special Teams and running and catching the ball.

At the end of last season, I wanted this guy on the field more, not less... I like the signing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I thought he was excellent as a #2 RB.  Ideally, I do believe we would like to have more of a short yardage sort of back added to the roster, I'm guessing we will look to add one to the team before the season begins.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Glad Ty is back as #3 RB.  Also a KO return option.  

Agree.  He runs hard and caught everything thrown at him last year.  Good RB#3.  Should get some extra carries and catches compared to last year.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Agreed the Buffalo Bills have major problems in there secondary we let guys go for cap reasons only to waste money on backup quarterback like it matters and backup running back. If Bills fans wonder why don’t the Bills win the Super Bowl for all these years. Stuff like this is why the Bills were miss managed by Ralph Wilson and Terry Pegula with the management people they hire are flawed. The Bills have wasted money backups that are a dime a dozen like Cam Lewis who I would have cut last season his play was so bad the Bills give him a raise and especially Mitch Trubisky that were both a waste of money. I can find Mitch Trubisky on the street after the UFL season is over if I need a quarterback if Josh Allen potentially went down. It’s not like it matters if Josh Allen goes down the Bills is basically all over. Mitch Trubisky isn’t saving the Bills season. Mitch Trubisky failed with Chicago Bears and Pittsburgh Steelers but the Bills think they are the smartest team in the NFL and way over pay for Mitch Trubisky ridiculous. Oh I know Mitch Trubisky is a fine young man. You can see the Kansas City Chiefs are getting stronger and the Buffalo Bills are getting weaker by wasting what little cap space and money they have on backups. Oh I know Buffalo Super Fan the Bills are going to get that all in the NFL draft for pennies on the dollar keep telling yourself that as a Bills fan. This Bills fan says the Bills aren’t going to solve what they cut all in the draft. The Bills needed to focus on secondary help not backup quarterback and running backs in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Every position is important and signing Trubisky at the amount we did is perfectly fine. Coach is very good at drafting and developing DB’s. We have a DB friendly system - except for the safeties. Damar is a shining example of someone being incapable of developing at S. In short, we must have 2-3 more safeties brought to camp, hoping that 1 is capable of starting and maybe two backups. This is the most concerning problem going into the rest of the offseason.  

Solid move.

One of McDermott's finest moments last season was letting this kid run out the clock against the Steelers.  The game was not over but he let the kid get meaningful snaps in front of the home crowd. Rewarding a guy like this for hard work is one of McDermott's finest qualities. 

He should be a very very good RB3 and maybe push to be RB2.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

What major problems in the secondary?

The top 3 CBs and Johnson are all back. White was never going to start again. Dane was never anything special. 

Poyer and Hyde were bad lady year.

Rapp is probably a small upgrade.

That leaves one starting salary that can  one later or via the draft.

Now if you said edge, I would agree with you. I loathe bringing back Epenesa.

Lastly I generally agree they waste money on special teams. I would have not signed Lewis or this WR. Both are no better than an UDFA. I like the LB as a cheaper upgrade over Matakevich. 

This strikes me as way too soon to invest in an RB.  I would have let him test free agency.  Go out and see the world Ty Johnson.  Come back and see us when you're 32.  Right now hes too green and too fast.

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

A lot of people are repeating this.  He had one appearance of notice (Dallas, 54 yards on 9 carries) running the ball.  The rest of his games were 0, 0, 2, 11, 19, 19, 22 and 5 yards.  What burst and vision are you referring to?

He had so few touches, how was he 1/2 punch?

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A lot of people are repeating this.  He had one appearance of notice (Dallas, 54 yards on 9 carries) running the ball.  The rest of his games were 0, 0, 2, 11, 19, 19, 22 and 5 yards.  What burst and vision are you referring to?

He had so few touches, how was he 1/2 punch?

He wasn't used much.  He seemed to come in late in the game and did ok.  His 7 for 7 catches averaged 9 YPC with a TD was nice.

He did pretty well when asked to play.  I don't expect too much from him but as a RB#3 the Bills have done a lot worse.

32 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This strikes me as way too soon to invest in an RB.  I would have let him test free agency.

This is how I feel about almost all our signings so far. Epenesa is the only one where I feel we got good value and couldn't have easily replaced his role with a late round or UDFA rookie.