NFL Admits Mistake, Bengals get 3rd Rnd Comp Pick

boyst

I honestly don't know about the rest of you, and frankly I don't even care, but I am just about ready to get naked and start the revolution because after the Edmunds 4th round comp pick debacle I believe its high time to go Gary Oldman in "The Professional" demon-level-pay back on this overwhelmingly high level of horse **** we are seeing right now.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Anyone know what the playing time benchmarks are for comp picks?

What I keep reading is Edmunds missing time due to injury may have been why we got a 4th not 3rd.

I see that too, John, but jeepers it is my understanding that he still was in on more than 800 plays for the season.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Maybe the benchmark is 801? 🤷‍♂️

Here or on X someone said he may have had 847.

Isn't it the the height of ridiculousness that we even have to sit here and pontificate on why this happened as we get a measly 4th for an All-Pro LB who left for more than $70 million?!

This is crazy, brother.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Yeah I'm still questioning how the 49ers got a 3rd for Jimmy G, sure he got money but didn't live up to the contract. In the very least can say Edwards played well for the Bears.

They didnt. The 3rd was for Ryans. They got a 4th for Jimmy G.

Posted (edited)

Edmunds: 875 snaps; 100% 10 weeks, missed 2 games with 0%.

Garrapolo: 325 snaps; 100$ 4 weeks, missed 10 games with 0%.

Bates: 1133 snaps; 100% 15 weeks.

Hargrave: 730 snaps; no snap count over 71%. Missed 2 weeks.

Taylor: 1076 snaps

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

image.thumb.png.fcf901a9fbc2a4b0a4449651fa70198b.png

Morris and Ryans/Carthon really must be something special to impact the game played by players.

Edited by boyst
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Yeah I'm still questioning how the 49ers got a 3rd for Jimmy G, sure he got money but didn't live up to the contract. In the very least can say Edwards played well for the Bears.

They didn’t, SF got a 4th rounder.  But Nick Korte was saying it should have been a 3rd rounder too.  I disagree, just cause he is at a position that overpays, it shouldn’t achieve a 3rd rounder when he sucked and lost his job.  At the same time, playing time should not factor in at all.  Say you lose a top guy to a team and they have a freak injury and miss the season for another team.  Who cares?  They were still a really good player for your team and you lost them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Just get rid of comp picks.  If NFL can’t even correctly compute their own formulas, it’s beyond time to eliminate it.  Same with the minority coach comp picks.  It’s a noble intention but find a better way to incentivize it or penalize a lack of diversity.  

I mean a third round pick is just ridiculous. 

You want to throw someone a 7th for diversity hires be my guest. But a day two pick cuz someone hired out of your staff had the right skin color? Give me a break… 

This is what they have for overthecap - also i just read all this, i thought it was money only.  

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

Start with the Average Per Year (APY) of the contract signed.

Subtract from the APY any money that the compensatory formula does not count3. 

Rank these players by adjusted APY in descending order, and assign points to each player, equal to [number of leaguewide players]-[rank].

Add anywhere from 25 to 100 points for players who played a percentage of snaps on offense or defense in the range of 25% to 100%. (Kickers and punters are given a different point addition unrelated to snap counts.)

Add 20 or 5 points for postseason honors as determined by the AP’s All Pro list, and the PFWA’s All NFL/All Conference list.

Bates was 2nd team all-pro and made the pro-bowl and played a higher percentage of snaps.  So that explains the jump ahead of edmunds.

Since Bates is now a 3rd round pick instead of a 4th... Orlando brown who was also judged at a 4th, now cancels out with Vonn Bell who is the next highest comp pick in the formula of a 6th round pick.

A CFA gained by a team cancels out the highest-valued available CFA lost that has the same round valuation of the CFA gained.

If there is no available CFA lost in the same round as the CFA gained, the CFA gained will instead cancel out the highest-available CFA lost with a lower round value.

A CFA gained will only cancel out a CFA lost with a higher draft order if there are no other CFAs lost available to cancel out.

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Do you want to provide your formula for how it should work?