DaQuan Re-Signed - 2 yrs 16M

7 hours ago, Process said:

No brainer. Great move. 

Now that's enough re-signing guys. Let everyone else go, not interested in bringing back anyone else. We need some fresh young faces on the d line and at WR. 

100% I wonder if Beane has a trade up his sleeve. Still need a #1 edge, #3 DT, couple of safeties, WR 2, RB 2 and I'd like a new kicker.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think it’s people with shiny new toy syndrome.  They just want a different name regardless who it is 

No, I think it’s more of a on the wrong side of thirty and he’s injury prone. We’re still going to need to draft a DT in the first or second round. This team has quite a few holes to fill to depend on the draft to fill them. Add in having no money to sign good players, I hope we don’t have another injury plagued year because our depth is non existent at this time.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

No. That’s insane. I mean, Daquan was playing well for us and I’m glad he’s back and all. He’s a good player. But he was never playing anywhere close to an “All Pro” level. If he was capable of playing like Aaron Donald, Frank Clark, Chris Jones or Justin Madibuke, then he’d be getting $25M-$30M a season like they are. He’s getting $8M (or up to $8M). 

Far from insane...

He swallows up two blockers and is dominant in the run.  Before he was hurt, started penetrating and impacting the QB. He allows Oliver to be Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

100% I wonder if Beane has a trade up his sleeve. Still need a #1 edge, #3 DT, couple of safeties, WR 2, RB 2 and I'd like a new kicker.

That’s a lot to ask for a draft to fill. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hmm. Guess it was a bad year to need DL help. We are bringing back the same underperforming group and hoping for the best.

I'm a little perplexed about Beane's strategy these past couple weeks. Cut underperforming overpaid players, then turn around and re-sign a bunch of guys in the same bucket.

I'm sure the real numbers aren't so bad. Hopefully he's healthy and gives us the level of play we got before his injury. I'm not upset about this individual signing. Just confused about what the plan is.

I do find this post confusing.

Jones isn't an underperforming player but you're putting him in that bucket. 

Our offensive line prior to last year was underperforming.  Does that mean we should have not kept Morse and Dawkins over the last few years?

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Agree. That's why I wonder if a trade is coming.

I would not be surprised. The failure rate of rookie WR’s is almost as bad as Qb’s. We cargo into the season with Diggs and Shakir as our two main receivers. Even if we draft one in the first, will they be able to contribute right away?

I’m worried about our depth at receiver.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Far from insane...

He swallows up two blockers and is dominant in the run.  Before he was hurt, started penetrating and impacting the QB. He allows Oliver to be Oliver. 

Lotta room between a good player and an All Pro. The All Pro talk is ridiculous. 

• Eyeroll 1

A lot of DTs reached agreement with teams during the day yesterday, and with our limited cap space, it may be that Jones was one of the best options remaining in our price range.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I think they’re counting on von. My guess is we sign a dt and use draft for wr, safety and rb

Just now, aristocrat said:

I think they’re counting on von. My guess is we sign a dt and use draft for wr, safety and rb

I think this is 100% correct and I think von delivers. Just a gut feeling with his work ethic and training.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

He did not look good after he came back from the injury.  I worry that 32 is just too old.  

I wouldnt have signed him, but this team seems to hang onto the devil they know too long.

I think he was improving as the season went on. Not saying he’s going to be back to his old form but I wouldn’t count him out just yet.

28 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I would not expect anything more than a mid round draft pick or another low cost veteran stopgap at DE at this stage. 

Edited by Brandon

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Lot of cap space difference as well. Jones is an excellent DT and what we need right now.

No argument on the cap space (as I already mentioned). Again, he’s a good player and I’m happy to have him back. But the All Pro talk is insane - as evidenced by his contract. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

They should sign some 18 year olds to make this board happy. We cut how many older players?  We’re getting younger, stop it. 

haven't you heard we are just running it back with the same losers

• Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Happy, if you take what they have done so far, aside from the Jones move, they have gotten younger. The 1 tech market is weird in some ways. Most guys are in that 28-29 year old range. I do hope they go after a Raekwon Davis...26 years old, 6-7, 330. Or a cheaper guy like Leki Fotu, 25 years old, a disappointment in Arizona (who isn't?) so should be cheap and he's 6-5 335. They can still add to the group, and they have to. I am good with the Jones add as long as they don't continue to add a bunch of 32-year-old guys to the DL group. 

Epenesa replaces Floyd. He will be 26 in September and Floyd will be 32. I don't love Epenesa, but there seems to be some upside and the deal is super fair. Do I wish they had a 3rd and did that Brian Burns trade? Absolutely. 

I don't like the Cam Lewis signing, I think he is a minimum guy, but on the surface, he is more or less replacing Siran Neal. Lewis will be 27 this Spring and Neal will be 30. They did technically get cheaper here as well. 

We don't know what Rapp is going to be, but assuming he is replacing Poyer he is 26 (27 in December) and Poyer will be 33 this Spring. But they seem to like Rapp and a lot of the news coming out last offseason when he signed is that Bills engaged with him early as he was going to be the Poyer replacement. Then Poyer came back for a small contract and they still signed Rapp anyway. I think this year was Rapp's tryout period and they like the way he fits. They also got cheaper here. 

David Edwards will be 27 years old next week. Morse will be 32 in April. They got cheaper here as well and I have always liked Edwards quite a bit. I think this is likely an upgrade as long as he stays healthy.  

Nothing here is earth-shattering and aside from Jones, they did get significantly younger in multiple spots.

They still have to add WRs, and DL, as well as another starting safety. If they add a FA WR he is very unlikely to be younger than Gabe Davis who is only 25. But there are opportunities to get younger at those other positions. I do think the plan is to get younger and cheaper, but Jones is the exception so far. 

On Epenesa vs Floyd, I agree I would take Epenesa because he is younger. I don't hate that deal. I do think it is another instance of us spending a good chunk of cap space on a backup defensive lineman, which I have been against, but the market for that position really sucks right now and we aren't likely to be able to address it in the draft. So I get it. Epenesa at least still has some upside.

On the other players, they are young but they aren't cheap relative to their position and spot on the roster.

What it really comes down to for me is we are bringing back the same group of players that continually fail to show up in the playoffs. What has Epenesa ever done in a playoff game? Or even Daquan Jones. Two years ago he was out for the divisional round with an injury. This past year he was a shell of himself in the playoffs. Now he's a year older and we're giving him a 2 year deal?

I was looking forward to a big shakeup on the roster this year. We can't just keep doing the same thing and expect to get over the hump. After all the cuts last week I was certain this regime was of the same mindset. I've criticized this regime for being unwilling to step outside their comfort zone. It is like after last week they felt too far out of it so they had to bring back a bunch of players they "know" even if the value wasn't there. The Chiefs wouldn't have re-signed Daquan Jones, I am positive of that. And that's our competition. I'd like us to start emulating them.

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Jones isn't an underperforming player but you're putting him in that bucket. 

I don't mean underperforming like he was a bad player on the field. But he missed 9 games last year... He underperformed in the same way that Tre White has underperformed. It's not his fault, it's just the reality. 32 years old coming off a major injury that left him hobbled at the end of the season. I expected him to get maybe a 1 year $5M deal on the open market.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1