Plans at WR?

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think Marquise Brown is a Buffalo Bill.

That would be great! draft one in the second round too as our first pick is D so we can actually stop another offense when it counts.

People are complaining about a lack of "elite" talent on the Bills and then turn around and want to replace Davis with a retread. No, just No! I don't want to waste a single cap $ on any FA WRs.  We have Diggs and with the development of Shakir, Cook and Kincaid, plus a healthy Knox, the 2nd boundary receiver might be Josh's 6th most popular target.  Why waste cap $ there?  Get a couple WRs in the draft; one early and one late, and let the chips fall where they may.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 2

The talk on WGR has shifted heavily to big trade based on Sal bringing it up earlier.

I don’t think it’s based on anything other than vibes, lack of WR2, aggressive clearing of cap space and Beane’s tendencies.. but I think the need for elite pieces vs solid depth is gaining some traction.. at least in terms of a growing sense of what the Bills may be missing as we keep coming up short. 

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Can't help but wonder if Justin Jefferson will want to stay with the Vikings while waiting for a new quarterback to develop or the likes of Fields

I can't see Bears trading in division. Fields to Denver could work.

3 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

With Harty released and now Gabe signing with the Jags, what is the strategy/approach for WR? Are we going dumpster diving in Free Agency and then hoping we hit in the draft at WR?

Our current roster is Diggs, Shakir, Sherfield and Shorter (inactive all season). Currently not scaring anyone and probably in the bottom 10 as a WR group.

Anyone else uncomfortable? That’s a lot of pressure to hit on WR that is impactful in the draft! Do we trade up? 

Thoughts or perspective on Beane’s approach?

Not sure why we needed another thread on this...but the plan is the same as its been all offseason.  Let Gabe walk, and target WR help in what is one of the deepest and riches drafts at WR for as long as I can remember.  

We will 100% be taking a WR early (round 1 or 2) and then likely double up somewhere on day 3.  They will still sign a bargain vet at some point before the draft as well.  

Who ever we take early is going to start opposite Diggs this year with the hope he can develop into the heir to Diggs as WR1 as well.  Shakir has alredy showed he can big a quality WR for us to build around as well and then we still have weapons like Kincaid, Cook, and Knox.  

The offense is good shape and will be in very good shape post draft.  

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I can't see Bears trading in division. Fields to Denver could work.

I don't see the Broncos offering draft capital for an unproven QB especially since all their best picks go to Seattle. I can see them suffering through a season of Ryan Tannehill or Andy Dalton 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think Marquise Brown is a Buffalo Bill.

I highly doubt it.  He is the 2nd best FA WR left behind Ridley.  Beane isn't paying a small WR double digits before a WR rich draft where we have 11 picks to move around to get a stud prospect.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I highly doubt it.  He is the 2nd best FA WR left behind Ridley.  Beane isn't paying a small WR double digits before a WR rich draft where we have 11 picks to move around to get a stud prospect.  

Sounds like the Bills don’t want to spend wr2 on a wr2. They are all in to draft a WR? 

3 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

With Harty released and now Gabe signing with the Jags, what is the strategy/approach for WR? Are we going dumpster diving in Free Agency and then hoping we hit in the draft at WR?

Our current roster is Diggs, Shakir, Sherfield and Shorter (inactive all season). Currently not scaring anyone and probably in the bottom 10 as a WR group.

Anyone else uncomfortable? That’s a lot of pressure to hit on WR that is impactful in the draft! Do we trade up? 

Thoughts or perspective on Beane’s approach?

Take Out The Trash GIF by CBC

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sounds like the Bills don’t want to spend wr2 on a wr2. They are all in to draft a WR? 

Yeah, I do not at all expect us to pay WR2 money...they are going to draft a WR2 who has the potential to emerge as a WR1 to take over for Diggs in a year or two.  I also think they take a 2nd WR to develop as well as a potential future WR2 (like they did when they took Davis) on day 3.  

The obvious plan is to get younger at WR.  They are targeting a WR in round 1 and will likely move up to get him.  They may sign a FA or two for camp competition, but otherwise, no major FA signings at WR should be expected.