Bills re-sign Cam Lewis

Process

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Cam Lewis is one of the best bottom end depth players you can get in the league.. just his experience in McDermott scheme gives him so much flexibility and safety and slot corner and special teams

The back half of an NFL roster.. number 45-52... Is typically back half roster guys who get turned around yearly 

Having cohesion and he can make plays... Is certainly better than another teams 50th back end player who has to learn the system

Cam is liked in the locker room and by the staff.. and if a rookie beats him out they certainly won't keep cam over him

At least when the birds are in the bush they aren’t sh—ing in your hand…

🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agree as far as depth is concerned but if he's our starting safety opening day I'm gonna lose it.

I think we should wait and see… The majority of us fans were all highly concerned about Bernard being the starter next to Milano entering last season… Look how that worked out. Guy was a stud for us. Sometimes all it takes for a player to get it is to sit and wait for their shot…

Lewis has had some suspect play but that’s expected in adjusting to the league where you’re not an exceptional athlete or savant of the game’s mental aspect. 

I spent a lot of time around the UB program over the last 20 plus years

And cam Lewis was a tremendous football player... Not only did he start on the outside... 

But he displayed great tackling skills with good burst... Undersized for an outside corner he was tough as nails with an ability to play the ball

UB had him lined up on an island a lot 

He played with a club for a while during his junior year and still was banging

He's still relatively new to the safety position but I'm not surprised he is stuck around for over 3 years because he is a good football player

4 minutes ago, BBFL said:

I think we should wait and see… The majority of us fans were all highly concerned about Bernard being the starter next to Milano entering last season… Look how that worked out. Guy was a stud for us. Sometimes all it takes for a player to get it is to sit and wait for their shot…

Lewis has had some suspect play but that’s expected in adjusting to the league where you’re not an exceptional athlete or savant of the game’s mental aspect. 

Read my brand new post below yours

He's also new to safety... He was playing on the boundary at UB for years battling with bigger stronger guys

He's tough as nails  and beloved as a UB bull

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not really a fan of this. Lewis and Rapp are not guys you sign on day zero of FA. If they sign elsewhere so be it, we can find cheaper options on day 3 of the draft or in late stage FA. McDermott is a little too obsessed with continuity at depth positions IMO.

Eh.  When you look at the details of Rapp's 3 year, $10M contract - it's really a 1 year, $3.7 M contract with a $2.8M cap hit this year.  That slots him in as the #42 paid safety or something like that.

I'm not impressed with either guy as players, but as depth signings for guys who truly understand the system in a transition time,  it doesn't put me in a flutter either way.

Cam Lewis is one guy I do kinda wish would retire for his own good though.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He played with a club for a while during his junior year and still was banging

Agree on the tough as nails.  

As far as I know he's still playing with a brace on his right arm, due to a persistent bone infection of....6 years now?  as part of the aftermath of breaking his arm at UB.  It probably needs surgery to clean it out for his long-term health and well-being, but he understandably doesn't want to shut himself down while he can make bank.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Eh.  When you look at the details of Rapp's 3 year, $10M contract - it's really a 1 year, $3.7 M contract with a $2.8M cap hit this year.  That slots him in as the #42 paid safety or something like that.

I'm not impressed with either guy as players, but as depth signings for guys who truly understand the system in a transition time,  it doesn't put me in a flutter either way.

As far as I know he's still playing with a brace on his right arm, due to a persistent bone infection of....6 years now?  as part of the aftermath of breaking his arm at UB.  It probably needs surgery to clean it out for his long-term health and well-being, but he understandably doesn't want to shut himself down while he can make bank.

he broke it 2017 which was his junior year

And he was lights out as a senior

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

he broke it 2017 which was his junior year

And he was lights out as a senior

Pretty sure that's when he got the infection (2018, as it healed)

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-cam-lewis-bone-infection-injury-preseason-preview-rumor

'22 article explaining he'd had a persistent bone infection 4 years at that time

IIRC brace still there.

Bone infections hurt.  Tough mutha.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Pretty sure that's when he got the infection (2018, as it healed)

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-cam-lewis-bone-infection-injury-preseason-preview-rumor

'22 article explaining he'd had a persistent bone infection 4 years at that time

IIRC brace still there.

Bone infections hurt.  Tough mutha.

He wears that cuz there might be necrosis of the bone

Which is wild that he is playing professional football

People are going to be surprised by him with a full off season of being in the top four safety rotation... He's going to look a lot more comfortable with reps

A very technically sound tackler... He can play Man from the safety spot.. and he's got a great sense for the game

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/11/2024 at 10:37 PM, Buffalo716 said:

He wears that cuz there might be necrosis of the bone

Which is wild that he is playing professional football

People are going to be surprised by him with a full off season of being in the top four safety rotation... He's going to look a lot more comfortable with reps

A very technically sound tackler... He can play Man from the safety spot.. and he's got a great sense for the game

Are you thinking the Bills starting safeties will be Taylor Rapp and Cam Lewis?

On 3/11/2024 at 11:17 PM, Beck Water said:

what is the definition of "transition time" that you use. What does it mean? No need to get fancy just curious to have it defined briefly by you as to its meaning.

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

It's on Sportrac now. Much cheaper than advertised. Only $3,1M over two years instead of $4M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cam-lewis-29585/

@Process tagging you if you wish to edit title

Just was looking at that.  It's a cheap signing.  When will some members on this board wait for the real numbers.

On 3/11/2024 at 6:27 PM, HappyDays said:

Not really a fan of this. Lewis and Rapp are not guys you sign on day zero of FA. If they sign elsewhere so be it, we can find cheaper options on day 3 of the draft or in late stage FA. McDermott is a little too obsessed with continuity at depth positions IMO.

Happy I agreed with this post but now when the contract details are out there it looks much better. He is really cheap.

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Are you thinking the Bills starting safeties will be Taylor Rapp and Cam Lewis?

I think it's wayyy to soon to hand a job to either of them ... Especially when competition brings out the best 

I have to believe that our middle linebacker competition last year really brought out the dogs in all of them

I think rapp has the easiest track to a starting job... But cam is very versatile and a whole offseason at free safety and he might surprise us... He has range 

On 3/11/2024 at 1:28 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, we can sign any FA out there and we're spending the early hours of FA on extensions and bringing back our own guys. 

Tells me we are NOT looking to be aggressive in the least. To the draft ..

Beane is doing exactly what he said he was going to do in free agency so far.  He said they would not be big players early, and other than a couple of cheaper signings, they are not.  He said they will be looking for value as it progresses and I am sure they will.  If people were expecting some big splash signing I am not quite sure how they got to that expectation.  

I expect a safety signing before too long, and additional Dl depth.  Post June 1, there may be an opportunity similar to Floyd last year.  They will have more money than when Tre’s savings kick in.  Patience.