Russ signs 1yr $1.2M deal with Pittsburgh

Process

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

They were a playoff team last year. They should just go 5-12 with Pickett and try to find an answer at QB.

Tomlin gonna Tomlin.

Yeah seems like a recipe with him and Tomlin for a Lockeroom of 2 men enter one man leaves with those personalities, and I wouldn't bet on Mr. Dangewhich in that fight.

10 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Good move for the Steelers. Wilson just has to be not horrible and they are a playoff team. For 1.2 mil, that’s a good bet

I hadn't seen the money. If I'm the Steelers, desperately in need of a QB and picking in the high 20s, why wouldn't you take a flier on Rus for that money? If he bounces back, great! If he doesn't you are no worse off than when you began.

11 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Great move for the Steelers. Russ showed flashes last season. If the Steelers line is better than Denvers - Russ can cook still. It will be interesting to watch what they do in the draft. For me, the Steelers just got much better.

I don't know about "much" better. I still have to see how it works out. 

But there's a chance it works out that way, I think. My bet would be something more on the order of significantly better and probably won't seriously compete for a title but maybe will win a playoff game or maybe even two if things go well.

5 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I hadn't seen the money. If I'm the Steelers, desperately in need of a QB and picking in the high 20s, why wouldn't you take a flier on Rus for that money? If he bounces back, great! If he doesn't you are no worse off than when you began.

Russ was probably willing to take a cheaper 1 year prove it deal somewhere as a starter knowing he's getting paid by Denver either way. Won't change the fact that he won't have the weight he's used to though.

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Disagree. That $1.2 is no commitment. Neither would $5m. They’re bringing him in for competition, don’t think he nails it in either for the reason you stated; he wants to show people he’s willing to play. He’ll get that chance there. 

Pitt will be looking at these QBs if they fall to them, no doubt. Pickett isn’t the guy. The guy isn’t even on the roster. That team is just looking to win now and fix the position as they go. 

They have too much talent on both sides of the ball just to wait it out and hope something materializes that’s a long term fix. 

It's not a bad hedge at almost no risk while they take their shot in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Was his Denver deal one of the biggest swindles in pro sports history? I don't know basketball or baseball enough but would suspect few NFL deals have touched this in terms of overpaying, both salary and draft capital.

Could end up being a sneaky good move for the Steelers.  Russ is a big upgrade over Pickett, regardless of his last 2 years...threw 26 TDs and only 8 INTs last year and was benched in December.

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He sure as ***** beat us.

No he didn't.. McDermott beat the Bills that game.

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Could end up being a sneaky good move for the Steelers.  Russ is a big upgrade over Pickett, regardless of his last 2 years...threw 26 TDs and only 8 INTs last year and was benched in December.

there's really nothing sneaky about it. He's been in and won Super Bowls. he's a shell of himself but he's still an accomplished albeit, overrated player

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Was his Denver deal one of the biggest swindles in pro sports history? I don't know basketball or baseball enough but would suspect few NFL deals have touched this in terms of overpaying, both salary and draft capital.

Let me introduce you to a Mr. Bobby Bonilla: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/us/bobby-bonilla-day-why-does-new-york-mets-star-bobby-bonilla-gets-1-2-million-on-july-1/articleshow/101423397.cms?from=mdr

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Wowzers!

On the first day of July each year since 2011, Bobby Bonilla, a former New York Mets star who retired in 2001, receives a check worth $1,193,248.20 from the Mets. This arrangement will continue until 2035 when Bonilla turns 72. The ongoing payments stem from a deferred contract buyout agreement made between Bonilla and the team in 2000, ensuring he receives a significant sum for a period of 25 years.

In a unique arrangement, the New York Mets decided to buy out Bobby Bonilla's remaining contract of $5.9 million.

That's nuts. Nowhere near the total Russ got, but more insane perhaps due to the length of the buyout.

Tomlin has the remarkable achievement of never having a losing season which also means the Steelers never have a draft position to pick a great QB.  Wilson is the wrong guy.  He'll help the Steelers win enough games to avoid a great draft slot, but not to win enough games or be good enough overall to win in the playoffs.  

Also this move will cause a QB controversy in Pittsburgh, never a good thing for team unity.

Since Denver is on the hook for all of Wilson's salary minus whatever he gets from his new team, it would have been great for some team with a clear #1 to sign Wilson to a backup contract.  But Wilson doesn't want to be a backup. If he signed in Pittsburgh he must feel pretty sure he can beat out Pickett.