Say the Bills DON’T restructure Josh Allen…

10 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think so too, but it’s a huge positive if they can find a way to get under the cap without it. 

What is the positive? The cap will go up in the future. Other expensive players like Miller,Knox, and Diggs will come off the books in the next couple of years. 

Very few other elite players to have to pay in the immediate future. 

Must make moves to win now!

Nobody that was released with the exception of Morse will be missed. And they have a viable plan to replace Morse. 

10 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

We all assumed it would be one of the first moves Beane would do, since it opened up so much Cap, but it’s looking rather unlikely now that we restructure Josh’s contract to open up 23-ish million. If the reports are true, Beane has is close to being under the cap.  

This is a pretty big deal, is it not? Unless I’m mistaken, paying Josh his big guarantees and not kicking the can down the road will, no pun intended, pay off huge dividends in years to come. 

I believe the team is already in positive cap space for next season, and they don’t have many big ticket expiring contracts (yet). 

If Beane keeps up this level of wizardry, Hogwarts will come knocking. 

Our 2 OTs will be FA next year. Our CB1 as well. 

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What is the positive? The cap will go up in the future. Other expensive players like Miller,Knox, and Diggs will come off the books in the next couple of years. 

Very few other elite players to have to pay in the immediate future. 

Must make moves to win now!

Nobody that was released with the exception of Morse will be missed. And they have a viable plan to replace Morse. 

I'm warming up to grabbing C in rd 1. Should be able to get the top 1

• Like (+1) 1

The team is not cap compliant yet, like 12M over and has a bunch of holes to fill on the DL and safety and WR and backup OL.   They need money for the draft class, practice squad and replacement guys due to injuries in season.  I don’t see them skipping the JA restructure but they can choose to do a full restructure or partial.   Also the bigger thing for them to avoid is restructuring. Diggs.  They need to give themselves a way out IMO if needed (not advocating for getting out).  So just not doing that is a win for this off-season IMO.  

Bottom line is beane did some good work but a lot of work still to go.  We saw conservative Beane last week.  This week is likely to be drunken sailer Beane.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH

9 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Use the restructure as a negotiation tactic

Allen will no doubt be helping recruit free agents, let him tell perspective free agents what he is about to do to make sure they have the best possible team

Can’t recruit top end talent for peanuts unless you’re in the position of KC; winning Superbowls or a guarantee that you’re at least making it. 

We are playoff bound but missing pieces for that to be the case.

They've made it and won it both with a stacked offense and question marks. We were pegged favorites and still came up short. 

12 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You are probably correct.  It is only a question of how much of the money he actually moves.

Would guess to have, with Tre’s offset, around $20m in room for FAs and picks.

11 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

We all assumed it would be one of the first moves Beane would do, since it opened up so much Cap, but it’s looking rather unlikely now that we restructure Josh’s contract to open up 23-ish million. If the reports are true, Beane has is close to being under the cap.  

This is a pretty big deal, is it not? Unless I’m mistaken, paying Josh his big guarantees and not kicking the can down the road will, no pun intended, pay off huge dividends in years to come. 

I believe the team is already in positive cap space for next season, and they don’t have many big ticket expiring contracts (yet). 

If Beane keeps up this level of wizardry, Hogwarts will come knocking. 

We have a lot of cap space next season. 

11 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I can't see a scenario where Beane doesn't do it.

It's a no brainer ImO.

One of these years he won’t, they’ll have to eat the guacamole. 

Yes, my phone switched ‘guarantee’ to ‘guacamole’ and I’m totally rolling with it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Whkfc said:

They don't have to do all of it. I think like a previous poster said we can take a wait and see approach and pull less. We are actually looking very good cap wise after this coming season this is our take out medicine season we are gonna develop hopefully a strong plentiful rookie class this year. At some point if we can go a season without doing an Allen restructure we will be stronger long term. Me personally I want to sell out every year until we get one push it as long as possible I don't care. But I'm running out of years I'm not young anymore and just wanna see one of my teams win 1 before I leave this planet. Stupid yeah maybe but I've never seen a team of mine win a championship. 

I hear you, but then I look at what the Chiefs did two years ago facing a similar situation (Mahomes' contract). They traded one of their best players (Tyreek) for picks that turned into McDuffie, Skye Moore, Rashee Rice, two other players, and a fifth-rounder this year, they took the full hit of Mahomes' salary ($36 million, 17% of the cap that year), and THEY WON THE SUPER BOWL, while setting themselves up for years to come. 

Meanwhile, the Bills went all-in, signing Von Miller to that 6-year, $114 million contract that is now an albatross around their necks, even with the restructuring. I'm not trashing Beane. I think Miller was a reasonable gamble. I would have preferred signing a younger DE, but whatever. 

The point is, the Bills might be able to absorb the full hit of Allen's contract and be competitive this year, even win it all. They have to stay healthy, and they need four starters not yet on the roster, at least at the moment: DT, DE, WR, and safety. 

I'm thinking sign Jones at DT (shouldn't be too expensive), trade up for an impact WR, sign a decent safety at a moderate contract (given the market), and, well, cross your fingers at DE. Maybe Miller can earn his pay. In the draft, add depth at DT, DE, safety, and corner. Voila, a competitive, relatively inexpensive team, with a healthy cap going forward. 

My one radical idea: Trade Milano (30 in July) for multiple picks. Start Williams and Bernard, draft a backup. Get younger and cheaper. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Our 2 OTs will be FA next year. Our CB1 as well. 

I'm warming up to grabbing C in rd 1. Should be able to get the top 1

Last year I would have agreed with you. I thought OT or C would be top priority.  Fast forward to now and I think Dawkins and Brown are fine at OT this year and we can get by at C with McGovern. 

The priority is WR and DL for this draft.

I think they will do something with Josh's contract,  but it won't be as drastic as everyone is looking for.

I do think the Milano option trading him and getting more picks and shedding his contract could help.  But he has a pretty high Dead Cap hit this year $29 mil.

and his salary cap hit this year is about $12.4 mil.

The mini rebuild that this team is in can work,  but we need to at least get talent on both sides of the ball in the draft to plug obvious holes

with rookie contracts.  That is the yellow brick road back to a positive cap for 2025.