Diggs - will he resurface as the Bills go to WR in 2024?

WR / Diggs / Draft  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is Stefon Diggs still a number 1 receiver?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is Diggs drop off in production during the back half of the season because:

• Defenses focused on him due to lack of WR depth on the Bills roster
    • He was injured
    • He has lost a step
    • His route running became very predictable
    • Other (please explain in your response)
  3. 3. If the Bills do not draft a WR in round #1 I will be:

• Very upset
    • Mildly Upset
    • Not upset because they should take BPA regardless of position
    • Not upset because other needs rank higher than WR
    • Not upset because WR draft pool is deep and they can get one later

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

No it would be our boy in the #14.

He’s had 1 game with 100+ yards since 2020 in the playoffs. 3 games under 60 yards. He hasn’t had a TD since the Baltimore game 4 years ago.

Guy stinks in the postseason. 

I don’t know how many others feel the same as me but one of my issues with him, other than being totally useless in the playoffs, is that his entire game is geared towards avoiding contact. This year teams got tired of that and just started picking him up and slamming him on his head. That might be where his injury occurred. Avoiding contact oftentimes resulted in him going down really awkwardly the last 2 seasons. I cringe every time someone is hanging off of him. I think he should either be fearless and dive for yards, or get down on the ground. I’m fine with either one.  No more just standing there with 3 guys hanging off of you and then getting powerbombed.

Other than that, he could probably be a good #2 next season or not.

Edited by Governor

I would like to see experimentation with Diggs in the slot at different points in the game. Use he and Kinkaid as funky chess pieces in the middle of the field. Pressure defenses further with our new speed on the outside Adonai Mitchell and Van Jefferson (my cheap FA pick).

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

Are you arguing that Diggs doesn’t disappear in the playoffs? Or just trying to be inane for no reason?

Are you arguing that the defense doesn’t disappear in the playoffs? Or just trying to be inane for no reason?

11 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

For the he lost a step crowd, typically when a player slows down athletically it’s gradual. Diggs’ decline was immediate (and by decline I mean a full season projection of the second half of his season was still 80+ catches for 800+ yards).

I feel this was more:

Offensive changes in-season: His production dipped as soon as Brady took over, so there may have been a change in philosophy.

Defensive adjustments: Davis, Knox, Sherfield, and Hardy scared no one in 2023, so could have the focus really settled on Diggs? The high volume of targets for Shakir may support this. 

Injury: He was never on the report, but to assume he had some kind of injury isn’t a stretch. Big Groot was rarely on the report and it was wildly believed and talked about how he had a significant foot injury. 

I think it’s in Diggs best interest if we started to spotlight him less, we need to stop having him be a 160 target WR if we want any kind of production from him in the very near future. 

I believe his usage and the coverage on him in the 2nd half led to frustration and bad attitude.  Note how often he was taking himself out.  With more emphasis on the running game, he’s not a willing blocker.  Remember that Gabe got a game ball with no receptions because of his blocking.

Having witnessed Lou Saban’s commitment to running OJ Simpson, a lot of the success was due to Bob Chandler and JD Hill willing to provide downfield blocking.  I don’t see that commitment by Diggs.

12 hours ago, stuvian said:

I hope we find a way to keep him. He still has the afterburners and makes big plays in big games. If we have a complimentary threat he is more or less unstoppable. The chemistry with he and Josh is real and would be hard to duplicate with new faces. I like having a player of his demeanour on the Bills. He's crazy to win

Hasn't he averaged like 30 yards and 0 TDs in three playoff games vs KC?

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, stuvian said:

I hope we find a way to keep him. He still has the afterburners and makes big plays in big games. If we have a complimentary threat he is more or less unstoppable. The chemistry with he and Josh is real and would be hard to duplicate with new faces. I like having a player of his demeanour on the Bills. He's crazy to win

The biggest game every year is the final game.  And in elimination games, he's not "crazy to win"....he's terrible, throughout his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs is still elite.

Josh missed him when wide open on deep shots several times late in the season including the Steelers playoff game.

Yes he had that horrible drop in the KC game.  I love Allen but his deep ball is inconsistent at best. 

You have to wonder if he caught that and scored a TD with the defender falling down, would there be any Diggs decline talk at all.

All that said, Bills need to draft at least one if not two WRs. Bills thought Davis was going to be elite after the KC playoff game and it just never happened.  

They must get younger and bigger at the WR spot. 

A great QB should be able to elevate average WRs, but an elite WR will also make life easier for Josh. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The biggest game every year is the final game.  And in elimination games, he's not "crazy to win"....he's terrible, throughout his career. 

the better DCs just double cover him and that takes him (or anyone) away.   pretty simple solution .  Jerry f ing Rice ain't beatin NFL double coverage more than 3-4 times a game.  is what it is.   Josh wisely goes elsewhere with the ball , Diggs' stats fall and idiot fans think he's washed up.  geez....

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Read the topic title and get back to me lmao. 

I know what the thread is about. You obviously have an axe to grind with Diggs so have at it. I'm not defending him, simply pointing out that McDermott's limp d*cked D is more responsible for their playoff failures than Diggs' lack of big games.

8 or more targets in 7/9 games he played under brady.  There was also a 2 week stretch where buffalo threw the ball a total of 36 times.    

Allens stats always tail off in the 2nd half of the year as well, as that is traditionally when the weather turns.  Our last 2 regular season home games allen completed 22/45 passes for 263 1 TD and 1 INT with 19 carries for 68 yards.  

In the cold and wind we ran the ball a bit more (as expected) and played more "complimentary" football.  Adding a 2nd tight end speaks a little to this philosophy as well - when it gets crappy out, we're built to more effectively counter that.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

I know what the thread is about. You obviously have an axe to grind with Diggs so have at it. I'm not defending him, simply pointing out that McDermott's limp d*cked D is more responsible for their playoff failures than Diggs' lack of big games.

I have an axe to grind… talking about Diggs in the Diggs topic. 

But you don’t have an axe to grind….talking about McD and the defense in the Diggs topic.

https://tenor.com/view/waka-flocka-okay-ok-yeah-right-gif-11603145

this is just sad. You don’t even disagree with me. Lmao. The defense has nothing to do with Diggs having 30 yards per game most postseasons 

He needs to be pushed as the featured #1 WR on this team.  The only way that happens is if you draft a stud WR in the draft or even maybe a two WR's.

Then you force him to fight to maintain that #1 WR designation.  Competition in training camp is what it's all about and if he can't beat the new guy out in preseason, then so be it.  We will have our new #1.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I have an axe to grind… talking about Diggs in the Diggs topic. 

But you don’t have an axe to grind….talking about McD and the defense in the Diggs topic.

https://tenor.com/view/waka-flocka-okay-ok-yeah-right-gif-11603145

this is just sad. You don’t even disagree with me. Lmao. The defense has nothing to do with Diggs having 30 yards per game most postseasons 

Nobody is stopping you from talking about Diggs. I made a comment upthread about the defense being a bigger liability than Diggs in the playoffs but you didn't want to hear it and keep engaging and throwing out words like inane and sad. You're entitled to your opinion about Diggs and you can do it without attacking a differing opinion. I did talk about Diggs in a Diggs thread. I said he wasn't the biggest reason for the team's failures in the playoffs. Move on.

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

Nobody is stopping you from talking about Diggs. I made a comment upthread about the defense being a bigger liability than Diggs in the playoffs but you didn't want to hear it and keep engaging and throwing out words like inane and sad. You're entitled to your opinion about Diggs and you can do it without attacking a differing opinion. I did talk about Diggs in a Diggs thread. I said he wasn't the biggest reason for the team's failures in the playoffs. Move on.

Thanks for the insight. 

He’s a playoff no-show. 

Edited by FireChans