Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

47 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It's all spelled out in the CBA. Everything fits into a category one way or another so there's nobody subjectively saying, well he'll probably get 2 sacks so we'll make LTBE. Generally (but certainly not always) if a player didn't get the stat the year before then its considered NLTBE. In this case, since he got zero sacks last year all sack incentives are NLTBE.

Actually, according to the rules spelled out in the CBA, those are all NLTBE incentives. Meaning, none of those incentives will count against the salary cap this year. And any of them that are reached will be charged against next year's cap. 

Under both contracts the Bills save cap space by cutting Von at camp. But now he costs the team far less cash out of pocket even if he plays lights out. If Von still looks stiff like last year he can still be cut to save the cap space/roll over. But keeping him on the roster becomes easier to swallow which is beneficial to all parties.  

I think part of this is Von betting on himself. But part of it is also to incentivize the team to keep him on the roster. 12 sacks at $27M is bad. 12 sacks at $15M is better. Even if the Bills move on next year (which I think is likely), hitting the market after over performing vs. underperforming makes a world of difference. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Well, yea, but I was replying to someone saying to restructure (or convert his salary to bonus) and not renegotiate (ie reduce his salary) 

even if von doesn’t return to form yesterdays deal is fine 

all incentives are either likely or unlikely to be earned for accounting purposes 

37 minutes ago, babulator said:

I'm no cap wizard and I've seen it covered different ways, but this sounds good.

image.thumb.png.1456801034786556e24aa2a7993d3d93.png

Let's withhold judgement until after FA.

38 minutes ago, Mango said:

Under both contracts the Bills save cap space by cutting Von at camp. But now he costs the team far less cash out of pocket even if he plays lights out. If Von still looks stiff like last year he can still be cut to save the cap space/roll over. But keeping him on the roster becomes easier to swallow which is beneficial to all parties.  

I think part of this is Von betting on himself. But part of it is also to incentivize the team to keep him on the roster. 12 sacks at $27M is bad. 12 sacks at $15M is better. Even if the Bills move on next year (which I think is likely), hitting the market after over performing vs. underperforming makes a world of difference. 

Thanks. I get all that. I was simply responding to the poster that wanted to know who gets to decide if the incentives are LTBE or NLTBE. The CBA clearly establishes which is which. There is no subjectivity to it as the poster suggested.

Edited by Tuco

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’ve gotten so used to these o rely inflated numbers but am I right in reading that his new incentive deal equates to more or less $1,000,000 per sack? I mean, really? 

That's technically true. But the alternative was to leave that $8+ million as salary. And if he still didn't produce he would have gotten the money even if he didn't get a single sack. Perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’ve gotten so used to these o rely inflated numbers but am I right in reading that his new incentive deal equates to more or less $1,000,000 per sack? I mean, really? 

If I had my way, I'd make almost every single contract incentive based. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

https://theathletic.com/5238669/2024/02/02/buffalo-bills-offseason-salary-cap/

According to my calculations (& spotrac), the Bills still needs to do about 30+ million is cap reduction to get roster complete.

I checked what Beane has done and compared it to the 15 point plan in the Athletic

1.  Restructure Josh's deal - Not yet announced.  Apprx 23 million in potential cap savings

2. Don't restructure Diggs' deal  (Cover 1 says re-structure the deal) - I agree with Cover1.  Potential $8 million in savings

3. Don't restructure Miller - The Bills worked with Miller on a pay reduction and saved over $8.5 million

4. Restructure White - The Bills are cutting him 6/1 saving $10 million

5. Restructure Douglas - Done

6. Restructure Knox - Not yet done.  Potential savings 5.86 million

7. Add void years to Morse - Nope, the Bills cut him instead.

8. Restructure McGovern - Done

9. Pay cut for Hines - Nope, released instead.

10. Restructure Milano - Not done yet

11. Restructure Bates - Nope, traded instead.

12. Restructure Poyer - Nope, released instead.

13. Pay cut for Harty - Nope, released instead.

14. Extend Taron Johnson - Not done yet

15. Extend Dawkins - Not Done yet

other - Cover1 suggested extending Oliver and the Bills also cut Neal

Looking at this list, there is a ton of moves still available to Beane to get some cash to spend on FAs.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tuco said:

That's technically true. But the alternative was to leave that $8+ million as salary. And if he still didn't produce he would have gotten the money even if he didn't get a single sack. Perspective.

Not saying the new deal isn’t better than the old one….but come on! $1M per sack…..sheesh 

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not saying the new deal isn’t better than the old one….but come on! $1M per sack…..sheesh 

If it’s a sack of Mahomes in say, the 2024 season AFCCG to close out the game and pave the road to the Super Bowl, I’ll gladly have Terry fork over a couple mill while we’re at it! 

I just saw that NFL Good morning football had to do the obligatory "has the Bills window closed" Bull ****.  It wasn't until a couple years ago I heard everyone saying "run it back" and "Windows closing" BS. 

As long as we have Josh Allen we have a chance at anything. There are no windows etc. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

People need to understand that Von needed to have some motive to agree to this.  This incentive allows him to earn more than his previous contract and also gives the Bills a whole lot of CAP savings this year.  If he gets all those sacks, we're on the hook next year and, frankly, Von is likely still on the team.

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

It definitely sounds good,  but take into account FA signings,  Rousseau needs a new deal,  Brown needs one,  I'm probably missing someone,  but it's still a good place to be considering the past few seasons. 

Having the money available to re-sign your own players is very good.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

https://theathletic.com/5238669/2024/02/02/buffalo-bills-offseason-salary-cap/

According to my calculations (& spotrac), the Bills still needs to do about 30+ million is cap reduction to get roster complete.

I checked what Beane and has and compared it to the 15 point plan in the Athletic

1.  Restructure Josh's deal - Not yet announced.  Apprx 23 million in potential cap savings

2. Don't restructure Diggs' deal  (Cover 1 says re-structure the deal) - I agree with Cover1.  Potential $8 million in savings

3. Don't restructure Miller - The Bills worked with Miller on a pay reduction and saved over $8.5 million

4. Restructure White - The Bills are cutting him 6/1 saving $10 million

5. Restructure Douglas - Done

6. Restructure Knox - Not yet done.  Potential savings 5.86 million

7. Add void years to Morse - Nope, the Bills cut him instead.

8. Restructure McGovern - Done

9. Pay cut for Hines - Nope, released instead.

10. Restructure Milano - Not done yet

11. Restructure Bates - Nope, traded instead.

12. Restructure Poyer - Nope, released instead.

13. Pay cut for Harty - Nope, released instead.

14. Extend Taron Johnson - Not done yet

15. Extend Dawkins - Not Done yet

other - Cover1 suggested extending Oliver and the Bills also cut Neal

Looking at this list, there is a ton of moves still available to Beane to get some cash to spend on FAs.

Do NOT touch Diggs deal. It gives us an out for next year in the form of a trade if need be. Right now he is nothing more than a high end #2, maybe if we hit in the draft that changes, maybe not. Either way do NOT extend this guy or kick his cap hit further down the road. We dont' need to. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Do NOT touch Diggs deal. It gives us an out for next year in the form of a trade if need be. Right now he is nothing more than a high end #2, maybe if we hit in the draft that changes, maybe not. Either way do NOT extend this guy or kick his cap hit further down the road. We dont' need to. 

Diggs' deal doesn't really give us an out in 2025.  His cap hit will be 27.3.  I agree this is excessive for any receiver, much less a potentially declining veteran. 

However:

1)  We are already on the positive side of the ledger for next season (about 30 million) and therefore some have room to work.

2) His dead cap hit will still be 22.2 million.  The cap savings is only 5 million.  I doubt Beane wants to basically have an approx 9% of the cap dead before he makes other decisions.  I also doubt you get a quality receiver to replace Diggs' production for $5 million.

3) A June 1 designation would save 18.5 million, but would push 18.5 to 2026 and I don't think Beane will want to that either with only 11 players current under contract for 2026.

4) What happens if he excels under Brady's new system with another 90 catch 1000 yard season.  How do you replace that output?

2026 makes much for sense

1) His cap number grows to 28.5

2) His dead cap would only be 13.4 (and 15 in 2027). Cap Savings 15.1

3) June 1 - 8.8 with 19.5 in 2027

If you move say 8 million of his 18.5 base to a bonus, you can save 6 this season, while only adding 2 to 2025 and 4 to 2026 assuming he is cut after the 2025 season.

Edited by GASabresIUFan