Ryan Bates traded

IBTG81

I would guess that Beane, McDermott, and Kromer didn't want to trade Bates. But getting cap-compliant is going to be full of unwanted moves. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Bigvinny said:

Greg Cover 1 

@GregTompsett

Random side note. Since Bates was a UDFA, if we had simply not matched Chicago’s original offer and let him go, BUF would have gotten no draft compensation. Instead they got 1 year of starting play, 1 year of backup depth and a 5th round pick

That’s all true, but I’d counter that his level of play as a starter was below average and the above came at a cost of $9M in cash and cap space. Not the end of the world or anything, but no one should be thinking this was a W for the Bills. Especially when they could’ve kept him in 2022 for less with a higher tender. 

Edited by BarleyNY

I do NOT like this move. A 5th round pick for a very solid OL player who can play tackle to center. I guess Beane wants to have no depth anymore...

• Dislike 1

I actually disagree with the sentiment we won’t use the vast majority of these picks. I think we’ll make an early trade to get a guy of need but this team desperately needs to get young and quick. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

I do NOT like this move. A 5th round pick for a very solid OL player who can play tackle to center. I guess Beane wants to have no depth anymore...

If I understand our Cap position he really has no choice. He pretty much has to unload any and all redundancy (depth) that he’s got. And if he can get a draft pick in return, then that’s better than just releasing guys for nothing. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

If I understand our Cap position he really has no choice. He pretty much has to unload any and all redundancy (depth) that he’s got. And if he can get a draft pick in return, then that’s better than just releasing guys for nothing. 

Maybe so but the cap problem was of Beane's own making. Can we cut Beane instead?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Maybe so but the cap problem was of Beane's own making. Can we cut Beane instead?

What’s your solution? Not sign players to make the team competitive?

It’s cyclical, man. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Remember when we traded  Wyatt for a late pick? How did that turn out?

Not saying Bates is the next Wyatt but man it’s rough to see decent oline guys go

Remember when we drafted Matt Milano in the 5th round? How did that turn out? 

Not saying whoever we draft with this pick is the next Milano, but man it’s good to acquire draft picks for backup players.

2 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

That’s true but he doesn’t count against the Cap. So far I see very little drama or controversy here. It’s inevitable! 

Pretty safe to say Chicago is only team in NFL who would’ve given up a 5th rounder for Bates.  There’s seriously people upset about trading a guy making $4m per year who got demoted to 35 snaps last year? Maybe Beane can get pick #9 from the Bears for Diggs.  

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s true but he doesn’t count against the Cap. So far I see very little drama or controversy here. It’s inevitable! 

All to save a pitance? 1.4 mil? Garbage move.... 

3 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

And you would make what move instead? There’s a great thread that shows the overall roster laid out with the players all listed in groups (starters, reserves, under contract, etc). Go take a look at that one. As both you and I have said, Beane has tied his own hands. There will be two overarching themes to Off Season 2024: (1) a lot of turnover of non-starters and (2) some creative wizardry of contract negotiations with the starters that remain. 

9 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Let it play out. 

Moving on from him now saves $5.4M against the 2025 cap next year. Which means that Beane now has a tad more flexibility to sign an impactful player and add a void year with no net loss to dead cap next season. 

That could be the difference between signing a Leonard Floyd type player as opposed to a low level EDGE. 

• Like (+1) 2