Anyone like me wanting Beane to hurry up? (Cap)

2 minutes ago, Westside said:

What my disagreement with the Von signing is he was on the wrong end of thirty and drastically overpaid for him after drafting basham, epenesa and roussou (sp) who have all under performed for being high draft picks.

Yeah it was definitely a big gamble I totally agree with you on that.  I’m sure he wishes he had that one back 

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MJS said:

It's the offseason. Kick up your feet and relax.

To the OP, it’s a pipe dreams to think aere goi g to do ably t anything substantial in FA.  The draft is how we’ll infuse cheap talent.  We have the worst cap situation in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

4 hours ago, Westside said:

He’s the one who got us into this mess. Bad signings and mediocre draft picks.

Mess?  You do recognize we’ve consistently finished the last bunch of years winning the AFCE and making sb runs, correct?   

such a mess we’re in. Lmao.  Are we supposed to do all of the above and still have loads of cap space? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Mess?  You do recognize we’ve consistently finished the last bunch of years winning the AFCE and making sb runs, correct?   

such a mess we’re in. Lmao.  Are we supposed to do all of the above and still have loads of cap space? 

Clearly you and I have a very different interpretation of what that looks like.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Blackbeard said:

I’m talking cap situation becoming a problem consistently with the bad contracts and poor drafting. I like Beane but I think he needs to do better.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Westside said:

I’m talking cap situation becoming a problem consistently with the bad contracts and poor drafting. I like Beane but I think he needs to do better.

It's really just this year. Next year we have around 28 million in cap space, with the ability to get out from Von, Tre and Knox's contracts. Unless they do something with them this year.

Edited by BillsFan2313

27 minutes ago, Westside said:

Still waiting for someone to prove this is true?

They have 2+ starters coming out of every draft and various role players lol

They couldn't be where they are if they were drafting poorly - not finding superstars in the 2nd half of RD1 isn't poor drafting either. 

White/Dawkins/Milano

Allen/Johnson + Edmunds, Phillips, Neal

Oliver/Knox + Singletary

Davis/Bass/Jackson + Epenesa

Rousseau/Brown 

Cook/Bernard/Shakir/Benford + Spector

Kincaid/Torrence

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Still waiting for someone to prove this is true?

They have 2+ starters coming out of every draft and various role players lol

They couldn't be where they are if they were drafting poorly - not finding superstars in the 2nd half of RD1 isn't poor drafting either. 

White/Dawkins/Milano

Allen/Johnson + Edmunds, Phillips, Neal

Oliver/Knox + Singletary

Davis/Bass/Jackson + Epenesa

Rousseau/Brown 

Cook/Bernard/Shakir/Benford + Spector

Kincaid/Torrence

There's a lot of projection in that list. Allen definitely a stud. Tre was a stud but due to injury (not Beanes fault) he hasn't lived up to his contract. I'd put Oliver in the next level down, still hasn't played afull season up to his potental. Then we have Cook, Dawkins as solid starters. The rest in my opinion (which means absolutly nothing lol) are meh. I really like Benford and Bernard, I just want to see if they will continue to get better or was last year a fluke. How can I forget Milano, absolute stud along with Allen. I see at least five who are not on the team anymore or will not be on next years team. I think the Bills are pretty solid in picking up talent in the later rounds, but some of the first and second round choices are a little iffy for the spot they were drafted.

Thanks for the break down. It really changed the way I thought about the picks they've chosen. you opened my eyes! Thank you for a well rounded response.

I’d like to see things happen faster as well, but it will get done because it has too.  

People keep mentioning Beane’s poor drafting, because Rousseau and a few others haven’t reached star status.  I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. Beane has done a solid job drafting especially lately.  This past season we have 6 starters, all good, from the last two draft classes alone.  Benford is a solid NFL starting CB from the 6th round. Shakir is a 5th pick.  Kincaid is on his way to stardom and maybe Benard as well.  His first class in 2018 features 7 guys still in the NFL including pro-bowlers/All Pros Allen, Edmunds, Taron Johnson (4th rd) and Wyatt (5th rd). Phillips is now a solid starter for the Vikings.  

When I look at the draft, I think a GM needs to find potential starters or major contributors in the first 3 rounds.  Finding contributors or even starters after that is gravy.  The only true busts are Basham and Ford with the jury being out on Elam.  Truthfully his biggest mistake was letting Teller get away.  

For the Rousseau bashers, did you know he played his off side this entire season because of Miller and still graded out as one of best players each week?  

19 hours ago, mrags said:

I imagine it’s all going to happen almost at once. Like bang bang bang. For 3-4 straight days you will see updates of cuts, restructures, extensions. It will likely all happen before the tampering period starts but if I were a betting man, I’d bet against them going after any player in the first few days of free agency. My bet is they wait it out and look to not overpay for the high price, higher profile players. JMO

Operating this way now when we are good is fine. But man, during the drought, this never made sense to me. Like, we always had the money, we sucked year after year and with the exception of going all out for Mario and McCoy, we always went after the "after dust settles" guys and it drove me insane 

7 hours ago, Westside said:

He’s the one who got us into this mess. Bad signings and mediocre draft picks.

I kind of took a step back from that hot take, lol. I was pointed out by another poster that the picks weren’t as bad as I first thought. The cap situation is squarely on Beane though. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Operating this way now when we are good is fine. But man, during the drought, this never made sense to me. Like, we always had the money, we sucked year after year and with the exception of going all out for Mario and McCoy, we always went after the "after dust settles" guys and it drove me insane 

They let the core drafted players leave.  They never paid big guaranteed money besides Williams.  The best players at premier positions they let walk.   Its was a constant Draft replacing those starters that left. For every guy they extended 2 walked.  

5 minutes ago, Westside said:

I kind of took a step back from that hot take, lol. I was pointed out by another poster that the picks weren’t as bad as I first thought. The cap situation is squarely on Beane though. 

The biggest hindsight misstep was Von.  Before the injury he was having a great year.  I want Beane to make those big swings.  We are paying for it now but that comes with it.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

They let the core drafted players leave.  They never paid big guaranteed money besides Williams.  The best players at premier positions they let walk.   Its was a constant Draft replacing those starters that left. For every guy they extended 2 walked.  

Yeah, that was also a big part of it. We never wanted to pay out big contracts to guys that deserved it. But during those years, it was so frustrating to sit back and watch big FAs get signed and then we were looking to spend less on dust settle guys that wouldn't have made our team any better than it already was.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

The legal tampering period starts the 11th and FA the 13th so he has a little time. And I know he said he plans on being under the cap by the end of next week.

But I have Football ADHD dang it!  Make some moves so we know what's what!! 🤣

I am very interested in the roster decisions the Bills have in front of them. Obvious, simple restructures are going to happen for some players like Allen. No suspense there. But they’ve got a lot of decisions to be made on players. That’s the interesting stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am not looking forward to it because I think he will do some things to kick the can down the road further.  I want a cap reset of sorts.  

I hope not. Time to let guys go and let the kids play. Faster, cheaper. KC did it and won. We can ttoo.we need a solid draft.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

I hope not. Time to let guys go and let the kids play. Faster, cheaper. KC did it and won. We can ttoo.we need a solid draft.

Exactly.   You don’t need vets everywhere. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I’m not saying it’s the ideal way to do business. I’m saying it’s likely what we’re going to do this year. We are over the cap at this point and I believe we’ll be under enough at the time to make some signings, I don’t expect them to go big. Also, like you said, we are good now. We have Allen now. We have Diggs now. We can afford to take some more average players and hope this coaching staff can get their best out of them. It drove me insane too when it used to happen. Not right now we need a real infusion of young talent and that needs to come from the draft and FAs that were recently released or never caught on with teams but have some real upside and could be something in a new place. Picking up Hamler at WR is exactly the type of move im speaking of. It will be more moves like this imo. 

52 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m not saying it’s the ideal way to do business. I’m saying it’s likely what we’re going to do this year. We are over the cap at this point and I believe we’ll be under enough at the time to make some signings, I don’t expect them to go big. Also, like you said, we are good now. We have Allen now. We have Diggs now. We can afford to take some more average players and hope this coaching staff can get their best out of them. It drove me insane too when it used to happen. Not right now we need a real infusion of young talent and that needs to come from the draft and FAs that were recently released or never caught on with teams but have some real upside and could be something in a new place. Picking up Hamler at WR is exactly the type of move im speaking of. It will be more moves like this imo. 

I agree with this. It was moreso a complaint about how some of the prior Bills GMs would preach the "build through the draft and sign our own" which I agree with but you would have thought when the playoff drought reached 10 years they would have said "ok, let's make some splashes while building through the draft" they just always seemed to want to cheap out and get average players to mix with bad draft picks and it was a never ending cycle until Beane, thankfully