McDermott says a Lombardi is "not a matter of if, just a matter of when"

Ray Stonada

4 hours ago, eball said:

First of all, you're nuts to believe anything coming out of Li'l Dirty's mouth.

Second, what if it wasn't McD's play calls and the players simply didn't execute?  Would we "have so much respect for him" if he blamed Levi Wallace for blowing the coverage or blamed the ST coach for not communicating the call correctly on the kickoff?

He has taken as much accountability for that game as anyone ever should.  People still act as though it was a miracle even though we've seen teams get into position to kick a long FG like that before and since.

Leslie Frazier's defense folded like a lawn chair in crunch time.

McD is rightfully proud of what they've accomplished over seven years, but is obviously not satisfied.  I really don't know what the hell anyone wants him to say.

It's very clear that they want him to say, "I'm a terrible head coach and I'm resigning." 

If he said, "I take total responsibility for the 13 seconds loss," they would not be satisfied, of course, unless the next sentence is "I'm a terrible head coach and I'm resigning." 

That's the only thing he could say that would satisfy them. And they'd still be cursing him as he walked out the door. 

Edited by Dr. K

27 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Shaw....how many of these wins are attributed to Josh or Sean?  We win because we have the best qb in Bills history.  Not because we have an elite HC. 

And Tyrod Taylor is elite, too?  

When did Josh start coaching that top-10 defense?

Yeah, I knew when this got posted it would just be a bunch of snarky McDermott posts.

Personally, I like it.

He's always so close to the vest and careful. "One step at a time, one game at a time". "Playoff Caliber" during the season and "Championship Caliber" only after we make the postseason.

To hear him say something like "it's not a matter of if we win the Super Bowl, but WHEN" - that's an uncharacteristic, galvanizing statement to make to the team.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

McDermott owns the past lives with it, and works to get better.  

McD doesn't 'own' the past and that's the problem. He doesn't own up to anything....ever

He makes mistakes that he never 'owns'....in fact he makes sure to deflect blame onto someone else.

That's a terrible trait for a leader 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Should have at least 1 by now… Shame. 

I think they may all want to be beloved like Scott Norwood. We need that sports psychologist from Ted Lasso to fix this. You know, the sneaky ninja shrink who changes seats without ever moving. That is the kind of Mojo this team needs! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

McD doesn't 'own' the past and that's the problem. He doesn't own up to anything....ever

He makes mistakes that he never 'owns'....in fact he makes sure to deflect blame onto someone else.

I have not been an uncritical supporter of McDermott, but I don't see him as a hypocrite who never takes responsibility. If that were true, he would not command the evident respect that he does among the players. When that fella with an axe to grind (Dunne) posted his poison pen article, the team rallied around him. That should tell you something -- though obviously, many have already concluded otherwise. To each his own. I disagree with your judgment.

• Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

If he said, "I take total responsibility for the 13 seconds loss," they would not be satisfied

I can’t speak for others, but him saying that would give me an entirely new level of respect for him.

But not just a generic coach-speak version where the guy says “it all falls on me” … “i take the blame” … yada yada.

But a genuine “I made some serious mistakes tonight. They shouldn’t have happened and they can’t happen ever again. I know that a couple different coaching decisions and we would be hosting the AFC Championship game next week. Part of this off-season will be spent making sure these mistakes never reoccur”. If he said that after 13 Seconds, my respond for him would have skyrocketed. It would have made a world of difference in my eyes and I think many others as well.

Instead we got coach speak and some of the same mistakes happening again.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Josh should not be immune to criticism. Watch the replay.

I did Dawkins needed to hold his block a second longer he didn’t 

26 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And Tyrod Taylor is elite, too?  

When did Josh start coaching that top-10 defense?

You spend the second most money in football and the most  in the league on the secondary they better be elite 

4 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I did Dawkins needed to hold his block a second longer he didn’t 

We are seconds and/or inches away. No game, or even play, is on one guy. 

It will be our turn. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

He owns the history to the only audience that matters - his team.   His players are completely behind him - we heard it repeatedly after Hamlin's problem.  

He doesn't have to own to the fans.   He has no obligation to say anything to the fans.  

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think they may all want to be beloved like Scott Norwood. We need that sports psychologist from Ted Lasso to fix this. You know, the sneaky ninja shrink who changes seats without ever moving. That is the kind of Mojo this team needs! 

A Sharon would be great, unless she ups and leaves without letting anyone know prior… Guess the letter would be a consolation 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't tell people they're wrong because they don't believe in McDermott's mindset.   I tell them they're wrong because if you have a coach who's won as much as McDermott has won, he is more likely to win a Super Bowl than almost any available head coach.  It's very hard to win a lot of games in the NFL, and McDermott has made it look easy.  The other available coaches either are coordinators who have never been head coaches or are guys who have been head coaches and who haven't been able to win as much as McDermott has.  As some have put it, he's closer to winning it all than any other guy the Bills could hire.   He is like Shanahan.  I think the smart bet is to bet the guy who's already having a lot of success compared to everyone else trying to do the same thing. 

I get that people say the Bills need an offensive minded head coach.   I don't agree the focus needs to be on the offense, but I get that argument.  But even so, the guy has to be able to do the whole job, and there are very few coaches in the league who are doing the whole job better than McDermott.  

And I get that some people think he's the next Schottenheimer.   As I've said before, Reid was the next Schottenheimer before he became Reid.   Pete Carroll had failed twice as an NFL head coach before he was as old as McDermott is today.  People change, they grow, they develop, especially people who model their behavior based on a growth mindset.   I think McDermott has a much better chance of being the next Reid than the next Schottenheimer.   

You’re talking to people who don’t know what a growth mindset is. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

If he said, "I take total responsibility for the 13  seconds loss," they would not be satisfied, of course, unless the next sentence is "I'm a terrible head coach and I'm resigning." 

McD taking responsibility for anything ......  ever, would be a start. Until he does that, we'll never know what 'they' would say if he did. 

You would rather have a coach that accepts no responsibility and blames others, while you project what 'they' would say if he ever did accept any blame?

I don't think expecting an explanation after one of the worst collapses in NFL history is unreasonable. I do think that McDs pattern of avoiding it while blaming others is a terrible quality for a head coach.

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He owns the history to the only audience that matters - his team.   His players are completely behind him - we heard it repeatedly after Hamlin's problem.  

He doesn't have to own to the fans.   He has no obligation to say anything to the fans.  

Then why doesn't he just have 'no comment' and keep his mouth shut instead of deflecting blame onto others?

• Thank you (+1) 1