McDermott says a Lombardi is "not a matter of if, just a matter of when"

Ray Stonada

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This will turn into a McD bash thread, but I have no issues with his answers. Felt like something other than coach talk. 

That’s like predicting the sun will come up at this point.  Love what he said.  There’s going to be a lot of crow eating on this board when we do win one with him.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeh he was open cause Allen made the safety bite sucks that he can’t play offensive tackle and prevent Chris jones from bumping into his throwing lane. 
But hey that’s the life of Josh Allen get blame for what everybody else does. 

Josh should not be immune to criticism. Watch the replay.

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Stop giving Allen weapons chosen so low in the draft. Get him another Quality WR or two.  Then hit on draft picks for the DL instead of drafting guys that turn out to be JAGs.  That is what's left you can do.

They just drafted a pass catching TE in round one last year and then turned around and got the best guard in the draft in round 2. Lots of criticism of McD to go around but they did course correct a lot in the 2023 off season in terms of draft investment on offense 

46 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I do jump to his defense, because I like to think that I've grown to understand a lot about how he thinks and how he approaches his job.   And I think his approach has been largely right. 

I don't criticize like some people here do, because I know I don't understand the nuanced details of offensive and defensive football strategy.   I'll see things that I'll question and write about, but I don't presume to understand.   For example, I've said here often over the past couple of years that I question whether McDermott's effort to load the roster with swiss army knives really is the best approach.   In the thread about Groot, I said that he's one of those guys who is very good in all the categories, and Oliver too, but that sooner or later you just need a flatout playmaker - a Chris Jones.  

But, yeah, in general, I plead guilty.   I write about the current Bills head coach in a positive fashion.   Hell, I was on the Jauron train for a lot longer that most.  Gailey, I backed him.   Even Rex a bit.  That's what I do. 

Okay that’s it! Nobody gets to defend Rex Ryan! That’s a bridge too far. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

After Hill took it to the house on the last drive they played off coverage.  Screen to Hill and skinny post to Kelce took perfect advantage of the coverage.  What answer do players expect?  We are trying to bring in more athletic Dbs that can press to avoid those situations in the future? 

Sounds like you just described terrible coaching

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Okay that’s it! Nobody gets to defend Rex Ryan! That’s a bridge too far. 😂

Hah, I try not to say bad things about Rex, so in those years it was hard to say much at all.   It's a measure of how desperate ESPN is that they hired him as analyst.  He rarely has anything useful to say. 

28 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

Josh should not be immune to criticism. Watch the replay.

I'm pretty sure that Josh in fact said post-game that he needs to be better at sliding in the pocket.  That is, if he'd perceived in real time what actually was happening, he would have moved to get himself to a better place to make the throw.   And in fact, that's how these guys think - is there anything I could do better, anything, and how do I learn it?   I thought it was great self-awareness.  And, in the process, he didn't throw his lineman to the wolves.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I do jump to his defense, because I like to think that I've grown to understand a lot about how he thinks and how he approaches his job.   And I think his approach has been largely right. 

I don't criticize like some people here do, because I know I don't understand the nuanced details of offensive and defensive football strategy.   I'll see things that I'll question and write about, but I don't presume to understand.   For example, I've said here often over the past couple of years that I question whether McDermott's effort to load the roster with swiss army knives really is the best approach.   In the thread about Groot, I said that he's one of those guys who is very good in all the categories, and Oliver too, but that sooner or later you just need a flatout playmaker - a Chris Jones.  

But, yeah, in general, I plead guilty.   I write about the current Bills head coach in a positive fashion.   Hell, I was on the Jauron train for a lot longer that most.  Gailey, I backed him.   Even Rex a bit.  That's what I do. 

That's fine if that's the mindset YOU want to have, but telling others OUR mindset (or mine specifically quoted) mindset is wrong because we see it differently than you is well, just wrong.  It's not just 1 or two of us.  I always thought you had a more level mindset, but its certainly now on the side of defending a coach that has proved nothing beyond the fact he can just make it to the playoffs before being trounced every single year and at the end of the day, underachieving with the best QB the team has ever had on the roster.  0 SB appearances, 1 AFCCG blowout.  Im not sure he could win it with Jesus himself out there at this point.  Just a reminder, Josh Allen is not Benjamin Button.

• Like (+1) 2

I mean... Oof. 

Not a smart thing to say.

McDermott really comes across having this "I can do little wrong" ego that has always rubbed me the wrong way.  The guy preaches execution but his coaching on game day is always suspect. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That’s like predicting the sun will come up at this point.  Love what he said.  There’s going to be a lot of crow eating on this board when we do win one with him.

A Crows lifespan is only 7-8 years, let's be thankful that they keep having babies because some of us have been waiting to eat that Crow well over 5 Crow generations.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

That's fine if that's the mindset YOU want to have, but telling others OUR mindset (or mine specifically quoted) mindset is wrong because we see it differently than you is well, just wrong.  It's not just 1 or two of us.  I always thought you had a more level mindset, but its certainly now on the side of defending a coach that has proved nothing beyond the fact he can just make it to the playoffs before being trounced every single year and at the end of the day, underachieving with the best QB the team has ever had on the roster.  0 SB appearances, 1 AFCCG blowout.  Im not sure he could win it with Jesus himself out there at this point.  Just a reminder, Josh Allen is not Benjamin Button.

I don't tell people they're wrong because they don't believe in McDermott's mindset.   I tell them they're wrong because if you have a coach who's won as much as McDermott has won, he is more likely to win a Super Bowl than almost any available head coach.  It's very hard to win a lot of games in the NFL, and McDermott has made it look easy.  The other available coaches either are coordinators who have never been head coaches or are guys who have been head coaches and who haven't been able to win as much as McDermott has.  As some have put it, he's closer to winning it all than any other guy the Bills could hire.   He is like Shanahan.  I think the smart bet is to bet the guy who's already having a lot of success compared to everyone else trying to do the same thing. 

I get that people say the Bills need an offensive minded head coach.   I don't agree the focus needs to be on the offense, but I get that argument.  But even so, the guy has to be able to do the whole job, and there are very few coaches in the league who are doing the whole job better than McDermott.  

And I get that some people think he's the next Schottenheimer.   As I've said before, Reid was the next Schottenheimer before he became Reid.   Pete Carroll had failed twice as an NFL head coach before he was as old as McDermott is today.  People change, they grow, they develop, especially people who model their behavior based on a growth mindset.   I think McDermott has a much better chance of being the next Reid than the next Schottenheimer.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen has had weapons. Let’s not act like he hasn’t. The offense has been one of the best.

People act like they are one of the worst.

They have a hole at WR. They will fill it with a talented WR. 

Blah, blah, blah same old whine!

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't tell people they're wrong because they don't believe in McDermott's mindset.   I tell them they're wrong because if you have a coach who's won as much as McDermott has won, he is more likely to win a Super Bowl than almost any available head coach.  It's very hard to win a lot of games in the NFL, and McDermott has made it look easy.  The other available coaches either are coordinators who have never been head coaches or are guys who have been head coaches and who haven't been able to win as much as McDermott has.  As some have put it, he's closer to winning it all than any other guy the Bills could hire.   He is like Shanahan.  I think the smart bet is to bet the guy who's already having a lot of success compared to everyone else trying to do the same thing. 

I get that people say the Bills need an offensive minded head coach.   I don't agree the focus needs to be on the offense, but I get that argument.  But even so, the guy has to be able to do the whole job, and there are very few coaches in the league who are doing the whole job better than McDermott.  

And I get that some people think he's the next Schottenheimer.   As I've said before, Reid was the next Schottenheimer before he became Reid.   Pete Carroll had failed twice as an NFL head coach before he was as old as McDermott is today.  People change, they grow, they develop, especially people who model their behavior based on a growth mindset.   I think McDermott has a much better chance of being the next Reid than the next Schottenheimer.   

Another great post with wisdom!

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm pretty sure that Josh in fact said post-game that he needs to be better at sliding in the pocket.  That is, if he'd perceived in real time what actually was happening, he would have moved to get himself to a better place to make the throw.   And in fact, that's how these guys think - is there anything I could do better, anything, and how do I learn it?   I thought it was great self-awareness.  And, in the process, he didn't throw his lineman to the wolves.  

The issue with criticisms is it’s never Allen. He’s self aware and knows he needs to be better. It’s the fans, and particularly fans on this board. They act like he IS above being criticized. 

35 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

The issue with criticisms is it’s never Allen. He’s self aware and knows he needs to be better. It’s the fans, and particularly fans on this board. They act like he IS above being criticized. 

Yeah, I know.  I've said a variety of things about Josh for the past couple of years, things I think he needs to be better at.  Those comments always draw immediate reactions, suggesting I'm some kind of traitor.   And it's kind of funny that my comments about McDermott being the best choice for head coach draw reactions suggesting I'm an idiot.  Just the nature of people discussing stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

Yes it could. Losing in the divisional year after year comes to mind.

The endless ranking on McDermott, in which the same people say the same things over and over again, and nobody raging that he should be fired has said anything new since the 13 seconds game--or at least in the last year--makes me never want to come back here again.

The few who want to talk about other things relevant to the Bills and not ride their hobby horses to death keep me coming back here to check in now and then.

And the repetitive anti-McDermott whining drives me away again. You can't begin reading any thread without eventually running into the necessary quota of bitter complaint that McDermott will never win a title/is a fool/is arrogant/is lazy/is too conservative/has lost the locker room/is surrounded by his yes-men, yada yada yada. 

Maybe he should be fired. I don't know. My instinct and life experience tell me that the world is not fair, that time and chance happen to us all, that the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry, that even brilliant people make mistakes, that leadership takes many forms, and that finding success is not as simple as these people insist. But apparently there are a lot of Bills fans who have never been wrong in their entire lives. 

Edited by Dr. K

8 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

Until I hear him say out loud "13 seconds was my fault, I got tight and made a mistake" I will never believe anything that comes out of his mouth. 

Yeah it bothers me that he avoided taking responsibility publicly for that collapse, while he watches Josh stand before the media each week taking responsibility for his poor play, often knowing it was teammates or coaching that were the real culprits.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Shaw....how many of these wins are attributed to Josh or Sean?  We win because we have the best qb in Bills history.  Not because we have an elite HC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1