Are we looking at it all wrong, esp. With Josh Allen?

Great insight. We're cheating ourselves of a lot of fun and pleasure by being perennially disappointed the Bills didn't go all the way and by dwelling on the low points of the year. This quarterback we have may be the best the franchise has ever had and ever WILL have, even in the lifetimes of the younger fans among us. I've been watching the Bills since 1973, and only Kelly is in the neighborhood of Josh Allen. That's 50 years, folks.

If we need a model of how to approach the game, we have one in Allen himself. He's positive, cheerful, fiercely competitive, and never blames others. He feels losses keenly but bounces right back. 

I'm already looking forward to next year!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This has been on my mind a lot since my grandson forced me to watch the "Pro Bowl" competitions. My wife was there and said "Payton Manning is my favorite QB of all time, next to Jim Kelly" and I can dig that, I LOVED watching Manning play.  But it got me to realize how much I miss watching him play.  Along with guys like Kelly, Elway, Marino, Moon, Young, Montana, etc.  

Many of us have been a Bills fan for a long time and we desperately want a Superbowl win, but are we cheating ourselves when it comes to Josh?  I say this because I sat back and thought about how much I missed watching those guys play and it hit me, Josh just finished year 6, how many more do we have him?  6-8 More years is my guess so he might be halfway through his career already, and all we can do is talk Superbowl.  

Maybe we are missing it?  We have THE best QB (A pure generational QB) in the NFL and I think we want a Super bowl for us and him, so bad that we aren't just sitting back and enjoying watching him play, enjoying what we have.  I plan on trying to just sit back each game and enjoy with my grandson watching Josh just sling the damn ball around the field, and hopefully, we get a title in the process.

I bitched when Kelly through an untimely INT or when we couldn't get something going. BUT in no way do I look back at that era and say to myself " I should of enjoyed it more". In fact its quite the opposite. 

Same for Josh. I bitched when he plays hero ball and throws an INT, or when he refuses to take the underneath stuff that is clearly there, but I also know Josh is the best QB to ever put on a BIlls uniform and none of that is lost on me. 

Hopever without a SB win its just another Buffalo Blown opportunity, and that is something I will continue to bit ch about. Even if we do get to the SB and win it, if we look like chit anytime after that I'm still gonna b it ch, because the only goal is to win championships.

I AIN'T MISSING CHIT, I'm emotionally smack dab in the middle of it

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I bitched when Kelly through an untimely INT or when we couldn't get something going. BUT in no way do I look back at that era and say to myself " I should of enjoyed it more". In fact its quite the opposite. 

Same for Josh. I bitched when he plays hero ball and throws an INT, or when he refuses to take the underneath stuff that is clearly there, but I also know Josh is the best QB to ever put on a BIlls uniform and none of that is lost on me. 

Hopever without a SB win its just another Buffalo Blown opportunity, and that is something I will continue to bit ch about. Even if we do get to the SB and win it, if we look like chit anytime after that I'm still gonna b it ch, because the only goal is to win championships.

I AIN'T MISSING CHIT, I'm emotionally smack dab in the middle of it

Same could be said during the OJ era. I know he is viewed as a POS now, but he was/is considered one of the greatest RBs in the NFL history. But if you ask any Bills fan who was around during the 70's they will tell you that decade mostly sucked with Bills football.

• Agree 1

Nowadays getting to a Super Bowl is one the most difficult tasks for a pro sports team. Plus, Buffalo has the very best team in the NFL in their way... the Kansas City Chiefs.

This reminds me of the 90's Buffalo Bills that kept KC, Miami, and Denver out of the SB for four years... only KC is better and has a dynasty like the Patriots. 

All we can do as Bills fans is hope that the KC dynasty doesn't last 20 years as the Patriots did...:(

I have faith in Brandon Beane, McD to get this team into a SB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This has been on my mind a lot since my grandson forced me to watch the "Pro Bowl" competitions. My wife was there and said "Payton Manning is my favorite QB of all time, next to Jim Kelly" and I can dig that, I LOVED watching Manning play.  But it got me to realize how much I miss watching him play.  Along with guys like Kelly, Elway, Marino, Moon, Young, Montana, etc.  

Many of us have been a Bills fan for a long time and we desperately want a Superbowl win, but are we cheating ourselves when it comes to Josh?  I say this because I sat back and thought about how much I missed watching those guys play and it hit me, Josh just finished year 6, how many more do we have him?  6-8 More years is my guess so he might be halfway through his career already, and all we can do is talk Superbowl.  

Maybe we are missing it?  We have THE best QB (A pure generational QB) in the NFL and I think we want a Super bowl for us and him, so bad that we aren't just sitting back and enjoying watching him play, enjoying what we have.  I plan on trying to just sit back each game and enjoy with my grandson watching Josh just sling the damn ball around the field, and hopefully, we get a title in the process.

Yeah. We should just be happy with mediocrity and being perpetual losers.

22 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

It's been years since the words "mediocrity" and "Bills" have been uttered in the same sentence, and Josh's record as a starter is 63-30. When wins outnumber losses by more than 2:1, I'd hardly call that team a "perpetual loser."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It's been years since the words "mediocrity" and "Bills" have been uttered in the same sentence, and Josh's record as a starter is 63-30. When wins outnumber losses by more than 2:1, I'd hardly call that team a "perpetual loser."

What defines a "Winner" in the NFL ?

8 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

What defines a "Winner" in the NFL ?

Let’s start by defining “perpetual loser”, your phrase. And a ridiculous one. Josh is 63-30, and our coach has the highest winning percentage in franchise history. We’ve won the AFCE each of the last 4 seasons. That doesn’t sound like a perpetual loser to me. It sounds more like whining. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Absolutely!  We all know that winning the Superbowl would be the pinnacle of many of our lives when it comes to entertainment.  Not reaching that moment obviously has been a pain point for many of us.  With that said, the amount of joy and entertainment that Josh has provided to me has been tremendous, it's been a pleasure watching Josh, our MF'ing QB do things that no other QB on this planet can do.  Not just in the wins that he has afforded us but how he has done it which arguably is the most entertaining QB we have seen in our lifetimes.  

I'm appreciative that we are able to experience this and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

Let’s start by defining “perpetual loser”, your phrase. And a ridiculous one. Josh is 63-30, and our coach has the highest winning percentage in franchise history. We’ve won the AFCE each of the last 4 seasons. That doesn’t sound like a perpetual loser to me. It sounds more like whining. 

" Winner" in professional sports is defined by the number of Championships one has. 

Being in a perpetually weak division didn't hurt our advancing the past six years.  

Not being able to advance past KC is telling.

Now teams are catching up. Once Brady left(A WINNER) our fortunes began to change.

As a Bills fan since 1973, you may be content with nice & Shiney participation trophys, but I certainly am not. 

1 hour ago, Returntoglory said:

I missed the part where he said or implied be happy with mediocrity and be perpetual losers.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

I missed the part where he said or implied be happy with mediocrity and be perpetual losers.

I'm paraphrasing. 

"

Maybe we are missing it?  We have THE best QB (A pure generational QB) in the NFL and I think we want a Super bowl for us and him, so bad that we aren't just sitting back and enjoying watching him play, enjoying what we have.  I plan on trying to just sit back each game and enjoy with my grandson watching Josh just sling the damn ball around the field, and hopefully, we get a title in the process."

29 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

I'm paraphrasing. 

"

Maybe we are missing it?  We have THE best QB (A pure generational QB) in the NFL and I think we want a Super bowl for us and him, so bad that we aren't just sitting back and enjoying watching him play, enjoying what we have.  I plan on trying to just sit back each game and enjoy with my grandson watching Josh just sling the damn ball around the field, and hopefully, we get a title in the process."

I have enjoyed watching the Bills with Josh during the regular season. They have done a lot of winning as the 4 AFCE titles are proof of that. But the playoff losses are frustrating and if they don't win it all with Josh at least once it would be disappointing.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

As a Bills fan since 1973, you may be content with nice & Shiney participation trophys, but I certainly am not. 

I suspect by your tenor this will be a futile endeavor, however, here goes... if the only enjoyment you derive from football comes from winning a championship and you are a fan of the Buffalo Bills, then, unless you are old enough to have witnessed the AFL championship seasons, you are suggesting that you have not had a single fulfilling moment as a fan of this team. If that is the case, then you are missing out on a lot of great football these last few seasons. Acknowledging this team has been fun to watch does not mean you've lowered the bar from wanting them to win a championship. Accepting a championship as the only fulfillment you can derive from watching this team, however, seems like a self-torture and a poor use of time spent over the course of a lifetime.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I agree with what you are saying. Josh is fun to watch and probably would have a Super Bowl by now if not for Pat Mahommes. The thing is I ain't getting any younger and all I want in this life is to see my Buffalo BIlls hoist the Lombardi trophy once before I die. Without a Super Bowl championship it all means nothing. We have all suffered enough. The fans need this. Josh is probably my last hope to see this happen. So please for all that is holy just win 1.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I've been watching this team since the late 1980s.  Now my kids are the same age I was during the Super Bowl years.

My grandfather passed away without seeing the Bills win the Super Bowl.  Now my father is over 70.

Yeah, it's nice to have a player like Josh Allen under center.  But I've experienced having great players before.  Even the drought teams had some fantastic individual talents that I enjoyed watching like LeSean McCoy, Kyle Williams, etc.

What I've never experienced is seeing my team a top the football world... not even just ONE time.  When I sit back and consider that Brady and Mahomes have enough rings to fill up two hands, while my own family is on the 4th generation of fandom and still has nothing to show for it.  That's why my full focus is on the Lombardi.

Those late '80's teams are some of my 1st memories.  I agree w/ what you're saying here - at this point of my fandom, I have had plenty of entertainment from teams that either never had a chance, or had their chance but failed.

But I still love watching Allen play, and watching this iteration of the Bills.  Allen may not be the best of all time or even the best right now - but to me, he is the most entertaining QB to watch in NFL history.  Maybe Fran Tarkenton comes close.

I'm appreciating it.  I love watching football every week now, and love seeing this team relevant again after the past few decades.  I'm definitely trying to go into each season w/ more of a mindset of enjoying the games, and hoping for a title.  I don't want to be in week 4 or 5 and thinking "none of this matters unless we get the prize."

That said, I'll have no peace until we win it all.  But that's kind of a separate concept.

2 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

How people think this way is beyond infuriating.  Especially when we can all agree Josh is a generational talent.  A potential all time great and yet afc championship appearances are far and few in between let alone the Super Bowl. But hey let’s enjoy the ride as half of his career is potentially wasted. Participation trophies for everyone because after all it’s better than the drought years.  Ridiculous. Maybe we can have another 6 years like this and we can all feel good because we are relevant again.  Disgusting. News flash for everyone, Josh would make any mediocre coach and gm look good. This team does not have a championship team feel at all, like the bills teams of the 90’s.  And yet we have a potential better qb better than Jim Kelly.  Let that sink in. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.