Greatest All-Star Band Ever?

ChevyVanMiller

Completely agreed re Nicky Hopkins. After listening to some of his stuff, it is interesting to detect similarities in completely different songs. Compare e.g. the piano parts in "She's  A Rainbow" by the Stones and "Hey Fredrick" by Jefferson Airplane, and you know it is Hopkins.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DrW said:

Completely agreed re Nicky Hopkins. After listening to some of his stuff, it is interesting to detect similarities in completely different songs. Compare e.g. the piano parts in "She's  A Rainbow" by the Stones and "Hey Fredrick" by Jefferson Airplane, and you know it is Hopkins.

When you look at a list of the songs and albums on which he played it is just simply amazing that one guy played on so many of the greatest albums and songs with so many different bands.

• Like (+1) 1

This recording doesn't do the live experience justice, and I saw this trio on another night with 5,000 of my closest friends at Yosemite (imagine that scene!), but when all is said and done it has to be the greatest night of music I've ever experienced.  Stanley Clarke was just magical- they all were, but the *****-eating grin on Clarke's face through the entire show was just a reflection of how good he knew it was.  (Edit- don't watch this video, skip to the link below)

Not a rock supergroup, but it's a supergroup alright.   After the show, as we were all walking out, a guy in front of us said to his friends, "You know what's sad... it's that... we'll never see anything like this ever again."  I heard him, I got it, and he was dead on- astounding, stupefying show.   The kind of thing that reminds you of how incomprehensibly great we can be when we just do things right.  

Nevermind- I found the show!  That's Dallas Dobro announcing at the beginning.  This is the show I saw!!!!!!

https://archive.org/details/trio-fleck-clarke-ponty-2005-strawberry-music-fest-hrr/01+South.flac

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett
  • Like (+1) 2

In the world of Jazz, I offer the 1974 version of Return to Forever.  Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola and Lenny White.

They played a concert at my college and it was a great concert.

• Like (+1) 3

Damn Yankees were an American rock supergroup formed in New York City, in 1989. Consisting of singer/guitarist Tommy Shaw of Styx, singer/bassist Jack Blades of Night Ranger, guitarist Ted Nugent of the Amboy Dukes, and drummer Michael Cartellone.

Edited by Jauronimo

There are so many. 

This isn't "the best", but it was definitely unique, especially if you like piano players.

Jerry Lee Lewis

Little Richard

Ray Charles

Fats Domino

With BB King and Bo Diddly on guitar.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

In the world of Jazz, I offer the 1974 version of Return to Forever.  Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola and Lenny White.

They played a concert at my college and it was a great concert.

We saw this exact version around 10 years ago in Clearwater... maybe a bit longer, ... a super band but not a supergroup.

11 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Damn Yankees were an American rock supergroup formed in New York City, in 1989. Consisting of singer/guitarist Tommy Shaw of Styx, singer/bassist Jack Blades of Night Ranger, guitarist Ted Nugent of the Amboy Dukes, and drummer Michael Cartellone.

Only 1 supergroup guy in this line up imo....

• Like (+1) 2

I love collaborations between people with totally different musical styles. They are in each others company for a night. And what ends up happening is so chill and FUN while not necessairily a "band" per se. But for one glorious night. And of course I have a clip in mind. Absolutely FUN and Glorious LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, muppy said:

I love collaborations between people with totally different musical styles. They are in each others company for a night. And what ends up happening is so chill and FUN while not necessairily a "band" per se. But for one glorious night. And of course I have a clip in mind. Absolutely FUN and Glorious LOL

Amen.

The following is not really an "All Star band", but in terms of great artists with disparate styles collaborating in a way that combines their talents to satisfying effect...it's hard to beat Beyonce and Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder singing Bob Marley's Redemption Song.

(side note...Beyonce and Eddie Vedder's baby would be the best looking and most talented human ever created, but I digress...)

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...