Final in depth Salary Cap update by the Cover 1 crew

I looked at his list and the Athletic’s list and there are 13 guys they agree have potential cap savings, but not necessarily on what to do. Both ended up with 70 million in cap savings.  They both looked at restructuring Allen, McGovern, Knox, Milano and Bates.  They also agreed on extensions for Dawkins, Douglas and T. Johnson.  Where they disagreed on how to get the cap savings was Harty, Hines, White, Poyer and Morse.  Tompsett suggests pay cuts for all 5 players.  Hines and Harty may take a cut, but Poyer and Morse won’t.  White may take a cut, but I doubt that as well. The Athletic suggests extensions for White and Morse using void years and non-guarantees (White) to get the cap down and a restructuring for Poyer.  Personally, I’d move on from both Harty and Hines and save 8.7 million.  Both are easily replaced.

Tompsett also suggested looking at restructuring Diggs since he isn’t going anywhere for the next 3 years, releasing Martin, a pay cut for Neal and restructure for Oliver.  These moves could potentially save another 20+.  

Re-signing D Jones was the panels highest priority.  Others mentioned Edwards, Floyd, Ty Johnson, Epenesa (although he’s probably too expensive to re-sign) and Dane Jackson or Rapp.  

They also mentioned Elliott at RB and Mooney at WR.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m trying to figure out why people think Tre’Davious White wouldn’t take a pay cut

Two. Devastating injuries to both of his legs getting on in years.

He seems like a prime candidate for a paycut

Agree. 

When Beane was first hired one of the things he said and it's stuck with me is along the lines of "the locker room pays attention to who you pay and how you treat them". Tre is a popular person in the Bills organization who has spent his entire career here and been an exemplary team leader. You don't just cut bait there. Sends a really poor message 

What they can do is offer him the cut in pay while giving him incentives to make a fair amount back. Helps the Bills salary cap wise. Helps Tre as if his options are "pay cut or we gotta let ya go" he'll likely still see more from the Bills than he will on the open market. It's a win/win.  Bills get some cap relief and Tre gets to stay with the only team he's known and likely makes more than he would as a street FA.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m trying to figure out why people think Tre’Davious White wouldn’t take a pay cut

Two. Devastating injuries to both of his legs getting on in years.

He seems like a prime candidate for a paycut

Its up to his wife.  Thats not some BS knock, when you are married and have a kid you gotta run it past the boss. Less millions is still Millions and thats how I would look at it

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree. 

When Beane was first hired one of the things he said and it's stuck with me is along the lines of "the locker room pays attention to who you pay and how you treat them". Tre is a popular person in the Bills organization who has spent his entire career here and been an exemplary team leader. You don't just cut bait there. Sends a really poor message 

What they can do is offer him the cut in pay while giving him incentives to make a fair amount back. Helps the Bills salary cap wise. Helps Tre as if his options are "pay cut or we gotta let ya go" he'll likely still see more from the Bills than he will on the open market. It's a win/win.  Bills get some cap relief and Tre gets to stay with the only team he's known and likely makes more than he would as a street FA.

But the locker room has seen him contribute next to nothing in over 2 years and coming off another major injury that imho is worse than an ACL for a CB.  They also understand the business.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Its up to his wife.  Thats not some BS knock, when you are married and have a kid you gotta run it past the boss. Less millions is still Millions and thats how I would look at it

But the locker room has seen him contribute next to nothing in over 2 years and coming off another major injury that imho is worse than an ACL for a CB.  They also understand the business.

Disagree. YOU have seen him contribute what you are calling next to nothing.

What the guys in the locker room have seen is a guy work hard to com back from a major injury. Finish last season being less than himself and work a hard off season to come back better to start this season...which he did. 

They see that same guy suffer an unfortunate injury and start to come back again. And while they understand the business just simply cutting bait on a player like Tre without giving him options to stay and compete send a very poor message. 

We aren't the ***** Jets.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I have a difficult time understanding the why:

1. Resigning a 33 year old DT (come December 2024) who played in just seven games last year, is a high priority for this team. 
  2. Resigning a 32 year old pass rusher who faded in the second half of the season.
  3. The importance of keeping a demonstrably slower Jordan Poyer and a cornerback (White) that's had two season ending injuries in the past 3 years. 

The Bills have to get out of the business of old players, especially on defense and how much of the finite cap dollars do you want tied up in seeing what Tre White's got?.  That's the hard decision to make. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I need to take a full listen as I could only hear what they were streaming live at the gym last night, but some of the prevailing headwinds are to stand pat with Diggs contract. That will make some on here happy

Yeah... Greg is all but guaranteeing Diggs is on the team through the 2026 season because of how much we would still owe him if we released him before then.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Re-signing D Jones was the panels highest priority.    

I would like to have Daquan Jones back but I think he probably signs with the Chicago Bears right away in free agency.  

I was told by a reliable source that he packed up his entire household in Buffalo after the season and moved everything to Nashville............he could have waited on that if he thought he might have to stay in Buffalo.       

• Shocked 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would like to have Daquan Jones back but I think he probably signs with the Chicago Bears right away in free agency.  

I was told by a reliable source that he packed up his entire household in Buffalo after the season and moved everything to Nashville............he could have waited on that if he thought he might have to stay in Buffalo.       

I'm not disputing your source's info, but thinking that it mean's DaQuan is a goner seems a bit like jumping to conclusions. 

But if we ARE playing the "using circumstantial evidence to guess at outcomes" game, I'd like to point out that Jones hasn't sounded like a guy super eager to sign elsewhere on social media lately.

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, dpberr said:

1. Resigning a 33 year old DT (come December 2024) who played in just seven games last year, is a high priority for this team. 
  2. Resigning a 32 year old pass rusher who faded in the second half of the season.
  3. The importance of keeping a demonstrably slower Jordan Poyer and a cornerback (White) that's had two season ending injuries in the past 3 years. 

The Bills have to get out of the business of old players, especially on defense and how much of the finite cap dollars do you want tied up in seeing what Tre White's got?.  That's the hard decision to make. 

Because that 33-year-old defensive tackle was playing at an all pro level last year

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Yeah.........I think it's time to execute a youth-centric re-tool defensively...........and I also think Beane is finally a good enough personnel man that I might even trust him to be able to pull it off.     Extending/re-working all of these old, injured players just doesn't seem wise. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I 100% agree with this. Get younger and faster and quick 

32 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Run his contract decisions by his wife ? lol my goodness 

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Those guys think Diggs will still be a 100 catch WR. Did they not watch how Brady deployed him? 

Di you notice the lack of a good No. 2 WR to take some of the pressure off Diggs?  If we get Diggs a good complimentary boundary receiver, Diggs should have a great bounce-back year.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Those guys think Diggs will still be a 100 catch WR. Did they not watch how Brady deployed him? 

I predict his best year is next year.  Brady will be good for him but there will be some learning this offseason.   Brady is absolutely the best POC for him now.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm not disputing your source's info, but thinking that it mean's DaQuan is a goner seems a bit like jumping to conclusions. 

But if we ARE playing the "using circumstantial evidence to guess at outcomes" game, I'd like to point out that Jones hasn't sounded like a guy super eager to sign elsewhere on social media lately.

DQJ is the No 1 guy they bring back …

The position he plays is not as age reliant as others… and they love their “veteran in every room “ philosophy…

They need to find his replacement in this years draft though … mid round pick should do it… Beane is really going to be earning his money rounds 3-5 this year … keep those picks this year Brandon 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah I didn't say that I thought he was going to the Bears because he moved out of Buffalo and back to Nashville(and as you see, he's tweeting from Nashville).  

I just suspect the Bears are going to go BIG in free agency to try to become next years Houston Texans or better with Caleb Williams on a rookie contract.

I'm sure they'd be in on Chris Jones first but I doubt he makes it to UFA.

Between his Bills DL coach being the Bears new DC and Pace showing an affinity for Bills players in free agency..........seems like a real good fit for him to get a nice 3 year type contract that aligns with Williams rookie window.       

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.