Final in depth Salary Cap update by the Cover 1 crew

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Leave as is - Diggs and Miller  (You only restructure guys you are fairly certain that will be with you the following year and neither in my view are certain)

This is a common misconception. Teams regularly structure contracts in this way, often using void years. I understand the thinking behind it. It’s unpalatable to see a large dead cap hit for a player that won’t be on the team so it’s easy to think that such a player can’t be cut. But there at times doing it is helpful. This season I think two possibilities are Poyer and Morse.  Both could be restructured with void years to move some of their cap hits out a season. That would help clear some room if the Bills need to take a big hit on Miller, Diggs or White this season.

As for Von Miller, if the team keeps him this season then a restructure actually makes a lot of sense. I think the plan all along has been to make him a designated June 1 cut next off-season. As it stands, I can see them moving on from him this off-season, especially if a league suspension voids his guarantees.

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Post June 1 trade seems unrealistic.  Teams make their big moves before the draft.  And I’m not sure how a 2025 draft pick helps the Bills very much.  The options are to cut him before his 2024 salary becomes guaranteed on march 14th or keep him.  I suppose a 3rd option is somebody gives Bills enough trade compensation that they eat the full $31m in dead cap this year, but can’t see that happening.  Diggs seems like he’s being a good soldier so far this off-season so Id be inclined to keep him.  

I think being here in 2024 is close to a lock. I am much less persuaded than the C1 guys that he is here beyond that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.