I guess Tyler Dunne was spot on...McD is too controlling and paranoid to work with...

eball

6 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Doubt either brady or babich got hired as oc or dcs by any club

Yea I disagree strongly. Babich 100% was getting hired. Brady wasn't a slam dunk looking at the teams that have hired OCs and trying to join dots on connections but I still think more likely he would than not.

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

If you think that McDermott is the primary reason that the Bills make the playoffs, please send me a PM and tell me what drugs you are taking. I too want to get that high.

My guess is LSD. Am I close?

Nice try copper!

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Doubt either brady or babich got hired as oc or dcs by any club

They both pry would've been hired elsewhere.  I'm more confident that Babich would've landed the GB, Miami, or Giants gig.  Between his previous time with the Browns and his father there were a lot of connections.  Brady maybe in Atlanta (HC interview there), Seattle, Oakland, or even Washington as offensive coordinator.  Seeing all those possible openings on the horizon may have sped up the process.

13 hours ago, billieve420 said:

I could see a regime change prior to opening of the new stadium if team continues to spin its wheels. Especially when it comes time to sell those PSLs.

Yeah, I mean who wants to see a team that wins 7 or 8 home games each year and makes the playoffs?  Tough sell indeed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Coaches have zero impact on their teams performance? Do I have that correct?
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Did you read my post? I asked if you think McDermott is the PRIMARY reason that the Bills have made the playoffs. Josh Allen was/is the main reason why the Bills are good, not McDermott.

Do I have that correct? 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Did you read my post? I asked if you think McDermott is the PRIMARY reason that the Bills have made the playoffs. Josh Allen was/is the main reason why the Bills are good, not McDermott.

Do I have that correct? 

Absolutely I think the head coach drives the team. You're a fool to think otherwise. Obviously talent plays a huge role. But this isn't a playground with Josh Allen drawing plays in the dirt with a stick. Talent without coaching is talent wasted. 

If your hatred for McDermott blinds you to his leadership in the second half of this season, or last year with Damar's near death on the field, then I don't know what to say.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Absolutely I think the head coach drives the team. You're a fool to think otherwise. Obviously talent plays a huge role. But this isn't a playground with Josh Allen drawing plays in the dirt with a stick. Talent without coaching is talent wasted. 

If your hatred for McDermott blinds you to his leadership in the second half of this season, or last year with Damar's near death on the field, then I don't know what to say.

You could start by not calling names. Trust me, your posts are legendary on this board for fan hating and rather mundane rants.  Still, posters are tolerant of your incessant blasting of Bills Fans and absolving McDermott from any blame for anything. 

Go back to your dream world. It must be fun. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

43 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You could start by not calling names. Trust me, your posts are legendary on this board for fan hating and rather mundane rants.  Still, posters are tolerant of your incessant blasting of Bills Fans and absolving McDermott from any blame for anything. 

Go back to your dream world. It must be fun. 

Ha ha okay, Bill. Is it fan hating or pointing out fan silliness? 

It's easy to break out the pitchforks and torches during a playoff drought. It takes a bit more effort to gin up outrage during a run like the Bills are having since McDermott became coach. But hats off to you, you manage to find a way. Carry on.

20 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

There is not a single fan that thinks a divisional round exit every year is a huge accomplishment. Lol. 

Um.  🙋‍♂️

It is a huge accomplishment.  It's just not the level of accomplishment we as fans (and the Pegulas as owners) want to peak at.

But it's still a huge accomplishment. 

It is very hard to win consistently in the NFL.  The season records are littered with teams that changed coaches, had a winning season or two, went to the playoffs, and then subsided to mediocrity. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Um.  🙋‍♂️

It is a huge accomplishment.  It's just not the level of accomplishment we as fans (and the Pegulas as owners) want to peak at.

It is very hard to win consistently in the NFL.  The season records are littered with teams that changed coaches, had a winning season or two, went to the playoffs, and then subsided to mediocrity. 

No, fans don't want to peak at the divisional round. We want more. Stop being delusional 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No, fans don't want to peak at the divisional round. We want more. Stop being delusional 

Dude.  You said, quote "There is not a single fan that thinks a divisional round exit every year is a huge accomplishment. Lol. "

That is a statement which is disprovable by a single fan who thinks 3 successive playoff years is, in fact, a huge accomplishment - not the end goal, but still a huge accomplishment.

I am that single fan

I believe there are others, but I suffice to disprove your original statement (which you've changed, by the way - no, I was not responding to a claim that "fans want to peak at the divisional round", that's a different statement.

Stand down, I'm not the delusional one.  Yes, we want more, but that doesn't take away from what the team has done as a "huge accomplisment"; it is.

Edited by Beck Water

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Um.  🙋‍♂️

Compared to the average team, sure. Making it to the final 8 every year would be considered an accomplishment. But with Josh Allen at QB it’s decidedly underachieving. Ofc each fan can decide how they feel about the whole situation. Personally I think it’s a travesty to excuse such failure. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Compared to the average team, sure. Making it to the final 8 every year would be considered an accomplishment. But with Josh Allen at QB it’s decidedly underachieving. Ofc each fan can decide how they feel about the whole situation. Personally I think it’s a travesty to excuse such failure. 

These playoff failures have gotten old, but will Terry do anything about it if we have another disappointing playoff next year. That is assuming the Bills get there. They should but there are no guarantees.

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

"Excuse such failure" is not the question here.  The question was whether winning seasons, division winner, 2nd playoff round year after year is a huge accomplishment.  And objectively, it is.

But since you want to go there.....Football is the ultimate TEAM SPORT.  Teams aren't entitled to and don't achieve greatness year after year simply because they have a great QB.  Peyton Manning was undeniably a great QB.  He played in the league 6 seasons before making it to a conference championship - which the team lost.  He played in the league 9 seasons before they won a Superbowl, then 12 seasons before another Superbowl appearance, which they lost.  Nothing is given, even with a great QB.

I don't even know what the words mean "travesty to excuse such failure".  What does that mean to you?  What is excusing it?

Athletes and fans of athletes have goals - let's use an example winning an Olympic Gold Medal.  That's the goal.  But there are many smaller goals that are still huge achievements - making his country's Olympic team, earning his country's team an Olympic spot through results in lead-up events etc.  Why is it a "travesty" or "excuse" to say yes, he didn't make his ultimate goal, but what he accomplished is still a huge achievement and puts him in the top 20 or 30 divers in the world?

What is it you want to hear, or to see happen with the Bills? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

"Excuse such failure" is not the question here.  The question was whether winning seasons, division winner, 2nd playoff round year after year is a huge accomplishment.  And objectively, it is.

But since you want to go there.....Football is the ultimate TEAM SPORT.  Teams aren't entitled to and don't achieve greatness year after year simply because they have a great QB.  Peyton Manning was undeniably a great QB.  He played in the league 6 seasons before making it to a conference championship - which the team lost.  He played in the league 9 seasons before they won a Superbowl, then 12 seasons before another Superbowl appearance, which they lost.  Nothing is given, even with a great QB.

I don't even know what the words mean "travesty to excuse such failure".  What does that mean to you?  What is excusing it?

Athletes and fans of athletes have goals - let's use an example winning an Olympic Gold Medal.  That's the goal.  But there are many smaller goals that are still huge achievements - making his country's Olympic team, earning his country's team an Olympic spot through results in lead-up events etc.  Why is it a "travesty" or "excuse" to say yes, he didn't make his ultimate goal, but what he accomplished is still a huge achievement and puts him in the top 20 or 30 divers in the world?

I answered the question succinctly. While it’s not reasonable to expect a Patriots-esque dynasty even with one of the best few QBs in the league, it’s also a failure to not achieve more than what the Bills have to date. It’s like having one of the 3 fastest cars in the Indy 500 and always finishing in the top 10, but never coming close to winning it. Year after year after year. Someone isn’t making the most of what they have.

The Bills have the deck stacked in their favor and they have been nothing more than a middling playoff team. It’s frustrating because their potential consistently exceeds their results. This isn’t about any one season, it’s about the pattern of  underperformance. 

33 minutes ago, Gregg said:

These playoff failures have gotten old, but will Terry do anything about it if we have another disappointing playoff next year. That is assuming the Bills get there. They should but there are no guarantees.

Next offseason will see the Bills part ways with a lot of expensive vets. It’s a logical pivot point to a new HC, but I agree with you - no guarantees. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Bills have to date. It’s like having one of the 3 fastest cars in the Indy 500 and always finishing in the top 10, but never coming close to winning it. Year after year after year. Someone isn’t making the most of what they have.

This is a good metaphor IMO.

This version of the Bills is not different from any of the better San Diego Charger teams when Rivers was there and younger and really good.  They never got anywhere.  We are the same right now.

The only people not seeing this are Bills fans!  Which should not be surprising.

Right now, the question is "Is it time for McDermott to go?

Next year, the question among fans will shift to "Does Pegula even care?  Why won't he fire the guy!"

I can see a world where Pegula finally parts with McD right around the time Josh's legs start to go, and he regresses as an overall offensive threat.   

That would be so very Billsy.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Dude.  You said, quote "There is not a single fan that thinks a divisional round exit every year is a huge accomplishment. Lol. "

That is a statement which is disprovable by a single fan who thinks 3 successive playoff years is, in fact, a huge accomplishment - not the end goal, but still a huge accomplishment.

I am that single fan

I believe there are others, but I suffice to disprove your original statement (which you've changed, by the way - no, I was not responding to a claim that "fans want to peak at the divisional round", that's a different statement.

Stand down, I'm not the delusional one.  Yes, we want more, but that doesn't take away from what the team has done as a "huge accomplisment"; it is.

Making the playoffs is an accomplishment. But it is not the "ultimate" accomplishment. This should not have to be explained. It's common sense. No fan on the planet is ok with a divisional round exit over a Super Bowl. You're making it sound like it's the goal of fans. It's not

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

What the Chiefs have done is a huge accomplishment. What the Bills have done is won the division 4 times and made the playoffs. It's a nice but not a huge accomplishment. Need a Super Bowl win or even appearance for that. I bet Pats fans don't even think about all of the AFCE titles they won for one second when thinking about their dynasty years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gregg said:

What the Chiefs have done is a huge accomplishment. What the Bills have done is won the division 4 times and made the playoffs. It's a nice but not a huge accomplishment. Need a Super Bowl win or even appearance for that. I bet Pats fans don't even think about all of the AFCE titles they won for one second when thinking about their dynasty years.

IMO due to the drought years, many are afraid to go back to that. Many are happy to be a playoff contender every season and have a shot on the Lombardi. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

IMO due to the drought years, many are afraid to go back to that. Many are happy to be a playoff contender every season and have a shot on the Lombardi. 

This is literally the only reasonable bar for success.  Demanding a championship or bust is perhaps understandable on an emotional level for any given low-information fan, but that is not a reasonable way to run a successful NFL organization.

It isn't as though the rabid masses would give the Bills a free pass if they did, in fact, do a major shakeup and still didn't win make the Superbowl.  They would be furious that the Bills had not conjured up a championship out of the ether and demand more heads roll.  How could they fail, when blowing up a successful, functional organization was such an obvious and easy move to make?

The league's history is littered with great QBs who never won a Superbowl.  The sense of entitlement it takes to presume that a great QB will get there year-after-year unless the coaching is terrible is beyond absurd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It's really a shame that so many people can't understand or appreciate all of the luck that is involved for a team to reach the Super Bowl.  KC is on an extraordinary heater right now with Mahomes, just like NE*** was with Brady -- but look at how one or two plays here or there could have changed the story.  Those are two really great teams, with great QBs, who also got extremely lucky at all the right times.

That's not coaching.

After the Denver loss this season I was ready to move on from McDermott but the changes he made showed me that he does "get it" and is driven to lead the Bills to the Super Bowl.  Every coach has situations he looks back upon and wonders if he made the right call.  Sean has made more right calls than wrong ones, and putting up a JV squad defense against Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, and Travis Kelce was a losing proposition to begin with.  Even so, the gameplan McD implemented/oversaw had the Bills in position at the end of the game.  Luck wasn't with us.

We will get there.  All you can reasonably ask as a fan is to have a team that is in the conversation every year.  We have that.  If your expectation is Super Bowl or bust simply because we have Josh Allen, I don't know what to tell you other than you're going to spend a lot of your time disappointed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 1/30/2024 at 5:51 PM, Logic said:

As someone who found a lot of what was in the Dunne piece to be illuminating and probably truthful...

Two things that have happened since have been kind of damning to that report:

The first was the Wink Martindale/Brian Daboll fallout. Whereas it looked like the rather public breakup of McDermott and Daboll was more on McDermott, seeing Daboll be unable to make it work with a second consecutive defensive mind makes one wonder. 

The second was the fact that, as the OP mentioned, two coveted young coordinators chose to stick around in Buffalo rather than go elsewhere, even though both garnered significant interest. Babich, in particular, was surprising, choosing to stick around under a defensive-minded head coach who may still continue to call plays rather than potentially spread his wings under an offensive minded guy.

Lastly, the way the team rallied around McDermott after the piece came out also sort of poked a bit of a hole in the "no one likes playing for this control freak" narrative. 

The more that time has gone on and the more that's happened, the less accurate Dunne's piece has looked. 

With all of that said, the Bills still lost in heartbreaking fashion in the Divisional round to the Kansas City Chiefs, and the major thesis of Dunne's piece was that McDermott tenses up in big moments and that the Bills need to move on from him to ever reach the Super Bowl, so.....he hasn't entirely been proven wrong thus far.

I agree with this but it is also possible being outed like that forced McD to change some of his behavior. A lot of the ridiculous game management (that happened as recently as the Philly game) stopped. If this team wins one we may want to put a Dunne statue out front with Ralph. 

7 hours ago, eball said:

It's really a shame that so many people can't understand or appreciate all of the luck that is involved for a team to reach the Super Bowl.  KC is on an extraordinary heater right now with Mahomes, just like NE*** was with Brady -- but look at how one or two plays here or there could have changed the story.  Those are two really great teams, with great QBs, who also got extremely lucky at all the right times.

That's not coaching.

After the Denver loss this season I was ready to move on from McDermott but the changes he made showed me that he does "get it" and is driven to lead the Bills to the Super Bowl.  Every coach has situations he looks back upon and wonders if he made the right call.  Sean has made more right calls than wrong ones, and putting up a JV squad defense against Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, and Travis Kelce was a losing proposition to begin with.  Even so, the gameplan McD implemented/oversaw had the Bills in position at the end of the game.  Luck wasn't with us.

We will get there.  All you can reasonably ask as a fan is to have a team that is in the conversation every year.  We have that.  If your expectation is Super Bowl or bust simply because we have Josh Allen, I don't know what to tell you other than you're going to spend a lot of your time disappointed.

Thank you. Agree with pretty much everything you said. The playoff  game against the Chiefs was two great teams going toe to toe, with a couple of plays (and a depleted defense) making the difference. 
I will say there have been some coaching missteps in the past and early this season but it was masterful down the stretch and even in that last game. We probably had no business being where we were with all the injuries but competed til the end. There is for sure an element of coaching that goes into that (as well as player leadership). 

The more removed I get from the disappointment of the loss, the more I can appreciate what a successful season it really was. We can only hope we get over the hump and win one but I’m going to enjoy the ride of having a superstar qb and a perennial playoff team as long as it lasts. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.