Gunner's 2024 Mock Draft - FINAL v3.0 NOW LIVE (p.13)

GunnerBill

Thanks Gunner. I always look forward to and enjoy these, and your reasoning is sound throughout.

I just can't seem to get excited about AD Mitchell. Maybe it's the tape that doesn't pop off the screen, maybe it's the talk of his taking routes off or having bad body language when he knows he won't be getting the ball in a given play, maybe it's that he's a jack of all trades and master of none. I just...don't look at him and think "now HERE'S a guy that's gonna take the Bills passing game to the next level". Am I wrong? Is there something you can tell me about him or a shine a light on that would make me feel better about his selection?

Assuming the board falls how you have it laid out, I'd rather see the Bills trade back, gain a 3rd round pick, and take a different receiver in round 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

But are they willing to drop down to 44 and miss out on their WR. If they are open to DT as the pick at 44 than I agree but if their looking solely at WR like a lot of people think 44 might be too big of a drop 

Or let's say Chop or Darius are there at 28...Would AZ, move up from 35 for 77 or 90?

Or would GB 41 and 88?

ATL. for 43 and 79?

Or even dropping 3 spots to SF for a late 3rd comp. pick?

Like I said in a post before, my ideal is moving up maybe 2 spots with TB for a 4th (Latu) and next years 1st to GB for 41 and 88. I'd throw back a 5th to make that happen.

We end up with 4 picks in the top 100, plus rds. 4-7 to find those hidden gems at CB/S and OL.

Latu

Sweat

2WRs then BPA the rest of the way.

Edited by nosejob
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Or let's say Chop or Darius are there at 28...Would AZ, move up from 35 for 77 or 90?

Or would GB 41 and 88?

ATL. for 43 and 79?

Or even dropping 3 spots to SF for a late 3rd comp. pick?

Like I said in a post before, my ideal is moving up maybe 2 spots with TB for a 4th (Latu) and next years 1st to GB for 41 and 88. I'd throw back a 5th to make that happen.

We end up with 4 picks in the top 100, plus rds. 4-7 to find those hidden gems at CB/S and OL.

Latu

Sweat

2WRs then BPA the rest of the way.

or a Safety? I'm beginning to think the hole there could be solved by bringing Hyde back next year.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, mrags said:

They had Chris Trapasso on WGR yesterday. He said #28 and next years 2nd gets you right around the 15-18 range.

also said #28 and next years 1st gets you right around 10-12 range. 

don’t shoot the messenger. Just going by what he said. 

Could probably end up with Franklin and Sweat after a few smaller trades to move back up. Could probably have 44, 60, and 77 and trade that 77 along with something later (I don’t know the grades/chart) to move up. Getting 3 picks in the top 60. That would be huge. 

if Mitchell is there at 28 I say take him because you don’t know what’s going to happen. But if you told me now Mitchell and xx as it stands, or I could have Sweat, Franklin, and xx. I’d definitely take the Sweat and Franklin deal. 

Sweat is a guy I really want. If we grabbed both as you said, it's a damn good draft already.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I have warmed up to Mitchell. I'm not sure he has a single elite trait but his all around package plus his combine numbers make me think there is upside there to be a true #1. The only thing is I don't know if he'll be on our board if the reported work ethic/football character issues are true. That is one factor that the Bills have simply not been willing to look past.

If this looks to be a thing he won't be the pick. I like Bleacher Report scouting reports and one thing I like to look for is the comments that the prospect looks to make himself available to the QB. To me that is a must have work ethic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

But are they willing to drop down to 44 and miss out on their WR. If they are open to DT as the pick at 44 than I agree but if their looking solely at WR like a lot of people think 44 might be too big of a drop 

We could do this, and then move up from 44. 4th comp gets you to 40, add one of our late 5th and we could go back to 37 or so.

If we could get Legette this way at 37 and add pick 77 I would be more than happy. But it is very risky so I'd probably rather stay put and pick our WR at 28.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

or a Safety? I'm beginning to think the hole there could be solved by bringing Hyde back next year.

There's also been talk about Simmons being available post draft. I wouldn't mind Hyde back. I do however think we can find 2 quality prospects later in the draft...hopefully.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nosejob said:

There's also been talk about Simmons being available post draft. I wouldn't mind Hyde back. I do however think we can find 2 quality prospects later in the draft...hopefully.

We need to get younger on defense. Especially the interior DL.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

We could do this, and then move up from 44. 4th comp gets you to 40, add one of our late 5th and we could go back to 37 or so.

If we could get Legette this way at 37 and add pick 77 I would be more than happy. But it is very risky so I'd probably rather stay put and pick our WR at 28.

To me it seems way easier just moving down into the 30s than trying to make multiple separate trades and hoping you have 3 teams willing to accept trades with your compensation terms 

• Like (+1) 1

Wr rd 1.  Trade up for De rd 2.  I think Trice, Baswell, or Kneeland will be drafted by Buffalo.  Can play 3 downs instantly and be part of the rotation.   They can wait a little for 3tech and secondary depth. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Thanks Gunner. I always look forward to and enjoy these, and your reasoning is sound throughout.

I just can't seem to get excited about AD Mitchell. Maybe it's the tape that doesn't pop off the screen, maybe it's the talk of his taking routes off or having bad body language when he knows he won't be getting the ball in a given play, maybe it's that he's a jack of all trades and master of none. I just...don't look at him and think "now HERE'S a guy that's gonna take the Bills passing game to the next level". Am I wrong? Is there something you can tell me about him or a shine a light on that would make me feel better about his selection?

Assuming the board falls how you have it laid out, I'd rather see the Bills trade back, gain a 3rd round pick, and take a different receiver in round 2.

Here's how to think about all that. His QB sucked and is mostly a first read / half field read guy in an offense that spread the ball all over the place. Texas had 15 guys below Mitchell on the depth chart catch nearly 60% of their receptions. 

There will be a huge difference playing with Josh Allen. Josh throws the ball everywhere on the field, the play is never dead, and the Bills are very top heavy in their targets. 

And then the major plus to Mitchell's game is his clutch genes. Big game, crucial moment TD's. Including national championship winning score. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Here's how to think about all that. His QB sucked and is mostly a first read / half field read guy in an offense that spread the ball all over the place. Texas had 15 guys below Mitchell on the depth chart catch nearly 60% of their receptions. 

There will be a huge difference playing with Josh Allen. Josh throws the ball everywhere on the field, the play is never dead, and the Bills are very top heavy in their targets. 

And then the major plus to Mitchell's game is his clutch genes. Big game, crucial moment TD's. Including national championship winning score. 

I think AD has a high ceiling and I'd be happy to have him.  However, 

there's clips of Mitchell taking plays off when he knows he isn't getting the ball that are somewhat alarming

I'm sure teams will really want a satisfactory explanation

Edited by Warriorspikes51

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think AD has a high ceiling and I'd be happy to have him.  However, 

there's clips of Mitchell taking plays off when he knows he isn't getting the ball that are somewhat alarming

I'm sure teams will really want a satisfactory explanation

Sounds like a great smoke screen to try to make sure he's available at 28.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mrags said:

They had Chris Trapasso on WGR yesterday. He said #28 and next years 2nd gets you right around the 15-18 range.

also said #28 and next years 1st gets you right around 10-12 range. 

don’t shoot the messenger. Just going by what he said. 

Could probably end up with Franklin and Sweat after a few smaller trades to move back up. Could probably have 44, 60, and 77 and trade that 77 along with something later (I don’t know the grades/chart) to move up. Getting 3 picks in the top 60. That would be huge. 

if Mitchell is there at 28 I say take him because you don’t know what’s going to happen. But if you told me now Mitchell and xx as it stands, or I could have Sweat, Franklin, and xx. I’d definitely take the Sweat and Franklin deal. 

If Odunze slips to 10-12, I wouldn’t mind this trade. 

A few years back the Bills switched firsts (10 for 27) and next years first, right?  I know there’s a few value charts floating around, but that seemed to be the one Bills were using a few years back. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

If Odunze slips to 10-12, I wouldn’t mind this trade. 

A few years back the Bills switched firsts (10 for 27) and next years first, right?  I know there’s a few value charts floating around, but that seemed to be the one Bills were using a few years back. 

No the Bills  traded 10 for 27, a 3rd, and a next years first. Poster either misheard or Trapasso is off on his valuation 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The only thing I'll say is a lot, if not all WRs take some plays off when they know they're not getting the ball. But once you're pegged as a guy that takes off plays it becomes the entire story around you. Perhaps the Bills will find that the story doesn't match the tape. Nobody seems to question his willingness to play when he knows he might be getting the ball.

My concern with Mitchell is that he doesn't have WR1 traits. I could see him being a very good WR2 but of course we want more than that from a 1st round pick. I would feel better about him being the pick if it came after a trade back.

• Agree 2

Gunner nice work as usual. Thanks for sharing. I think WR also but feel like the grades are similar on a bunch of them after the 1st 4 or 5. In this mock I'd rather give up #28, next years 2nd and one of our 4ths this year to get Thomas.